Sign in to follow this  
channonswindmill

A hero after a relegation.

Norwich hsve been missing that cult hero aka, a Holt/Huckerby type player...I remember after relegation in the eighties picking up kevin Drinkell, from Grimbsy Town and he was an instant bloody hit..as a teenagers in the Barclay me and my mates worshipped him..lets hope there are more hidden gems out there like him..worth ten of the RVW/ high paid/ low affinity player of today''s era. Shopping lower basement is not always so bad for a club like ours.

I honestly think this sort of thing doesn''t matter all that much. We have plenty of players willing to put their bodies on the line for the club: Snodgrass, Turner, Johnson, Ryan Bennett, Russell Martin, even Martin Olsson can not be accused of hiding when the going got tough.

The problem was in the coaching, man management and approach by Chris Hughton and his team. No ''cult hero'' would have changed how the life was drained out of us by a rigid 4-1-4-1 with a static midfield.

Fair play to Holty for seeing how it would stifle him and getting out before it ruined his legacy.

I agree with the original poster, we were missing a hero last season. These types of players seem to rub off on the rest of the team and and I believe can turn a game around. I was hoping Snoddy would fill the gap but he didn''t sadly. During the youth team FA cup run it''s well known that Holty would round up the first team and make sure they were at the games to support the younger lads, during his time here Ewan could come on with 30 mins to go and completly change a game, Hucks was like a one man team and would lead by example until the rest joined in so yes I think we were missing somebody like this.

Heroes at clubs tend to be people who score lots of goals. Drinkell being a good example. Also, Fleck, Sutton, Holt, Iwan.And the unpalatable fact is that under the sterile, boring Hughton mantra the team itself did not score many goals, so hardly surprising that any one player would. So, no likelihood of heroes emerging .But it would not take much to change that. It''s not totally beyond the realms of possibility that if Hooper or RvW stay, and are played regularly next season, things could just click, and the goals will flow. And then you can bet your bottom dollar that they will both become overnight heroes, with all last season''s misdemeanours quickly forgotten.