Sign in to follow this  
danielsroundabout

Fate Worse Than Death

[quote user="Reggie Strayshun"]To my mind there is no "assuming" going on by anybody here. With the info we''ve been privy to, all we can do is have hunches, opinions and attitudes. There''s no right or wrong about this, unless (and this is about as likely as Nigel Farage putting Nick Clegg on his Christmas card list) the board actually come out and give a page by page account as to what''s gone on re the managerial appointments at CR over the last few months.

But I wonder one simple thing. The board, and many people on here (most recently Jenkins this afternoon) have said that NA is a good candidate, the right man for the job, excellent manager material etc etc. So if that is the case why has his name never been mentioned (as far as we are aware) on any other club''s candidate list when managerial opportunities have come knocking ? OK, there was never any likelihood that he''d exactly be a shoo-in for a Champ, let alone Prem vacancy, but you''d have thought that an ''outstanding '' candidate like this might just have caught the eye of a Lge One or Lge Two club looking for a new boss over the last eighteen months ?
[/quote]

Reggie , you make an excellent point. Our ideal candidate, one that stood out above all others , after trawling through the Europe , was one that apparently no other club had identified as being a potential manager. If they did , it was kept very quiet. Very quiet indeed.

Could it be that we desired NA, and made him fit our ideal criteria , by introducing the all important "Norwich Way"?  

My suspicion is that he fitted the desired financial package nicely. And others did not. As Mick Dennis said other managers had their agents "sound out" the board. Im sure the first question would have been how much? Possibly the answer was not exactly what the agent was looking for?

[quote user="Jenkins"]I doubt he was on the market Reggie, perhaps he could see what a mess Hughton was in and biding his time. Do you know if he had been approached by other clubs?[/quote]Of course I don''t know that Jenkins . But you know how the football rumour mill works as well as I do, and all I''m musing is, if Neil Adams was the quality potential manager we''re all being led to believe, why was his name at the very least tossed into the hat for the many lower league vacancies that have been up for grabs in recent months ?I certainly do not remember his name being mentioned anywhere. This is not Adams-bashing. Purely an interesting question.

And you know Reggie that Norwich are not a sexy club, very little attention would have been paid to the qualities of a Norwich youth manager. But we knew different, we knew what an excellent prospect Neil was, perhaps this is one of the occasions when being under the radar has paid off for us.

It''s similar to Garry Monk taking over at Swansea, he wasn''t mentioned for any other jobs but was appointed to the top position at the club he was currently at, sometimes it just works out that way.

WHERE WE LEAD OTHERS FOLLOW.

Clarence Seedorf to be sacked and replaced by Filippo Inzaghi as manager of AC Milan

• Clarence Seedorf to be sacked after less than five months in charge
  • Will be replaced by the youth team boss Filippo Inzaghi

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2640322/Clarence-Seedorf-sacked-replaced-Filippo-Inzaghi-manager-AC-Milan.html#ixzz32uqVFIsu

Yes, that''s not really the point I was making though. My original point was that clubs will poach coaches / managers where they deem fit, irrelevant of the club they''re attached to.

Brentwood Yellow wrote the following post at 27/05/2014 11:31 AM:

That didn''t seem to stop West Brom when they poached our Youth Team coach Aidy Boothroyd in 2003.

Subject

He didnt go there as manager did he, thats what we were talking about.

Reggie, I don''t mean to be provocative here and I do rather agree with point you are making. However, how would one know whether or not Neil appeared on any L1 or L2 managerial shortlists over the past few years? Is there a place where that kind of information is universally available? Is a recruitment list of possible candidates circulated to the press and published for public awareness every time a lower league club needs a new manager? Even when a top club is seeking a new manager it only tends to be rumour and hearsay published in the press until an appointment is made.Like I say; I agree with your opinion (in that he probably didn''t) but your logic in reaching that conclusion seems a little weak.

[quote user="Chip20"]Reggie, I don''t mean to be provocative here and I do rather agree with point you are making. However, how would one know whether or not Neil appeared on any L1 or L2 managerial shortlists over the past few years? Is there a place where that kind of information is universally available? Is a recruitment list of possible candidates circulated to the press and published for public awareness every time a lower league club needs a new manager? Even when a top club is seeking a new manager it only tends to be rumour and hearsay published in the press until an appointment is made.Like I say; I agree with your opinion (in that he probably didn''t) but your logic in reaching that conclusion seems a little weak.[/quote]Well, Chip , as I intimated earlier, of course I do not know for a fact that NA was not on anyone''s wish list. But we all know how the rumour mill you refer to operates, with more than a little collusion from the media. And I repeat that , as far as I''m aware, he was never even mentioned in dispatches on any of these rumour websites etc. I''m sure that if he had been, someone on this messageboard would have picked it up. Failing that, the EDP never are slow at coming forward when there''s any media rumour about a NCFC employee.So I guess all I''m saying is that if Adams was the kind of likely candidate that our board are portraying him as, I personally would have thought that his name would have been mentioned on rumour sites at some time over the last couple of years. Particularly when his stock was high after the FAYC triumph. Not unreasonable, surely ?

Garry Monk and Filippo Inzaghi weren''t mentioned in dispatches on any rumour sites.

[quote user="TCCANARY"]

Garry Monk and Filippo Inzaghi weren''t mentioned in dispatches on any rumour sites.

[/quote]Not really true. It''s been known for some time that Monk was being groomed by Swansea for a senior management position, and the club made no secret of that fact. He just got promoted quicker than anticipated because of Laudrup''s dismissal. Has there ever been any similar message from NCFC about Neil Adams ?Cannot speak for Inzaghi, but he''s a pretty high profile player not just in Italy, but Europe generally.

[quote user="Reggie Strayshun"][quote user="TCCANARY"]

[/quote]

Not really true. It''s been known for some time that Monk was being groomed by Swansea for a senior management position, and the club made no secret of that fact. He just got promoted quicker than anticipated because of Laudrup''s dismissal. Has there ever been any similar message from NCFC about Neil Adams ?

Cannot speak for Inzaghi, but he''s a pretty high profile player not just in Italy, but Europe generally.
[/quote]

It is true as they haven''t been mentioned in dispatches on any rumour sites which is what you said.

You need to accept that these type of appointments happen elsewhere, they''re not exclusive to NCFC.

[quote user="Jenkins"]Brentwood Yellow wrote the following post at 27/05/2014 11:31 AM:

That didn''t seem to stop West Brom when they poached our Youth Team coach Aidy Boothroyd in 2003.

Subject

He didnt go there as manager did he, thats what we were talking about.[/quote]

Well, that''s not the way I read your original post, I thought you implied that nobody would poach anyone from Norwich''s youth setup because we''re not a "sexy" club.

[quote user="TCCANARY"][quote user="Reggie Strayshun"][quote user="TCCANARY"]

[/quote]Not really true. It''s been known for some time that Monk was being groomed by Swansea for a senior management position, and the club made no secret of that fact. He just got promoted quicker than anticipated because of Laudrup''s dismissal. Has there ever been any similar message from NCFC about Neil Adams ?Cannot speak for Inzaghi, but he''s a pretty high profile player not just in Italy, but Europe generally.[/quote]

It is true as they haven''t been mentioned in dispatches on any rumour sites which is what you said.

You need to accept that these type of appointments happen elsewhere, they''re not exclusive to NCFC.

[/quote]Exactly my point, TCC. Monk was already publicly pencilled in for further promotion at Swansea, so there was no real point in mentioning him in dispatches for anywhere else. I repeat was such a message ever put about by Norwich re NA ? As recently as January 2014, was it common knowledge that the board had further plans for him ? I think not.And I do not think I''ve ever said that this is something that''s exclusive to Norwich. There have been other examples before at several clubs. But that''s not really the point, is it ?

[quote user="Reggie Strayshun"][quote user="TCCANARY"][quote user="Reggie Strayshun"][quote user="TCCANARY"]

[/quote]

Not really true. It''s been known for some time that Monk was being groomed by Swansea for a senior management position, and the club made no secret of that fact. He just got promoted quicker than anticipated because of Laudrup''s dismissal. Has there ever been any similar message from NCFC about Neil Adams ?

Cannot speak for Inzaghi, but he''s a pretty high profile player not just in Italy, but Europe generally.
[/quote]

[/quote]

Exactly my point, TCC. Monk was already publicly pencilled in for further promotion at Swansea, so there was no real point in mentioning him in dispatches for anywhere else. I repeat was such a message ever put about by Norwich re NA ? As recently as January 2014, was it common knowledge that the board had further plans for him ? I think not.

And I do not think I''ve ever said that this is something that''s exclusive to Norwich. There have been other examples before at several clubs. But that''s not really the point, is it ?
[/quote]

In 2013 Delia Smith said about Adams;

"He was always one of my favourite players,” she said. “He was the best penalty taker, the best pundit when he retired and now he’s the best manager – he is wonderful.”

So maybe they were considering a Garry Monk style promotion, if Swansea are able to deter anyone mentioning their guy in dispatches then surely NCFC can do the same, they don''t have to do it publicly.

Quite possibly, TCC. It''s something we''ll never know. But I''m rather assuming that Delia, talking in 2013, was referring to NA''s prowess as youth team manager.Not something to get hung up on. It was really only a rhetorical question originally, as I still cannot see how such an outstanding candidate managed to remain under everyone''s radar for so long !