Sign in to follow this  
danielsroundabout

Fate Worse Than Death

Now that he has finally made the appointment, I understand the full meaning of McNally''s comment that relegation would be a fate worse than death.

I am more than disappointed in the club trousering the income from 22,000 Premiership priced season tickets and then appointing what must be the most inexperienced, manager to be seen at any of the top 20 or 30 clubs in England (& Wales).

In a pathetic press conference attempt to justify the decision, McNally and especially Bowkett, get a bit snappy when the wisdom of their choice is in any way questioned.

They talk of Adams''s man management skills when his experience is solely with boys and youth.

They talk about his desire, his hunger. Well in any organisation there will be people who feel they could do the top job when in reality they are totally ill-equipped for the role.

So much was said about his attributes, about him ticking all the boxes when the other short listers didn''t. And this from a guy with zero experience of so many of the key tasks he will need to carry out.

So much of the decision seems to rest with the deluded idea that being "Norwich through and through" will make up for the fact he has never previously managed. The supporters who back the decision would also have liked Mackay (ex Canary theory) and doubtless backed the original and subsequent re-appointment of Gunn. What a load of sentimental tripe. This Hall of Famer is another rose-tinted glasses thing also. Yes, of course he played a couple of hundred or so games for us but apart from justifying his place in the team, he was little more than mediocre. Nowhere near the Huckerby league for instance.

Rather than accepting the opportunity to rectify their mistake in delaying the dismissal of Hughton by making a sound appointment, they have compounded the earlier disaster. Now, those same supporters will be on their backs from the start of the season. What cheapskates they appear, for I can see no other reason for it.

yep, when they fail as you predict, McNally will be rubbing his hands with glee as he mananged to avoid a half million in bonuses

the only really fate worse than death would be if a genuine supporter was forced to plough through all this whinging sh ite that herberts like you keep sticking upnow why not give it a rest - it has been bleated out ... thread after threadif you are not happy you know where the A140 is

[quote user="City1st"]yep, when they fail as you predict, McNally will be rubbing his hands with glee as he mananged to avoid a half million in bonuses

the only really fate worse than death would be if a genuine supporter was forced to plough through all this whinging sh ite that herberts like you keep sticking upnow why not give it a rest - it has been bleated out ... thread after threadif you are not happy you know where the A140 is

[/quote]

Given that a similar line is being "bleated out thread after thread", have you not considered that there could be value in the opinions being expressed? And could some of the bleatings be coming from genuine supporters who can see the situation for what it is. Unlike the deluded individuals who accept anything and everything because only they are the real deal.

[quote user="danielsroundabout"]Now that he has finally made the appointment, I understand the full meaning of McNally''s comment that relegation would be a fate worse than death.

I am more than disappointed in the club trousering the income from 22,000 Premiership priced season tickets and then appointing what must be the most inexperienced, manager to be seen at any of the top 20 or 30 clubs in England (& Wales).

In a pathetic press conference attempt to justify the decision, McNally and especially Bowkett, get a bit snappy when the wisdom of their choice is in any way questioned.

They talk of Adams''s man management skills when his experience is solely with boys and youth.

They talk about his desire, his hunger. Well in any organisation there will be people who feel they could do the top job when in reality they are totally ill-equipped for the role.

So much was said about his attributes, about him ticking all the boxes when the other short listers didn''t. And this from a guy with zero experience of so many of the key tasks he will need to carry out.

So much of the decision seems to rest with the deluded idea that being "Norwich through and through" will make up for the fact he has never previously managed. The supporters who back the decision would also have liked Mackay (ex Canary theory) and doubtless backed the original and subsequent re-appointment of Gunn. What a load of sentimental tripe. This Hall of Famer is another rose-tinted glasses thing also. Yes, of course he played a couple of hundred or so games for us but apart from justifying his place in the team, he was little more than mediocre. Nowhere near the Huckerby league for instance.

Rather than accepting the opportunity to rectify their mistake in delaying the dismissal of Hughton by making a sound appointment, they have compounded the earlier disaster. Now, those same supporters will be on their backs from the start of the season. What cheapskates they appear, for I can see no other reason for it.[/quote]Good piece with some well presented thoughts, unfortunately as Bor says this is no longer a discussion site and the usual suspects will be along to re educate you presently.

City first you are clearly insensitive to the fact that a VERY large percentage of the norwich fan base are deeply disappointed by the latest decision by our clubs board. You have no right to tell people to pxxs off when they wish to Express and vent their disappointment using forums like this. Everyone has different ways of releasing the anger and many of us on here are using this forum to try to come to terms with the situation if you can''t handle it I suggest you take a break from this site for a few weeks.

[quote user="Helsinki canary"]City first you are clearly insensitive to the fact that a VERY large percentage of the norwich fan base are deeply disappointed by the latest decision by our clubs board. You have no right to tell people to pxxs off when they wish to Express and vent their disappointment using forums like this. Everyone has different ways of releasing the anger and many of us on here are using this forum to try to come to terms with the situation if you can''t handle it I suggest you take a break from this site for a few weeks.[/quote]

well said

[quote user="Helsinki canary"]City first you are clearly insensitive to the fact that a VERY large percentage of the norwich fan base are deeply disappointed by the latest decision by our clubs board. You have no right to tell people to pxxs off when they wish to Express and vent their disappointment using forums like this. Everyone has different ways of releasing the anger and many of us on here are using this forum to try to come to terms with the situation if you can''t handle it I suggest you take a break from this site for a few weeks.[/quote]

Good post Helsinki canary and a sensible suggestion to City first.

The point that seems to pass so many by though is that as no one ever came up with a clear favourite then whoever was appointed would have been ranted about. Its not a discussion board. Its a moan fest for simpletons not bright enough to have any perspective on the world around them.

Daniel''s OP illustrates perfectly the views of a huge swathe of long-time NCFC supporters . In short I could not have put it better myself. The club is playing with fire with this cheapskate, short-sighted appointment.On the other hand, City 1st''s rather predictable rant is a perfect illustration of the ''easily satisfied'' tendency that has begun to run right through our club, from board through management, the media, fans, right down to the hardcore of posters of that persuasion on this messageboard.

Can we all try and get behind the new manager and team? Nothing will change the boards thinking. Everyone''s opinions count, but lets move forward and support!

Listen, I was underwhelmed when Adams was appointed, but having had time to think and digest the news, I''m actually excited about the new season. Very telling what Bowkett said about tactics and I see Adams bring able to change tactics when needed. He knows what is need in terms of playing style, players to keep and get rid off.

He''ll have my support until there comes a time when I think the team is not winning and playing well. At that stage I won''t need "we told you so" type comments. Some people I swear seem to simply take pleasure in seeing NCFC suffer, so they can bleat about how right they were!

Come on, lets all stick together and give the guy a chance?

[quote user="Reggie Strayshun"]Daniel''s OP illustrates perfectly the views of a huge swathe of long-time NCFC supporters . In short I could not have put it better myself. The club is playing with fire with this cheapskate, short-sighted appointment. On the other hand, City 1st''s rather predictable rant is a perfect illustration of the ''easily satisfied'' tendency that has begun to run right through our club, from board through management, the media, fans, right down to the hardcore of posters of that persuasion on this messageboard.[/quote]

"cheap-skate"    If Adams does well it will be seen as a good decision and far from cheap-skate.

"short-sighted" No-one knows the process of interviews and how it went, but it may have been the best decision in the interests of the club, so to call it short sighted is just speculation.

"easily satisfied". No one is easily satisfied as far as I am aware. If there are people who are satisfied it is because they see something in Adams and that he deserves respect for his work at NCFC.  The judgement has been that he is deemed worthy of the chance to be manager because of his attributes and aptitude for the job.  Oh I forgot, the board are useless, so useless we have been in the top league in Britain four years out of the last ten on limited resources, turned the club from a debt ridden basket case into one of the most healthy financially run clubs in the country and seen some of the most exciting times under Lambert we have ever seen - yeah, cheap-skate, short-sighted indeed...........

This whole cheap skate argument is a red herring, we are not cash strapped and the most important thing was to get a manager that met the boards criteria and bought in to the vision for the development of the management of the club.

I don''t think the ability to pay Adams less salary than a Mackay or Lennon was an issue. Admittedly if he fails, paying off his contract won''t be the consideration it was with Hughton but as badly as they have handled the last few weeks I don''t believe the board are stupid enough to get in someone just because they''re cheap. If that was the case I''d offer my services for half of what Adams is on!

[quote user="lake district canary"]"short-sighted" No-one knows the process of interviews and how it went, but it may have been the best decision in the interests of the club, so to call it short sighted is just speculation.

[/quote]Well of course it''s speculation. That''s just stating the bleedin'' obvious. I do not know how this is going to work out any more than you do LDC. But, though I know you do not like anyone having an opinion that''s at variance from yours,  this is currently all about opinions; Simple as. My view (and clearly that of many others ) is that Adams''s appointment is short sighted and cheapskate. This is not a red herring. It''s a perfectly sound view to take.To suggest that back in January that there was no-one capable of taking over from Hughton, and then, in May, appointing someone who was not only available, but actually at the club well before January hardly helps the board''s case, does it ?I know you have an unerring tendency to look for the good in everything, but you''ll forgive me if there are a large number who look a little deeper and smell a rat.

Just because Adams was there in January does not mean he was capable of taking over from Hughton.A lot has changed, January and now are completely different times.

[quote user="A Load of Squit"]Just because Adams was there in January does not mean he was capable of taking over from Hughton.A lot has changed, January and now are completely different times.

[/quote]How ?  Apart of course from the club being a division lower .....

[quote user="Reggie Strayshun"][quote user="A Load of Squit"]Just because Adams was there in January does not mean he was capable of taking over from Hughton.A lot has changed, January and now are completely different times.

[/quote]How ?  Apart of course from the club being a division lower .....[/quote]You''ve done the easy bit, now have a think and maybe you''ll get the rest.

[quote user="A Load of Squit"][quote user="Reggie Strayshun"][quote user="A Load of Squit"]Just because Adams was there in January does not mean he was capable of taking over from Hughton.A lot has changed, January and now are completely different times.

[/quote]How ?  Apart of course from the club being a division lower .....[/quote]You''ve done the easy bit, now have a think and maybe you''ll get the rest.

[/quote]You''ve lost me already, LOS. January is in the middle of winter. May is late spring . Am I getting close ? Go on ,please tell.....

I agree with Jenkins, regardless of your feelings towards the appointmnet of NA, it is simply not about money. I believe that, and as I mentioned on another post, by the time the club brings in the rest of the coaching team they could well be spending more than they did previosuly for CH and his team. 

I''m not in the habit of playing stupid bl**dy games LOS. With you or anyone else. So you can cut out the patronising ''glad I don''t live in your world'' stuff.

"by the time the club brings in the rest of the coaching team they could well be spending more than they did previosuly for CH and his team."

Yep

I can''t get over how so many people think the decision made by the board was so easy.

Does anybody really think they did it flippantly with just the cost involved?

Surely no-one needs convincing that they have more than just an intrinsic interest in the club?

Their knowledge of who was available and acceptable is far greater than ours. The only part I question is the change of attitude from "keep us up at all costs" to "return to the Norwich way", If that is an apology for their mistakes in the last two seasons then, for one, I accept it.

Are people disappointed with the appointment just because it wasn''t a big name and the derision of other clubs supporters is so devastating?

I am not interested in any other club and so focussed on NCFC that other sticks and stones are oblivious to me.

And I can''t believe that people can get so rude and nasty to each other about this before the man has had a chance to succeed or fail.

[quote user="River End Canary"]How on earth does someone from Finland end up supporting Norwich. I am flabbergasted[/quote]

Occasionally, on this forum, views are expressed that appear to be pinned to the belief that the world ends at the Norfolk border. In your case, River End, you appear to be fresh out of a dumpling.