Sign in to follow this  
Crazy Eddie

All efforts into keeping Olsson and Pilks

With this speculation about Snoddy and Ruddy going I thought I''d share my thoughts, those thoughts being let them go for decent money.

Neither are irreplaceable and Snoddy imbalances our play. I would be more than happy with Pilks on the left, backed up by Olsson and a Murphy. Redmond on the right backed up by Bennett and a Murphy is fine too. This is more akin to the way an Adams side will play, I think pace hurts in the championship.

Do business in Snoddy and re-invest in a set piece taker, maybe a defensive midfielder with those attributes. If decent money is offered for Ruddy put that into the striker pot, I''m sure Rudd and Bunn are good enough for the championship.

Crazy Eddie nice post but u missing one important factor

Those that only have 1 year left on there contract can leave for free next summer unless they agree to sign a new deal

Out of those u mention Pilkington & Snoddy fall into that category, the rest all have more than 12 mths left

The question is if they wont sign a contract extension do we cash in now as we will get nowt next summer when they walk out - not who will they play in the team with !

There aren''t many left backs around, so keeping olsson is important imo. With pilks, he has the quality, but is injured a lot and lacks consistency.

But..but...if all efforts are put into keeping Olsson and Pilks, we''re not going to have any spare effort to put into ''doing business in Snoddy'' and ''re-investing in a set piece taker or maybe a defensive midfielder with those attributes''. Nor will there be any spare capacity to expend on getting decent money for Ruddy and identifying/investing in that striker you mention. Are we not allowed to invest any efforts elsewhere on the pitch either?Yours,Pedantic of Sutton Coldfield.;-)

[quote user="Newton"]

Crazy Eddie nice post but u missing one important factor

Those that only have 1 year left on there contract can leave for free next summer unless they agree to sign a new deal

Out of those u mention Pilkington & Snoddy fall into that category, the rest all have more than 12 mths left

The question is if they wont sign a contract extension do we cash in now as we will get nowt next summer when they walk out - not who will they play in the team with !

[/quote]

In answer, Snoddy I would cash in on. As I said I think this has positives as well as negatives.

Re Pilks, given his dodgy injury history and the time left on his contract how much could we reasonably even expect to get for him? Not much. Not enough to buy a better player. I would hold on to him in the hope he stays injury free until January and helps us to a title hunting position, at which point he might A) fancy signing a contract extension or B) be worth a bit more (certainly no less)

I think the back 4 with the retention on Olsson and working on the presumption we have exercised an option on Turner, is potentially sorted. I think we could use a Tettey/Johnson upgrade and a big striker, ideally to work alongside a retained Hooper.

I actually think Olsson would be better at a club that was high up the league and playing on the front foot. If Man U or someone needed to inject a bit of pace on their flanks, Olsson would be a great buy.

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]I actually think Olsson would be better at a club that was high up the league and playing on the front foot. If Man U or someone needed to inject a bit of pace on their flanks, Olsson would be a great buy.[/quote]You really don''t sound like a City supporter...........

It is vital that we keep Olsson. He stayed with his former club after relegation, so her''s hoping!

I would also like to keep Pilks, if he has fully recovered. He has been a match winner on occasions, scored some vital goals and provided some excellent crosses.

At the moment Pilks seems in an uncertain frame of mind, but if Snoddy goes, as seems possible, then Redders and Bennett will fight for the right wing place, while Pilks and Josh for the left. I think that a fit Pilks has an edge on the young Josh, so perhaps Adams can offer a regular place to Pilks as an inducement. If Pilks stays for the one year only, that would be good, as Josh should have matured with a further year.

If Pilks has really fully recovered, and stays, then I would not be too upset if Snoddy went, so long as we get a reasonable fee.

[quote user="Canary On The Wire"]Hahahaha. First Chalobah and Gnabry at Norwich, now Martin Olsson at left-back for Man United....

Do you live in the real world mate?[/quote]

He''s better than Buttner...

I don''t think those two on loan are a ridiculous shout either if prem teams don''t fancy them or can''t give them regular games. Chalobah was in the Championship last season and might need a move to a club with ambitions further up that league as a next step.

Is he? I highly doubt it. How do you justify that?

Gnabry would destroy the Championship. He''ll be used regularly by Arsenal next season or if they sign well on loan at a Prem team max. Chalobah is a more viable shout on loan (I didn''t realise you meant on loan initially)

But with Shaw about to sign for United, and the fact I see no evidence for Olsson being better than Buttner, I think you really have overstated his ability.

Olsson probably is better than Buttner, and I reckon could do a job as a backup left back at United, but with Evra staying now they really need a top left back to be a regular starter, and Olsson isn''t it. Fortunately for us.I am a huge fan of Olsson and between him and a decent left winger (whoever Adams'' first choice is), our left-hand side going forward will be almost unplayable at times if they click.