Sign in to follow this  
Garfield

Strong Championship Team

It''s time to forget about the drabs of last season and look at our chances for next. If we take a step back and look at our squad I think we can safely say it''s one of the strongest in the league with proven players at this level. Yes we''re going to probably lose a few but I can see our starting 11 looking something like this next season;

Ruddy

Martin, Bennet, Turner, Garrido

Murphy, Johno, Howson, Redmond

Becchio, Hooper (Loza/RVW)

This is obviously excluding any new additions. I really think we can do well with this squad and really hope Neil can get the best out of them while playing attractive football.

Excited for next season OTBC!!!

I agree we have a strong team from the existing players.

I would prefer elliott b on the right flank as murphy is not ready for a full season yet (great to see him break through but needs more pitch time, ease him in slowly.

The centre midfield will remain a worry for me, BJ/Howson always struggled in the prem, with howson almost bullied into poorer performances beside BJ, but it will hopefully be much better at the right level, in the champs.

Add in some signings and maybe keeping one or two of the quality players and it should be good.

I agree with e.bennett, he was probably missed more than we realise last season! Neil has great knowledge of our youngsters and I''m sure he''ll bleed them into the 1st team ASAP. I saw a few of the youth fa cup games when we won it and the murphys looked very dangerous on the break. Hopefully Neil can get the best out of them so they can reach their true potential and fire us back to the prem!

Can''t see that midfield getting us anywhere.

Not enough end product and know-how from Redmond and Murphy (particularly Murphy, at this stage) and too many misplaced passes from Johnson.

We''ll need to be stronger than that.

If they are going to continue with that speculative end product, we''ll need to have a magnet up front Andy Carroll style that will make the ball stick up there, it''s the only way people like Hooper and RvW will ever be effective for us.

The squad is potentially good depending on who stays but has Adamd got the knowledge to make the best of them. The jury is out for me.

Best get shot of him now and don''t take the chance

It would be much better if we could hang on to Olsson. I think that we was the star last year. He is a lot more mobile that Garrido, and I fear attacks down our left if Olsson isn''t there.

[quote user="GJP"]

Not enough end product and know-how from Redmond and Murphy

(particularly Murphy, at this stage) and too many misplaced passes from

Johnson.

[/quote]While I think it''s right not to expect too much of the youngsters, I think you''re underestimating Murphy a tad there. Wolves are higher end Championship competition and it didn''t take him long to turn things in our favour in the FA Cup. Also, it''s worth remembering that the reason we have Redmond is that he was performing very well at Championship level, didn''t do badly at Premier League level and is still improving.[quote user="Salopian"]It would be much better if we could hang on to

Olsson. I think that we was the star last year. He is a lot more mobile

that Garrido, and I fear attacks down our left if Olsson isn''t

there.[/quote]Totally agree. I''d really love for us to get a quick right back next year and go for a diamond. Something like...(Quick right back)      Martin             Turner/Bennett            Olsson                                           Fer/Howson/Johnson                    Snodgrass/EBennett                   Murphy/Redmond                                              Howson/Fer                      Hooper/RvW                      (Big Striker, maybe Becchio if he stays although doubt he will)

[quote user="littleyellowbirdie"]

[quote user="GJP"]

Not enough end product and know-how from Redmond and Murphy (particularly Murphy, at this stage) and too many misplaced passes from Johnson.

[/quote]
While I think it''s right not to expect too much of the youngsters, I think you''re underestimating Murphy a tad there. Wolves are higher end Championship competition and it didn''t take him long to turn things in our favour in the FA Cup. Also, it''s worth remembering that the reason we have Redmond is that he was performing very well at Championship level, didn''t do badly at Premier League level and is still improving.

[/quote]

I''m not sure I am underestimating him, perhaps you''re underestimating the difficulty of the Championship. Also, when you say Wolves do you mean Watford? And when you say FA Cup do you mean League Cup?

Josh did well when he came on against a tiring Watford in the LC but when he featured in the league or against Fulham in the FA Cup he struggled to make an impact and often looked like he was a bit unsure about what to do when he got on the ball.

I know we aren''t going to play against quite the same quality in the Championship but I''m not sure it''s enough of a drop for Josh to really make an impact - if you''re looking at him to be starting games regularly.

Redmond is more proven at Championship level, I mean he was inconsistent there with Birmingham but he''s more of a threat. I''m not sure there''s room for both of them in the starting 11 if we really want to have a go at promotion at the first attempt and at the moment Redmond does carry the much greater threat.

[quote user="GJP"][quote user="littleyellowbirdie"][quote user="GJP"]

[/quote]While I think it''s right not to expect too much of the youngsters, I think you''re underestimating Murphy a tad there. Wolves are higher end Championship competition and it didn''t take him long to turn things in our favour in the FA Cup. Also, it''s worth remembering that the reason we have Redmond is that he was performing very well at Championship level, didn''t do badly at Premier League level and is still improving.

[/quote]

I''m not sure I am underestimating him, perhaps you''re underestimating the difficulty of the Championship. Also, when you say Wolves do you mean Watford? And when you say FA Cup do you mean League Cup?

Josh did well when he came on against a tiring Watford in the LC but when he featured in the league or against Fulham in the FA Cup he struggled to make an impact and often looked like he was a bit unsure about what to do when he got on the ball.

I know we aren''t going to play against quite the same quality in the Championship but I''m not sure it''s enough of a drop for Josh to really make an impact - if you''re looking at him to be starting games regularly.

Redmond is more proven at Championship level, I mean he was inconsistent there with Birmingham but he''s more of a threat. I''m not sure there''s room for both of them in the starting 11 if we really want to have a go at promotion at the first attempt and at the moment Redmond does carry the much greater threat.

[/quote]Yes, Watford in the league cup was what I meant, my bad. [:$] I wasn''t proposing they''d be regular core starters, but they''re developed enough that they can and will have a positive impact. Both of them have shown that to varying extents.