Sign in to follow this  
splutcho

Keep One Player

Hypothetically, if you could pick one player that you could guarantee will not be leaving, who would it be and why?

[quote user="splutcho"]Hypothetically, if you could pick one player that you could guarantee will not be leaving, who would it be and why?[/quote]

Fer -his quality would take us along long way in the champ ( so long as his head was straight)

Snodgrass and Fer both good shouts. I think I''d go for Tettey, I think he''s vastly underrated by our fans as well as the opposition and I really can''t see us conceding many goals in the Championship with him in the team. Does an excellent job of winning the ball back and moving it on to a team mate quickly. Only downside being he''s a touch injury prone.

Howson. Best footballer at the club. Still somewhat underrated.

Ruddy - respect him as a person, not just his ability.

[quote user="splutcho"]I totally forgot about Howson. You''re right though, wouldn''t want him going anywhere.[/quote]

To me he is the player I''d most like to have in the team if I was playing. He works hard but it''s his use of the ball which I like best - he always tries to keep it sensible/smart. He doesn''t try to over complicate it, he doesn''t want too many touches, he''ll always look to play in a teammate.

But I wouldn''t argue with any shouts for Ruddy either.

Interesting that this thread has been running almost 12 hours now and no one favourite has emerged...seven different players regularly mentioned.On the basis of pragmatism; ie who will be most difficult to replace, I''m going to throw in an eighth..Olsson. I really think that he could end up being one of the Champ''s best defenders next season. He will find that part of the game easier than in the Prem, and genuine quality attacking full backs are hard to find at that level.

Olsson, closely followed by Howson. (I am assuming that Fer continues to not want to play, or at least for Norwich.)

[quote user="Reggie Strayshun"]Interesting that this thread has been running almost 12 hours now and no one favourite has emerged...seven different players regularly mentioned.On the basis of pragmatism; ie who will be most difficult to replace, I''m going to throw in an eighth..Olsson. I really think that he could end up being one of the Champ''s best defenders next season. He will find that part of the game easier than in the Prem, and genuine quality attacking full backs are hard to find at that level.[/quote] I think the wide variety of choices suggests that maybe we have the core of a good squad. Funny, I''m sure I''ve heard someone actually say that recently...

No stand out players for me from last season. Cannot say that I looked forward to player A or player B being on the pitch as nobody consistently performed, nobody got me out of my seat whenever the ball came to them. Probably the first season that I did not have a favourite player, one that I always looked forward to seeing player over the others.Redmond, Murphy, Fer and Olsson I feel have the potential to become really good players and increase their value, I would not object to any of the others being replaced.

[quote user="littleyellowbirdie"][quote user="Reggie Strayshun"]Interesting that this thread has been running almost 12 hours now and no one favourite has emerged...seven different players regularly mentioned.On the basis of pragmatism; ie who will be most difficult to replace, I''m going to throw in an eighth..Olsson. I really think that he could end up being one of the Champ''s best defenders next season. He will find that part of the game easier than in the Prem, and genuine quality attacking full backs are hard to find at that level.[/quote] I think the wide variety of choices suggests that maybe we have the core of a good squad. Funny, I''m sure I''ve heard someone actually say that recently...[/quote]As a sceptic I would have to argue the opposite judging by our regular thrashings, inability to win games by more than the odd goal and complete lack of consistency. I don''t think there is one player who was "good" last year let alone "the core of a good squad".I would probably most like to keep Ruddy. I think he is the one player who we would not be able to replace with another player of a similar standard from available players within our price range and pulling power of the club.I''m also personally always confused by the high level of praise for Johnny Howson though. He never puts a challenge in preferring to shadow mark opponents, rarely shoots and rarely plays vital passes that set-up opportunities for others.He is energetic when the mood takes him and I see him have the occasional good half of football (1st half against Stoke away springs to mind) but he seems to lack any real consistency to me. Others have claimed his consistency is his strong point though, go figure.

I was considering the creative/goal scoring side as its hardest to replace.

The last couple of promotions we had a solid defence, not a great one; at full back we got promoted with eddie and tierney for example, so losing olsson would be a blow but not critical to us getting promoted as I think we can get a good enough replacement without breaking the bank.

Ditto cm, johnson, tettey, howson are great at this level, but the players who add a bit extra, wes, pilks, fer, redmond, would cost a lot to replace. went for redmond as he has the most potential.

up front i dont want to lose any of the three strikers, they all have bags of talent under used last yearbut with such a poor season behind them its hard to make a case for any of them being a must keep, no appearances from becchio, rvw lack of goals and hoopers lack of effort all counting against them respecively

Russell Martin. Understands what the club needs to be to succeed. Knows what it takes to win promotion out of the championship. Works flipping hard.