Sign in to follow this  
Patches OHoolahan

Wes's replacement already here?

Assuming Wessi leaves could Elliott Bennett be our new number 10? Played there for Brighton, and showed creativity and long-range shooting ability when given that role. We only saw him play there once for Norwich to my recollection- in the second half against Swansea away, when Lambert was in charge in the first Prem season- and he tore their defence apart.

[quote user="Patches O''Hoolahan"]Assuming Wessi leaves could Elliott Bennett be our new number 10? Played there for Brighton, and showed creativity and long-range shooting ability when given that role. We only saw him play there once for Norwich to my recollection- in the second half against Swansea away, when Lambert was in charge in the first Prem season- and he tore their defence apart.

No, I don''t think he has the brain for it.

Snodgrass would be best suited but I fear he is too greedy!

Replacement for Wes? That means, I guess, a player who will, like Wes, mainly sit on the bench, make the occasional start and not even make the squad at times.........Wes would only need replacing directly if he had been a regular in the side, and he hasnt been for some time.  

I think that the two are vastly different players. Wes has guile and an eye for a short pass, while Benno has pace and a blistering shot.

I think that Wes was a fading force in the Premiership, but he may become more potent in the Championship. I think that I would still prefer Benno, if he is completely fit, but the two offer different things.If we could fit both Benno and Redders in our attack we could terrorise some defences!

Iharman7,

You say EB doesn''t have the brain for it, then say Snoddy would be best suited but you fear he is too greedy, well I guess he doesn''t have the brain for it either then?

So can you let us know what criteria you think the brain of a good no. 10 should have? Can you set out the criteria of the role so we can judge alternatives against them - thanks.

I can see the points being made re Benno''s style of play and his possible conversion to right back, but I think that undersells some of the qualities he has but has not been able to demonstrate. Yes two of his main attributes are his pace, and shot, but he does also have an eye for a pass. Maybe not to the same degree as Wes, but I still think he would be a useful fulcrum for our attacks. Snoddy might work, but I am fairly sure that he will be departing this summer.

Do we need to replace Wes, should he leave?

We have spent the last two seasons copying other teams formations rather than imposing ourselves on the opposition.

Maybe there was a tiny argument for that because we we in the Prem.

But in the Championship and no doubt the favourites in many other clubs eyes, to go straight back, then I believe we ought to assert ourselves from the start,

Defences in the Prem are reasonably slow but in the Championship are pedestrian so I believe we ought to mix pace with guile.

Bennett does seem to fit that profile and I would suggest that Redmond, playing up the middle, would scare the pants off most Championship defences.

The message coming from the management seems to be pace, aggression and youth, so I am hoping the old dire tactics of inverted wingers, rigid formations will be replaced by a more "total football" approach.

is there a position that elliott bennett is NOT the answer to?

does that tells us we dont really know how to use him best...

I still find it odd that when signed it was said that Redmond could play in behind a striker then at no point including friendlies did Hughton ever play him there.

For Ray.

Number 10''s need to be intelligent enough to not only be able to pick a pass but also be able to read the play 2 or 3 steps ahead. They need to be able to link up play with the striker or strikers in a way which not only incorporates slipping passes to them but also knowing there off the ball runs which potentially opens up space for themselves or other players. A keen eye for goal is also a must for a number 10!

Only in my opinion, Bennett would not be able to do all this.

Just because a player is greedy doesn''t mean he is unintelligent!

Snodgrass is capable and intelligent enough but again I think his greedyness would get the better of him. Plus his pace may hinder him as a number 10!

Personally I would agree Snodgrass looks more suited the role. I think more important than an ability to shoot from distance is the ability to anticipate attacks and get in the box to score goals from close range. If you watch some of Snodgrass''s intelligent runs for into the box for his 6 goals last year and compare them to RVW''s 1 goal where he was out of position and the ball was mishit to him, it show''s Snoddys got that ability and at Championship level would probably get you 7-10 goals from there.I can''t really see Elliott Bennett or Redmond as anything other than wingers. They''re very quick and can cross and take long range shots having cut in from the wing all features suited to the position they''ve already made their own. I would be starting with these two on the wings and Snodgrass in the second striker role as he looks more of an attacking midfielder being asked to play out of position as a winger to me.

[quote user="Holtcantshoot"]Personally I would agree Snodgrass looks more suited the role. I think more important than an ability to shoot from distance is the ability to anticipate attacks and get in the box to score goals from close range. If you watch some of Snodgrass''s intelligent runs for into the box for his 6 goals last year and compare them to RVW''s 1 goal where he was out of position and the ball was mishit to him, it show''s Snoddys got that ability and at Championship level would probably get you 7-10 goals from there.I can''t really see Elliott Bennett or Redmond as anything other than wingers. They''re very quick and can cross and take long range shots having cut in from the wing all features suited to the position they''ve already made their own. I would be starting with these two on the wings and Snodgrass in the second striker role as he looks more of an attacking midfielder being asked to play out of position as a winger to me. [/quote]The odd thing is he used to be the playmaker in the deep-lying forward position at Leeds and his success in that position was what got everybody''s attention, including Barcelona''s, in the first place.

Ihaeman7,

Thank you, that has given me something to think about.

I (nor you) up until now has mentioned intelligence, my point was if you think he is too greedy to satisfy the criteria you have set out, then he doesn''t have the brain of a No. 10 perhaps more of a winger?

If you are refering to simple IQ, then I can assure you EB qualifies with flying colours. However there are all sorts of intelligence, emotional, spacial, etc. etc.

I too feel that Snoddy may be too greedy which sort of negates him as far as; picking a pass goes, because he doesn''t when he should, read the play 2 or 3 steps ahead, because again he doesn''t if he hangs on to the ball (greedy), although eye for a goal, prpobably yes.

I''m not advocating EB for the role, although that said I reserve judgement as we haven''t really seen him in that role.

I don''t have the answer, although Loza my be an interesting option? Knows where the goal is, has determination (see his Southend goal), has a decent level of ball control, can pick a pass and is pacey.

I''d prefer someone more solid in that role with a great range of passing, i know Howson is not traditionally suited to the role - but i think his attributes would match up ideally to what i would like to see there.

EB''s got to be wide with his pace, it would be nullified in the centre, unless you''ve got exceptional ball control - you need a quick brain, great vision and quick feet being in the middle of it all - and by that i don''t mean pace.