Sign in to follow this  
Muffles

The positives....

Sorry to stand out in such a field of doom and gloom, but despite our relegation, I feel that, surprise surprise, all is not lost yet.

Players: Dropping out of the Premier League, I very much doubt automatically warrants a mass exodus. Players might well talk about an uncertain future, but who from the squad realistically caught the eye last season? If the amount of players we''re rumoured to lose are about to leave as they''re ''too good'' for the Championship, then by rights, we should have stayed up. Youth players are now surely going to be thrown in, let''s see if they can rise to the challenge.

Money: We will most likely have more money to spend this year than last. Bottom placed Cardiff earned more money this year than Man U did the previous year through TV rights, prize money etc, so we have no need to sell or panic or scrape the barrel for worthless journeymen who had one decent game three years ago in a cup match away at Crewe.

Manager: OK, Neil Adams wasn''t our first choice, not mine anyway and I hope it''s not Gunn all over again, but at least he has experience in leading a group of players. As pointed out many times, he follows the likes of Brown, Stringer and Walker in being promoted from within and all, so far, had a decent run in charge.

Board: Since being in charge (over 4 years now), this is the first ''bad'' season we''ve had. Let''s see if they can turn it round.

I''m actually positive and optimistic about a swift return, while I don''t expect it necessarily, I think we can do it - plus, we have more games to watch this year and hopefully, see more goals and wins.

I agree with that but i think we need to get rid of a few high earners like Bass, Fer & RVW and sign players who are prove in this country like Troy Denney or Danny Graham. I dont think we can afford to stand still. The board need to push the boat out, spend some money and get back up straight away.

" We will have more money to spend this year than last " Well if you think we will be spending anywhere near what we did last summer you are going to waiting a very long while for it to happen . We wouldnt even spend in January when it might have actually kept us up .Get ready for cheap signings and crap loanees from the Prem , i doubt we will buy anybody over a million .

I hate to point out that the board have been in charge for 18 years and in general not too bad, but had more than one bad season!

There are positives and for one I''m not too bothered not being in the premiership, it was a dull boring season in truth, but I was hoping for something more solid from the board than Adams.

That said he is mr NCFC and I hope he turns out to be an inspired choice, my only concern is that he wasn''t chosen on merit but as a last option!

Hope he can be strong and get a good budget to work with.

Muffles - poor man''s LDC

Only joking - I like your style & agree with most of your points, but will reserve judgement till the end of the transfer window

I admire your outlook Muffles and alike your er ''handle''

I would point out that this appointment smacks of the owners preference and not McNally/Bowkett.

Look back at some quotes by both in recent weeks!

Anyhow, Adams has talent and the makings of a good manager, its just how successful we are at attracting decent players that will be interesting.

What quotes are you referring to Bury? I remember on the Radio Norfolk interview it was McNally saying what a good candidate Adams was and Delia playing it down with the "no experience" comments. There hasn''t been that many other quotes apart from the usual best candidate stuff after he got the gig.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

What quotes are you referring to Bury? I remember on the Radio Norfolk interview it was McNally saying what a good candidate Adams was and Delia playing it down with the "no experience" comments. There hasn''t been that many other quotes apart from the usual best candidate stuff after he got the gig.

[/quote]Added to which, nutty, is the fact that McNally earlier in the season was uncomplimentary about Mackay as a a manager and yet he ended up as first choice ahead of Adams. A likely explanation for that outcome - ie one that fits the facts rather than any myth - is that Smith and Jones overruled McNally''s objections, or argued him out of them, and plumped for the expensive and hard-nosed external candidate instead of the cheap internal "little Norwich" option.Another fact is that even with ending up with second-choice Adams, Smith and Jones have still appointed more external candidates as permanent managers (as opposed to caretakers) than internal. Five externals (Rioch, Grant, Roeder, Lambert and Hughton) and four internals (Hamilton, Worthington, Gunn and Adams).

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]Added to which, nutty, is the fact that McNally earlier in the season was uncomplimentary about Mackay as a a manager and yet he ended up as first choice ahead of Adams. A likely explanation for that outcome - ie one that fits the facts rather than any myth - is that Smith and Jones overruled McNally''s objections, or argued him out of them, and plumped for the expensive and hard-nosed external candidate instead of the cheap internal "little Norwich" option.Another fact is that even with ending up with second-choice Adams, Smith and Jones have still appointed more external candidates as permanent managers (as opposed to caretakers) than internal. Five externals (Rioch, Grant, Roeder, Lambert and Hughton) and four internals (Hamilton, Worthington, Gunn and Adams).[/quote]Chris Hughton was an experienced external candidate. Defensive just like Malky as well. Would you like him back?

The appointment of managers just as the acquisition of players always involves risk. Who''d have thought that Moyes at United and RVW here would have had such traumatic seasons? Gary Neville has proven himself to be arguably the best pundit in a while even predicted that RVW would be one of the buys of the last summer transfer window.

Like many I was aghast at the appointment of Adams on the basis of his inexperience. However, he is the manager and I hope he goes on to show that the board''s decision was a masterstroke and that he leads us back to the moneyship asap. A double over the scum wouldn''t go amiss either.