Sign in to follow this  
Indy

If we lose Ruddy is Rudd ready?

Simple really, Ruddy has been superb for us and I believe if a big club comes in with the right offer we owe it to him to progress his career.

But if he does go, is Rudd''s season at Preston given him enough experience to take on the No.1 shirt? I''m not keen on Bunn, don''t think he''s no where ner good enough.

I saw Rudd play a few times last season, was decent but wouldnt say hes ready yet, would be an excellent back up keeper, so if Ruddy goes i think Bunn & Rudd as no2 would be more than capable. Bunn did a decent job in the prem when Ruddy was injured enough to make me see hes more than good enough to be a number 1 in the championship.

Rudd is 6ft 3!

On the basis of two play off games I saw him in, no. I would be very nervous with him starting.

I saw Declan a couple of times, imo he is better than Bunn and there''s no reason he couldn''t be our no1, is definitely ready (though is Bunn still in contract?). Preston thought highly of him and wanted to sign him even if promoted, a sign of how well he is rated.

I always thought it likely that Ruddy would be sold this summer whatever division we were in (most likely to Chelsea who are in the same position as last year but with Cech a year older), if Bunn is still under contract for me it is a bit of a no brainer and the transfer fee can be used to fill other gaps (and maybe come with a decent loan or two).

Bunn is OK, but I don''t think he''s good enough, I''m not sure about Rudd so if we do sell Ruddy will we go back into the market for a replacement or go with Bunn & Rudd to fight it out?

My money from what little I have seen of Rudd is that the more games he plays the better he will become where as Bunn is what he is an honest pro.

Bunn did a lot of bench-warming last season, whereas Rudd was at least playing all first team football with a top Lge One side.  PNE fans I know were all impressed by him. I''d be tempted to go with Declan if JR goes.

[quote user="Indy"]

Simple really, Ruddy has been superb for us and I believe if a big club comes in with the right offer we owe it to him to progress his career.

But if he does go, is Rudd''s season at Preston given him enough experience to take on the No.1 shirt? I''m not keen on Bunn, don''t think he''s no where ner good enough.

[/quote]1. Norwich don''t owe it to Ruddy to let him leave. The club will make decisions in the best interests of the club. Besides that, warming the bench at a Premier League club won''t be much fun for him. Whereas if he stays at Norwich he might soon be back in the Premier League with Norwich.2. IMHO Rudd isn''t yet good enough to be a regular first-team starter for a club seriously looking for automatic promotion from the Championship. IMHO Bunn isn''t good enough either.

It seems to be a choice between Rudd and Bunn, or someone to buy, remembering that keepers cost less than outfield players.

I think that Bunn can be a great shot stopper, but if the defence in future is better organised, and maintains its concentration, I hope that there will be fewer shots to stop.

Rudd seems to be more of an all-round keeper. He is better able to gather crosses than Bunn. The latter lacks height and physical stature, which will always count against him. Rudd had a good season past, and kept something like 15 clean sheets, but this may mean that the defence in front of him was good.

I would have thought that with money needed to improve the outfield players, we would be well served by keeping both while in contract, and using both in a friendly competition. We can also hope that our pipeline through the Academy continues to provide good keepers.

To answer the question, I think that Rudd is ready and for me slightly edges it over Bunn.

I still don''t believe we will lose Ruddy. I''m still not convinced mainly because.

A) His family are settled in the area

B) Moving is not going to help his England chances

C) He''s on a big contract meaning he WILL command a big fee

C means that only top half clubs realistically can afford him and, top clubs will possibly utilise him as a back-up keeper... which relates to B.

I''d be happy to see Rudd starting, not let us down when he played for us (saved a penalty in the Premier League I believe) and we need to take the plunge at some point.

I agree with the points in the last post above. It''s also the case that he has 3 years left on his contract so simply put the Club should make it clear he ain''t for sale. If he is allowed to go , any credibility that the Board still has will be completely destroyed. Either we are serious about getting back into the PL at the first attempt or we are not and letting Ruddy go would undoubtedly reveal to the fans that it is the latter.

I think GK is a position where we are strong.  I wouldn''t mind too much if we sell Ruddy for a big fee.  We could go with Bunn/Rudd competing for first choice and get a 3rd string GK as cover, then reinvest the money elsewhere.

If no-one offers us big money for Ruddy, we''re fine as we are.

[quote user="Its Character Forming"]

I think GK is a position where we are strong.  I wouldn''t mind too much if we sell Ruddy for a big fee.  We could go with Bunn/Rudd competing for first choice and get a 3rd string GK as cover, then reinvest the money elsewhere.

[/quote]

A top manager once said to me that a great goalkeeper is worth an extra 10 points per season. Do you seriously think that Rudd & Bunn are good enough as the regular starters for a club aiming to get automatic promotion back to the Premier League?

For me Rudd is a player of the future. He has gained great first team experience with Preston and made appearances as a sub for us..

Its ironic that we have happy to go with Murphy/loza on the basis of a couple of sub appearances yet when we have a regular match ready youngster to invest/trust in starting appearances we baulk.

We know what Mark Bunn is; he did not impress me when ruddy was injured and he is a little short Rudd is also nowhere near the finished article. However he will come on leaps and bounds for a season in the champs. IF ruddy goes I am confident that we will see rudd grow. Yes he will make some mistakes (so did ruddy, and bunn definitely will) but now i is time.

Yes to be on the bench to bunn.

But if were to go up then we would need a goalkeeper with genuine premiership aspirations, bunn is ok but not going to get better, Rudd is going to get better but if were to bounce back after 1 season he would not be good enough for a prem season.

Exactly like every other player we get, they have to be players who can adjust to the premiership, you cannot have championship.calibre players in the prem, moments of lack of concentration and quality can send you down so you have to buy wisely. We didn''t last time we came down but I would look at more senior players who may be released from the prem teams.

Regardless of whether Rudd is ready or not, and lets be honest very few young keepers play regularly in th top two divisions,we must try an keep Ruddy at all costs, a crucial member of our team if we are to bounce straight back.  

Assuming we sell Ruddy then clearly Bunn would be our No1 with Rudd as the No2. Bunn is a very decent ''keeper and deserves a shot now.

Remember back to the ''Ruddy isn''t good enough'' threads a mere three years ago!

Red Ruddy?

Rudd Ready?

I actually think we should aim to keep Ruddy, Rudd and Bunn and also sign this bloke to complete the set.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=an8lbiZUt3I

[quote user="Jonzey"]Assuming we sell Ruddy then clearly Bunn would be our No1 with Rudd as the No2. [/quote]

Is that clear?

Why would Bunn start? Rudd is the future, Bunn is not. If we sell Ruddy and he still doesn''t get to start I think he would fairly swiftly be off. Why are we so nervous about giving a great young prospect a chance? It worked well with Green when Marshall left.

[quote user="GJP"]

[quote user="Jonzey"]Assuming we sell Ruddy then clearly Bunn would be our No1 with Rudd as the No2. [/quote]

Is that clear?

[/quote]

Yes. What''s your point?

Bunn is clearly the most experienced of the two, the most senior, and better at this point in time.

Wow, quoting using a phone doesn''t work very well.

Mods! Sort out the coding. Smart phones aren''t a new thing!

Bunn is alright as backup but has he ever managed to establish himself as a first choice ''keeper at Prem or Champs level for a prolonged spell? The only club he''s ever been genuine first choice at was Northampton.

He''s been decent when called upon to cover for injuries but it''s never been any more than decent. His lack of height and reach have clearly been a problem, he let in goals that Ruddy wouldn''t have. And I think the same would go for Rudd who also has a height advantage on Bunn.

Rudd is coming off the back of a full season of football, whereas Bunn has had a year of sitting on the bench.

If Ruddy leaves I don''t think Bunn will be the man to replace him.

It will take a blockbuster offer to prise Ruddy away. My hunch is he''ll remain here next season & be worth every penny. Like another poster has already said, a keeper of his quality is worth another 10 points per season - especially in the Championship. Regardless of our back four, I for one, would feel a lot more confident with JR between the sticks. Can you imagine his calming ability at Portman Road? Perfect.

Rudd, & Bunn are simply nowhere near his standard. I''d put Jed Steer ahead of those two anyway...

Know a friend of Ruddys dad and when he moved here it was a dream move location wise

as he hated the north with a passion and is now living close to all his family

but then money does talk