Sign in to follow this  
YellowNets1901

RvW to Benfica?

Benfica reportedly want RvW according to Paddy Davitt via Twitter. Don''t know about you, but I can''t wait for this player to leave. Him still being here is a constant reminder of the awful season we''ve just had.

Get him gone!

Obviously he''s shown he can score goals in Portugal but I''m not sure if he''s good enough to play for Benfica. They''re a pretty good side.

Maybe they would just see him as a squad player more than a first choice.

After one shocking season in the EPL for him, I wonder how much his value has dropped from £8.5 mil?

If they are interested, perhaps loaning him out would be the best option and hope he hits the type of form he was in when he was last playing in Portugal. Then his value may increase and hopefully Norwich can get their money back, if not more.

Saying that I''m still a dreamer and I''d like to think with confidence and an attacking team behind him, he can still live up to the hope and expectation that he arrived here with. I''d still want to give him a chance to play for us, N.A. will know by now what he would like to do with him. I guess in the forthcoming weeks, we shall find out.

Loan him out for a season.

He will scores goals in that league again and we would get more for him in 12 months time than we would now.

[quote user="Haggerdoo"][quote user="YellowNets1901"]I can see him leaving for about £7m. No less.[/quote]

based on what?[/quote]

Based on one bad season in the EPL doesn''t make him rubbish. And clearly these European teams will still rate him.

Still think there''s more to RvW than we''ve seen. I started the season really backing the player and now I know it''s so hard after so many bad performances.

I wouldn''t say he was the only one letting the side down, general tactics under hughton would never flatter any striker and the players didn''t exactly cover themselves in glory.

I''d like to give I''m a chance under Adams with more freedom and see/hope if he comes good. Everyone suggests how terrible he is and how rubbish the Portuguese league is but a team like benfica that rolled Tottenham over are interested there is coming about him we haven''t seen

So the people who slated CH and his style of football (if you can call it that), continue to slate 1 striker for not scoring.

Incredible if you stop and think.

Holt left because he couldn''t stand it.....Hooper not scoring...RVW not scoring...none of the strikers managing to get many goals. In fact our lowest goals for I think ever.

Yet it''s all RVW''s fault!

Try looking at the system. Slow if not no buildup. Our "favourite Snodgrass" holding up every (using the term losely) attack and allowing defenders to get back into position. Plus shaking what confidence he had by snatching the ball away for that penalty.

The hype on his back from day one without letting him settle in.

Being asked to play in a role not suited to his style (as was Hooper)

IF he now wants to stay and Adams plays the style he is saying he will, fast attacking football, then RVW and Hooper will thrive and be the outstanding strikers in the Champs.

I hope Snodgrass leaves which would stop the team being one dimensionable and perhaps become a TEAM again.

Get off his back and give him support, don''t take your disappointment in the failure of the last two years out on him.

Personally i hope we keep him. I would give him another season, and see what he can do in a team that is intent on winning games rather than not trying to lose them. Obviously with aspirations of promotion we are going to after lots more wins, but we are also naturally going to be on the front foot more this season as we will be the ''big team'' in a lot of our encounters. The patterns of play will be very different this season because of that and hooper and wolfswinkel came from and thrived at clubs that are more used to being the favourite in the game and the team on the attack. This subtle shift in the balance of the game might help them both.

Whatever we do we must not sell on the cheap. We shouldn''t sell for much less than we bought.

[quote user="The Butler"]

So the people who slated CH and his style of football (if you can call it that), continue to slate 1 striker for not scoring.

Holt left because he couldn''t stand it.....Hooper not scoring...RVW not scoring...none of the strikers managing to get many goals. In fact our lowest goals for I think ever.

Try looking at the system. Slow if not no buildup. Our "favourite Snodgrass" holding up every (using the term losely) attack and allowing defenders to get back into position. Plus shaking what confidence he had by snatching the ball away for that penalty.

IF he now wants to stay and Adams plays the style he is saying he will, fast attacking football, then RVW and Hooper will thrive and be the outstanding strikers in the Champs.

I hope Snodgrass leaves which would stop the team being one dimensionable and perhaps become a TEAM again.

Get off his back and give him support, don''t take your disappointment in the failure of the last two years out on him.

[/quote]

I agree with all your points but a little narrow minded regarding snodgrass. You''ve said that the majority of the attacking players have struggled, which is correct. What''s the point in snodgrass hurrying the play and crossing the ball into a box with 0/1 of our players? He''s also suffered

The Butler wrote the following post at 30/05/2014 12:19 PM:

Holt left because he couldn''t stand it.....Hooper not scoring...RVW not scoring...none of the strikers managing to get many goals. In fact our lowest goals for I think ever.

Once again the Butler is spot on.

There are people on this forum who would blame the striker for not scoring if we played a 9 0 1 formation (at times I think we did!) when the real problem was the system that was being played.

I could not agree more about RvW, about Hooper or about Snodgrass.

@ Haggerdoo - Based on the fact that the club would never just sell him for say £3-4m after spending £8.5m on him a year ago. That''s awful business. They''d rather keep him until someone meets an amount they deem acceptable.

Of course he will have suitors.

He has a fantastic record and let''s be clear he played for a Norwich team that was woulda e flirting with relegation all year. Agents, clubs and others knew that. The football world knows he has more than potential, we wasted I t by not playing to his strengths and as many have alluded too, to any strikers strengths.

I think his value hasn''t dropped in Europe, in the uk it has but most will realise he could go to a big club and actually be a good striker for many years to come.

If we had genuine quick wingers he would have the service, he has the attributes to be a prem striker, put the pieces around him and he would. We waited for 2 new wingers and an attacking midfielder last year, we didn''t get them... If we keep our strikers we need quality in those positions.

Otherwise if he left there would be no hard feelings, we did not give him a platform WTO perform, remember at the end of the season a few keepers made great saves from him that could have changed our season, Fulham away and another home game when the keeper was in the rig to place.

He is our most sellable asset

[/quote]

Good post Butler, I still think the penalty thing v Villa caused so many issues for RVW, Snodgrass, Hughton and ultimately NCFC.

The Great Wall:-

I agree about the crossing BUT if you look where RVW was for his one goal..in the box.

At the start of the season both he and Hooper were making those runs and the ball never came.

So they started getting deeper and deeper in search of the ball, so when Snodgrass looked up there was no one there.

It became a self perpetuating situation, not helped by the system and ever increasing lack of confidence in themselves AND the players around them to produce the chances.

I think with the way Adams played (as a player) and the intentions expressed by him and the board, that this will alter drastically.

Well it can''t get much worse that what we have had for the last 2 seasons can it?

I think we should keep him till Chrtistmas at least. If we sell now we wont recoup anywhere near what we paid for him, hes under contract lets see what he can do in the championship.

The Portuguese league despite what they say isnt that wonderful and is probably only just better than the championship. Keep him and see how he does in the champ if he starts scoring loads then it will be a massive confidence boost and the perfect opportunity for him to move up in a years time and actually score in the prem, if hes still not scoring by Christmas then for sure get rid!

Spot on Butler. The club don''t need to sell and are unlikely to do so at a considerable loss on what we have paid. If Benfica come in with £7 million + then we might do business. However I would like to see him stay and see what he does next season in an attack focussed team.

It would be insane to see Wolfy playing Champions League football next season after the season he has just had.

If we do let him go for £5m or something then I hope we get a good sell on clause inserted, 20% or something. If he goes and scores goals for fun in the CL then he could still find suitors in Spain or Italy in the future, just because he has blown it in the EPL doesn''t mean he can''t go on and do well elsewhere.

Snodgrass will always have his doubters but he''s a player you don''t realise the quality until he''s gone. I''m a fan of Redmond, can beat the best of defenders but his crossing isn''t near the standard of snodgrass''.

Back go RvW I personally think he would clean up in the championship. Like others have said, unless somebody is willing to bid 7 million that we can spend on another forward I''d like to keep him here.

I, too, would like the opportunity to see what he can do in a division lower, under a different manager, with some different players alongside/behind him and with a different philosophy underpinning the playing style. I would love to see him succeed for us ultimately.However, Neil has a lot more relevant info to hand when making the decisions than we do. He will have spoken to the player many times, he will have solicited the thoughts and opinions of other players, he will have seen RvW''s attitude outside the 90mins each match that we get to see. He will know about issues in the lad''s personal life and how his early-season injury affected him, how that ''incident'' with Snodgrass affected him, how the fans'' support or otherwise affected him. He may even get a chance to assess how any of that has changed over the course of the close season and assess whether his talent could still be harnessed. We don''t know any of this. What makes any of us equipped to decide whether he should stay or go?If other top teams in Europe do see the potential in him, why should they reap the benefits of that potential instead of us?And if we loan him out for a season where he scores a bagful of goals such that his value increases again; once more, why should we sell him so other teams benefit from his rediscovered confidence and scoring touch? Why not keep our rejuvenated asset?He failed with us in the EPL for reasons we can only speculate on. Why is that some kind of cast-iron guarantee that he couldn''t do a decent job this year where the circumstances have changed?

[/quote]I agree 100% with you, shame more people cant see it. But then again most posters have green specs

[quote user="The Great Wall Of Tettey"]Snodgrass will always have his doubters but he''s a player you don''t realise the quality until he''s gone. I''m a fan of Redmond, can beat the best of defenders but his crossing isn''t near the standard of snodgrass''.

Back go RvW I personally think he would clean up in the championship. Like others have said, unless somebody is willing to bid 7 million that we can spend on another forward I''d like to keep him here.[/quote]

Snodgrass doesn''t cross with his right foot unless he has to.  That is the sign of a limited player, especially one playing on the right.  Dolly drop crosses on his left foot  after the defence has had a chance to organise themselves is league 2 stuff. 

The Great Wall Of Tettey wrote

Snodgrass''s a player you don''t realise the quality until he''s gone.

Sadly when we was not in the side we did as well as when he wasnt - man citeh at home was particularly strong;

as far as comparing snodgrass and redmonds crosses goes, redmond is the most accurate (at the club) by some way while snodgrass failed to land over 200 of his 278 crosses with redmond more than 11% more accurate. The only crossing fact snoddgrass out performed redmond on was the sheer volumes crosses per game (mainly failed).

Nutty Nige - I may be putting words in butlers mouth here but I think he, like me, is blaming the style of play. As the style of was so focused through him and the right side of the pitch - over 40% of attacks when that side. That is the style/managers problem

Snoddys poor crossing and constant stopping of build up play simply exacerbated it.

And RvW is not a poor player, he had a woeful season where the club played a key part in his failure.

Snodgrass''s scores or makes a goal around once every 3 games in the Premier League. (12 goals, 8 assists in in 67 appearances total)
Clearly that''s not good enough.
[;)]

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]The Great Wall Of Tettey wrote Snodgrass''s a player you don''t realise the quality until he''s gone. Sadly when we was not in the side we did as well as when he wasnt - man citeh at home was particularly strong; as far as comparing snodgrass and redmonds crosses goes, redmond is the most accurate (at the club) by some way while snodgrass failed to land over 200 of his 278 crosses with redmond more than 11% more accurate. The only crossing fact snoddgrass out performed redmond on was the sheer volumes crosses per game (mainly failed). Nutty Nige - I may be putting words in butlers mouth here but I think he, like me, is blaming the style of play. As the style of was so focused through him and the right side of the pitch - over 40% of attacks when that side. That is the style/managers problem Snoddys poor crossing and constant stopping of build up play simply exacerbated it. And RvW is not a poor player, he had a woeful season where the club played a key part in his failure.[/quote]

Thanks Zipper that is the point I was trying to make

It seems someone is just looking for an argument.