Sign in to follow this  
Jacks Back

Andrew Surman

Whilst my natural instinct is to say keep I agree with Dubai Mark - he has been off the scene for too long.

I also understand he has pretty much upped sticks and moved the family to Bournemouth and the south coast is home to him. So I would expect him to want to be off unless we can offer him a much better contract than Bournemouth. And if we are splashing the cash, hopefully we could do better.

Persuading Surman to play next season would be like having a new signing. One who is proven at this level and in his prime, and has done well for us in the past.

No brainer for me.

Keep hes deffo a quality championship player just not good enough for the prem.

Probably one of Hughtons best bit of business loaning him rather than selling

Like him and would keep him as long as we never play him and Snodgrass as our wingers- makes us so bloody narrow.

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"] defensively solid [/quote]

You are joking!

No pace, cant tackle, poor at tracking back, lightweight.

IMHO, we cant play Surman and Howson in the same midfield. 

Take the money and run!

The question is where do you play him? We used to have him as the left sided player in the diamond, where he worked quite well as he is neither a centre mid or a winger and doesnt really have the attributes to excel at either position. Good footballer but would he fit into whatever system Adams wants to play? He is not pacey or direct so a wide position wouldnt be suitable for him. Could he play behind the striker? But then is he mobile enough or enough of a goal threat? Simply because I cant see where we would play him I would suggest sell. Where did bournemouth play him?

[quote user="The Great Mass Debater"]The question is where do you play him? We used to have him as the left sided player in the diamond, where he worked quite well as he is neither a centre mid or a winger and doesnt really have the attributes to excel at either position. Good footballer but would he fit into whatever system Adams wants to play? He is not pacey or direct so a wide position wouldnt be suitable for him. Could he play behind the striker? But then is he mobile enough or enough of a goal threat? Simply because I cant see where we would play him I would suggest sell. Where did bournemouth play him?[/quote]

Would seem to fit in the left side of a five man midfield, as in -   Bennett Howson Tettey Surman RedmondBennett and Redmond are capable and have the speed to track back to help Howson and Surman and these two have the passing ability to get things moving again.If we lose Tettey, Johnson could be the man in the middle with strict instructions not to attempt passes of more than five yards.