Sign in to follow this  
Jacks Back

Andrew Surman

Seems clear that Bournemouth are willing to pay around 800K to £1m for him, but is he worth keeping?

He proved himself a good championship player with us, and didn''t disgrace himself in the premiership in the first season. Personally I''d keep him, as is one of the characters who helped get us promotion so I''m sure players like Martin and Ruddy would be glad to have him back.

So would you keep him or ditch him?

Would most certainly keep him. Always have been a fan of him.

HOWEVER, if Bournemouth were to offer us £1m, then I think we should consider that. Less than a million, I would tell them where to go.

I''d keep him, from what I have seen of him while he was on loan I think he''ll be a welcome addition.

If we get rid off Snodders & Pilks than I think he is good enough to keep next year!

Depends on Adams plans, if he''s looking to bring on Bennett, Murphy & Redmond than probably will be sold.

We could, of course, get nothing in twelve months, when his contract runs out. I doubt if we would very much now, either.

So the questions for the club are whether we should keep him, and if we let him go how much more would we need to find for a (superior) replacement.

My own feeling is that, bearing in mind how much the squad will be depleted by departures and loan players returning to their clubs, we shuld keep him.

Definitely keep. He''s a good player. He''s a good technician with smart use of the ball.

keep. may not have the best pace, but is technically good and knows the championship, no point in selling whilst we''re in the champs

Keep. As above, he''s proven at this level and has experience of a successful promotion campaign.

Keep. We spent most of last season desperately needing a midfielder capable of dictating the play and maneuvering the ball to either our strikers or wide-midfielders. Surman is the answer to that. He''s also left footed, which I view as very important in a balanced midfield.

keep

is back to full fitness and both works hard (covered more ground than any city player in the 1st prem season) defensively solid and very good use of the ball. could he do a central role given his lack of pace rather than his usual wide role?

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"] . could he do a central role given his lack of pace rather than his usual wide role?[/quote]

I would like to see him played centrally.

I think a trio of him, Howson and Tettey would be formidable in the Championship. And I think any combination of 2 from those 3 would also be a good centre mid.

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]keep

is back to full fitness and both works hard (covered more ground than any city player in the 1st prem season) defensively solid and very good use of the ball. could he do a central role given his lack of pace rather than his usual wide role?[/quote]
Interestingly, he spent most of last season playing as a one of the central midfielders in a 4-4-2 so it seems he would be quite comfortable adopting a more central role in whatever formation Adam''s selects as his first choice.

[quote user="GJP"]

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"] . could he do a central role given his lack of pace rather than his usual wide role?[/quote]

I would like to see him played centrally.

I think a trio of him, Howson and Tettey would be formidable in the Championship. And I think any combination of 2 from those 3 would also be a good centre mid.

[/quote]
I agree, I think a 4-3-3 with Tettey holding, Surman on the left and Howson on the right would be amazing to watch, although a 4-2-3-1 with Surman and Tettey deep with Howson playing behind the striker also sounds very tempting...

Well that''s decided then, we nearly all agree a useful squad member....that means he off!!

It''s Interesting to read all the positive comments, he used to get loads of stick from posters on here about not being good enough! For what it''s worth I would be happy to have him back at the club.

Wow, pretty unanimous stuff! He always seemed to be a divisive player in terms of fans loving/hating him but seems everybody wants him to stay.

For me, his name popped into my head when reading the thread regarding a number 10. From what I remember of our last champs season, didn''t he score a few from getting in front of the strikers, something we lacked last year?

[quote user="Rogue Baboon"]Wow, pretty unanimous stuff! He always seemed to be a divisive player in terms of fans loving/hating him but seems everybody wants him to stay.

For me, his name popped into my head when reading the thread regarding a number 10. From what I remember of our last champs season, didn''t he score a few from getting in front of the strikers, something we lacked last year?[/quote]
The reason people disliked him was because he was assumed to be ''light-weight'' and somewhat defensively irresponsible. Both, I think, have proven to be untrue and, in all honesty, after watching Bradley Johnson for 2 seasons, I''ll take someone who may be ''light-weight'' and ''defensively irresponsible'' who can actually pass the bloody ball over the physical aggression of Johnson any day.

Why would he want to stay ? i would think hes happier and feels more appreciated at Bournemouth than he would playing for a club that has dumped him the last 2 seasons , and whats his future here ? if we go up he knows he will be dumped again , hardly the best incentive for him .He will sign for Bournemouth .

Exactly the kind of player we need centrally (or filling in wide left when required).  If we finally get back to playing the Norwich way then he is exactly what has been missing.  Tip of a diamond, even as a number 10 or CM he would be what has been missing.  Still need off the ball movement in order to make the pass but at least is capable of passing!!If Howson truly is a box to box player or Fer then just chuck him in alongside them.  Any of those 3 would be intelligent enough to play together in a midfield pairing.We shouldnt need a Tettey or Johnson against half the teams in the Championship....just take the game to them!

The reason people were divided on him, was about his ability to play well in the Prem. We are now in the Championship, which is the level where he looks good. I would like to keep him, but he may be tempted to go back to Bournemouth.

If we keep him (for the last year of his contract) and this time next year we have been promoted, what then? Will he be deemed not good enough and sold for nothing?

I really am not sure now we have new management and considering he has been away on loan so long. Sure I too rated him, but in all honesty I wouldnt be upset if he moved on for a decent fee as we really do need to have some new faces in the squad.