Sign in to follow this  
crabbycanary

Ricky Lambert. What's that all about?

On the verge of signing for Liverpool.

I will bow to Rodgers superior knowledge, but even Liverpool fans are baffled.

To me, he doesn''t seem a ''Liverpool player'' and after last season, with the way Liverpool attacked with the likes of Suarez, Sturridge, Sterling etc,how will he fit into their system?

I don''t think that''s what Paul Scholes had in mind when he said that England should play like Liverpool, at the World Cup.

Rodgers has got far more right than wrong since he joined, but not sure where he his heading with this one.

Lambert will think it''s Xmas, with a last pay day, and being a fan, and ex Youth Player.

That''s a clever and astute signing for me. They need a bigger squad to cope with Europe, he probably won''t expect to play every game but will give them competition up front and offers them something different to what they have. All for a reasonable price.

I know the rumour of 9m transfer fee is great business for a 32 year old, but if you add likely sales to Lallana and Shaw in and you''d be very worried if you were a Southampton fan, basically ripping the heart out of the team. You could just imagine how much flak Delia and Co would be getting on here in the same situation.

The initial fee is apparently far less than the reported £9m, more like £4m upfront with lots of add-ons.

I think it''s a clever signing, and he''ll certainly bolster their forward line-up in my opinion.

Expect Lallana and Shaw to follow.

£4m i think with add ons. Thats a bargain, he will get goals for them undoubtedly. Will be a good squad man and an excellent option from the bench.

I get the squad thing, and that Lambert is a decent player. It is how he will fit into the Liverpool way?

How they did it last season was within a whisker of being the ultimate best. The only criticism was possibly naiveity with Rodgers for the Chelsea game, but they did have a superb season none the less. So why change it? Or, if that isn''t the case, why have £4m worth of talent used sporadically?

(Again I appreciate that £4m isn''t as much to Liverpool as it is us)

How will Rodgers use him to make a difference next season? I would have thought he would have gone for ''similar'' players of his current forward line, which, with the greatest respect to Lambert, he ain''t.

How will he be used in the European games, where I would have thought the ''Liverpool way'' of last season would be very effective.

Intrigued, that''s all, and already I''ve had a Liverpool fan text me this morning, saying pretty much the same.

Impact sub to provide a different and more muscular dimension in a stalemate, especially in the air and especially in Europe.

Some similarity with Dirk Kuyt in this respect, or Tony Hateley for those with longer memories.

Useful addition @ £4m

Lambert isn''t just a big man, battering ram style player - he''s proven at Southampton that he has many more aspects to his game that this and the ''Southampton way'' isn''t hugely different from the ''Liverpool way''.

I imagine he''ll be used in games against smaller clubs when Liverpool want to rest either Suarez or Sturridge and in Lambert there is no risk he won''t adapt to the Premier League. Also, Lambert was in the Liverpool academy when he was younger, so counts as a ''club grown'' player for Europe. If he scores 20 goals over the next couple of seasons that is a great deal for the money they have paid.

Lambert for Southampton is what Holt was for us. Their fans will not be happy at losing their talisman.

But as a scouser I expect he would jump at a chance to move back, particularly with a big pay day.

Could be an astute move by Rodgers - would give different options. Possibly to protect a lead by sitting a bit deeper and protecting that leaky defence of theirs, Lambert would provide the out ball - so could be good and necessary for the Champions league.

[quote user="crabbycanary"]I get the squad thing, and that Lambert is a decent player. It is how he will fit into the Liverpool way? How they did it last season was within a whisker of being the ultimate best. The only criticism was possibly naiveity with Rodgers for the Chelsea game, but they did have a superb season none the less. So why change it? Or, if that isn''t the case, why have £4m worth of talent used sporadically? (Again I appreciate that £4m isn''t as much to Liverpool as it is us) How will Rodgers use him to make a difference next season? I would have thought he would have gone for ''similar'' players of his current forward line, which, with the greatest respect to Lambert, he ain''t. How will he be used in the European games, where I would have thought the ''Liverpool way'' of last season would be very effective. Intrigued, that''s all, and already I''ve had a Liverpool fan text me this morning, saying pretty much the same.[/quote]

You don''t improve by staying the same, what you call the ''Liverpool way'' can be improved on and maybe Rodgers sees Ricky Lambert as part of the improvement.

Lambert is a very underrated player, he scored 13 goals last season but more importantly provided 10 assists.

The "Liverpool Way" doesn''t always work, as Chelsea highlighted towards the end of the season.  Having something a little different in Lambert could be just what they need when the "Liverpool Way" isn''t working.

I haven''t bothered to read the replies here. But Ricky Lambert is exactly the kind of player that Liverpool need. A target man with great feet and great awareness - brings others into play. Something Andy Carroll could never do.

Will score a hatful I reckon.

Good, smart signing for them.

And well done to Lambert for having gone through the lower leagues like he has done to get to this point - going to the World Cup and the dream move to Liverpool.

Just love the people on here who say do not know if good deal!

4Million for a young British striker proven in Premier League must be steal of the year if not decade.

What annoys me is the way Southampton are run they deserve to be in Conference not Premier League, they are even now selling their prize assets without a manager in place! They got rid of a decent manager who took them up into Premiership for no reason , replace him with someone who has no experience in this league and can not even speak English and succeed.

Then hack him off by sacking his mate.

If this was our club could you imagine the outpourings on here!

I would be staggered if they survive next year just because the players are leaving even faster than our club and as we know to our cost just spending cash on new players does not give you decent team

The way players are stereotyped by who they played for or their size baffles me.

Any NCFC supporter should know from the way Holt played for us that its ability that counts more than any other factor. And I''m convinced Holt would have scored more than he did in his second season in the Prem if he had been given the support.

Rickie Lambert has scored 28 Prem goals in two seasons. Free kicks, headers etc, He can score the lot.

And although Suarez scored 31 goals last season, the majority came in two and threes so in fact Sturridge scored more regular. So adding Lambert, and 32 is no age if you are fit, makes a lot of sense. It is one more dimension to their admirable intention of scoring goals to win the Prem.

more worryingly, they''ve bid £25m for lallana. Now don''t get me wrong, he''s had a great season, but £25m? They could buy a real world class player for that much

[quote user="CJ"]Just love the people on here who say do not know if good deal!

4Million for a young British striker proven in Premier League must be steal of the year if not decade. [/quote]
You are aware he is 32 right? I wouldn''t call that "young"....

Liverpool weren''t the only team in for Ricky. West Ham literally begged him to sign, but he refused, instead opting for his childhood favourites. This was all done and dusted nearly 2 weeks ago despite Sky Sports ''breaking news'' on Friday that Ricky had agreed terms.

Rickie Lambert is one of my favourite players. Not only is he an excellent striker but he also seems a top bloke. He''s admitted he''s living his dream and seems to be loving every moment. Now he''s joined his boyhood club and is going to the World Cup. Doesn''t get any better than that.

Fair play to you Rickie, let''s hope you get some proper game time next season, and in Brazil.