Sign in to follow this  
NCFC91

David Bentley

Now i know he was on loan at Norwich 2004/05 season, scored 2 goals and got a few assists, played for Tottenham, Arsenal, Blackburn and West Ham. He is currently a free agent and ive wondered if he could be a good signing to have him back at Norwich. What do you think?

God no, just read the bits in Bullards book about him is enough to put you off. Bad attitude, lack of discipline etc. Shame because was ab excellent player in his Blackburn days. Made his money in football and doesnt really seem tobthered about working for it.

Doesn''t he run/co-own a bar in Marbella now?

I seem to remember I saw an interview with him several years ago when he said being a footballer wasn''t actually his dream career. Probably at least partly explains why his career has gone the way it has.

The boy was certainly talented and the boy certainly had a bad attitude.

I wonder if the man still has a bad attitude?

Saw him interviewed a couple of weeks ago on btsports, he said he really does not miss footie and was unsure if he would ever play again. Has his bar business and a couple of things on the go as well.

Here is an interview with David Bentley from three days ago:

http://www.newstalk.ie/player/podcasts/Off_The_Ball/Off_The_Ball_Highlights/54487/2/David_Bentley

Listen to that..... and then bow your head in shame OP.

He''s an idiot and a loser.

When even the likes of MK Dons turned him down for not being good enough after a trial spell (no official news just personal knowledge), I cant see him playing for us somehow

We''ve already got Carlton Morris. We could add Bentley and Charlie Austin. Should keep Joe Ferrari happy at least...

Good find Grantsmoustache.

Bentley comes across as an utter peni$ in that interview. He''s basically a lazy guy who just wanted to mess about with his mates AND get paid £50k a week to do it. But the poor lamb didn''t like the training and analytical sports science side, or working hard to improve.

The last I heard about him before this was he had tried to get a contact with QPR last summer but they wouldn''t pay him the money he wanted, he wouldn''t budge on his demands so didn''t sign. He''s been in limbo ever since and now seems to be pretending he has fallen out of love with it all. Sounds like he''s sulking to me.

From that interview I thought he seemed kinda cool. Disillusioned with the whole thing.

Takes balls just to say **** that.

Where would a lot of these guys be if it were not for football? All the money, fame, and pressure is gonna screw with your head.

“Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life.”

― Confucius

Bentley stopped loving it and, perhaps, is better off out of it.

Football is something to love and should not be ''just a job''.

I worked in a job I didn''t particularly like but the money was good for about ten years.

I now wish I had worked for less and enjoyed my life more!

Wasnt it Bentley that , when asked the best thing about Norwich said....''the road to London''.

Waste of money,space and oxygen.

SamBlacksmith he sounded like a complete t*sser to me.

OK for him to get to 29 after being paid £50k a week for years without being fit or giving a monkeys, to then turn around and moan that money is ruining the game.

Now he is saying that football wasn''t his dream and opening restaurants.

With the money that he made from football.

He wouldn''t have that money if he hadn''t had big contracts in football. How can you leave football to invest your millions in bars and restaurants on one hand, and moan about the money in football in the other.

Been a complete waster sitting around on a fat contract for ages, now doesn''t fancy the Championship (his level now) on £5k a week.

And he called running coaches "hanger on''s". They are probably normal guys with Sports Science degrees on £30k a year, who have to go into work and put up with insufferable idiots like Bentley who moans that he isn''t enjoying two hours a training a day for £50k a week.

David Bentley of all people, who sat on a fat contract getting fat and wasting his contract, saying that running coaches are hanger on''s..... he is the opposite of cool, he is a loser.

The point being that when he fell out of love with the game and couldn''t be bothered anymore, he hardly walked into Harry Redknapp''s office and told him that he isn''t bothered about money so rip up his contract.

He waited a few years until his contract ran out to tell us all that he didn''t want to do something for the money. He was happy with the money when he was getting it, moaning about it after the fact.

By contrast you have James Beattie who loves the sport so much that despite being a multi millionaire is on £50k a year at Accrington and giving most of it back when they run out of money to pay for the team coach or pay the milk bill. Giving something back to the game which he did very well out of.

Wasn''t David Batty another player who hated football but did it just to make money? Might be wrong but think it was him who said he couldn''t wait to retire and get out of the game?

Having read the excerpt from Bullard''s book I found it embarrassing and just plain moronic when talking about Capello.

Such little regard for the honour of playing for their country and a mindset that seems to have been weened on ''lads mags'' and all the shit they pedal.

People slate Joey Barton but at least he doesn''t bask in his own ignorance. He may well say things that are ill considered but at least he wants to try and improve himself in all areas of his life, all credit to him for doing a degree, going on QT and the various causes he champions. To me he wants to be something more than yet another multi millionaire footballer and all credit to him.

Bentley was undoubtedly a gifted lad and no doubt it''s his choice to go a different way but that drivel from Bullard told me everything you ever needed to know about his character.

What a waste.

Maybe I used the word ''cool'' wrong, but I thought there was something to it (I was also surprised to hear him speak in that accent, doesn''t seem to suit his face.)

He kinda reminded me of the guitarist Jeff Beck. Someone who is admired by so many musicians, spanning across genres, but doesn''t seem to care. His passion is all about fixing hot rods, so he''ll do his tour, get his few bob, then retreat to this country home to play with his cars.

I''m not saying David Bentley is a fantastic role model, or even a good guy. But it sounds like he abused the system, rather than indulging it. I occasionally have to make stuff I''d rather not, but it frees me up to do sculpture for several months. If that''s where he''s at, then fair play.

He used his resources, got out, and is now doing something he enjoys. Actually, I think that''s pretty cool.

Met him at V Festival, completely off his face. But as far as i''m aware he owns a bar abroad now, and doesn''t look like he wants to return to football. Did enjoy seeing him play in the 04-05 season though.