Sign in to follow this  
nutty nigel

First Team Coach

Much has been made of the TD appointment and yet nothing much has been said about Adams assistant or first team coach. Back when Dave Stringer was promoted is right hand man Williams was also promoted from within. David Williams was responsible for some of the best football I''ve ever seen from us. Can Mark Robson step up and be successful or will we be bringing someone in?

As long as it''s roadworthy, got six legal tyres, a competent driver, and capable of  getting the team/officials to far flung places like the Riverside and Bloomfield Road, then I think , as fans, we''ll all be happy, Nige.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

I somehow think you''d be happier if it was a clapped out jalopy.

[/quote]Just shows how little you know of me, Nige.I wouldn''t wish the team to travel in anything that I would not be prepared to use myself. And I insist in reliability, safety and comfort for my road transport.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]Much has been made of the TD appointment and yet nothing much has been said about Adams assistant or first team coach. Back when Dave Stringer was promoted is right hand man Williams was also promoted from within. David Williams was responsible for some of the best football I''ve ever seen from us. Can Mark Robson step up and be successful or will we be bringing someone in?[/quote]

Yes David Williams was a fantastic coach (and a great player for us too). Many supporters seem to favour the external candidates but I would not be disappointed if it was an internal appointment. Having said that I feel that had Robson been the choice then he would have been announced with NA.

RB

[quote user="nutty nigel"]Much has been made of the TD appointment and yet nothing much has been said about Adams assistant or first team coach. Back when Dave Stringer was promoted is right hand man Williams was also promoted from within. David Williams was responsible for some of the best football I''ve ever seen from us. Can Mark Robson step up and be successful or will we be bringing someone in?[/quote]As far as the first-team coach is concerned I don''t have a dogmatic opinion on internal or external, although with Adams having been promoted from the youth team I would be wary of another internal choice, given that they would, by definition, have no first-team experience.But what could be a disaster would be if the first-team coach and the technical director were both internal appointments, creating - with Adams -  a triumvirate potentially far too cosy and lacking in streetwise knowhow. A situation that would be even more problematic if the chief scout was also a low-key and inexperienced figure, making the technical committee underpowered in terms of keeping a check on the manager.

I wouldn''t have too much problem with Robson if he was Adams choice. It would mean he''d made a huge impression in a few months. Certainly not a case of jobs for his mates. Brown/Machin and Stringer/Williams were extremely successful after all.

Robson definitely seemed to be influential and very hands on. He has also managed in the lower leagues so could be a good right hand man for Adams. I really am intrigued who might come in as coaches. I should dig out my Premier League 94 sticker album and look at the Oldham squad see who has made a name for themselves as a coach.

I don''t care about the "names" as coaches, I just want people that do the job so if it is a backroom team with a good reputation I will not be underwhelmed

It should be borne in mind the disaster that was Liverpool when it promoted ''back room staff'' to management ie Bob Paisley and Joe FaganSuch was their failure from having no experience'' that they were sacked almost immediately, leading to their workroom being known as the getting the Boot Room.