Sign in to follow this  
Iwans Big Toe

Snodgrass

I have really enjoyed reading this and can understand both sides of the opinion to a certain degree. I just want to add that players that play wide up front dont necessarily have to be super quick, and an excellent example of that is David Beckham. Also, when I watched him in many matches last season struggling to have an impact out wide, I often felt he should have been put in a free role just behind the striker, and can see him being played there if he stays for the new season. 

[quote user="Dubai Mark"] I often felt he should have been put in a free role just behind the striker, and can see him being played there if he stays for the new season. [/quote]

Adams did try him in that role, particularly against Fulham.    The result was a car crash but I suspect that is more down to trying  to rush in a change of system leaving players confused,  too often we had snodgrass, fer, johnson and redmond virtually running into each other.   With some more coaching (of the team,  not just snodgrass) that may be a better position for him,   but on the (limited) evidence (ditto left flank,  he is simply not as effective there) sofar I suspect he is most effective on the right flank,  there is a reason why he has played most of his career there.

Not enough goals was a big reason we got relegated. Yet Snodgrass was our second highest scorer. People say he was selfish yet he was one of the best deliverers of accurate crosses into the box in the league statistically this season. We had plenty of problems, but Snodgrass wasn''t one of them.

[quote user="Dubai Mark"]players that play wide up front dont necessarily have to be super quick, and an excellent example of that is David Beckham.  [/quote]

Beckham is a good example of someone who made the most of what they had, lacking pace but adapting his game to make a positive contribution nearly every time they got the ball - either moving the ball on quickly with an incisive pass or crossing, or linking with a full back.   Beckham used to get the ball sometimes on the right and almost immediately curl in a cross, something that if done accurately and quickly, can lead to panic in a defence when they are not fully organised.   Snodgrass is limited in his approach in this regard - he is simply not confident enough on his right foot. 

All he needs to do imo is mix his game up more and not try and do it all himself.  If he doesn''t learn, I fear we will get another season of Snodgrass being the main man, scoring a few goals but if not, running into dead ends and effectively limiting what others in the team can do. 

Right I''ve had a think about this so this might be quite long...

Snodgrass is a player who is at his best when he has people moving around him. He creates LOTS of space for others in the way he runs but last season people didn''t take enough advantage of the space he created. For me him (and the team as a whole) looked best when we had the front 4 of Snoddy, Redmond, Fer and Hooper. Take for instance the West Ham away match- for 75 minutes we dominated and if not for some shoddy finishing we would have been 2 or 3 up before we surrendered the game with some terrible substitutions. Chances were created because Hooper was dragging CB''s around, Fer was attacking from deep and Redmond and Snoddy were swapping around and torturing the fullbacks.

Often this season we were too static with Snodgrass getting the ball, coming inside and being presented with RVW standing alone marked by two defenders. Really he needs midfielders getting into the box or the left winger attacking the back post. Equally he needs a striker to move and make space like Hooper can do rather than aim for an immobile lump like Elmander. Finally he would really benefit from having a full back who can cross overlapping him. I like Martin but his crossing was woeful this season, wasting good positions that Snodgrass created by cutting inside and pushing the fullback back.

As for the ''Hughton v Snodgrass'' debate I will say Snodgrass seemed an odd choice of player for this system Hughton seemed to want to play. If he wanted the team to soak up pressure and then break then the last player you want is a not that fast inverted winger. However I''d argue that for most of the season we seemed to lack a clear cut idea of how we wanted to play and this more than anything led to our relegation.

[quote user="littleyellowbirdie"]People say he was selfish yet he was one of the best deliverers of accurate crosses into the box in the league statistically this season.[/quote]Shame that those stats are utterly incorrect...Snoddy has a lower cross success rate than Redmond, and the only reason he averaged more accurate crosses per game is because he took the lions share of the possession when we had the ball and therefore crossed more overall (even if as a percentage it was worse than others).Redmond, Hoolahan, Pilks, Johnson, Hooper, Bassong, Tettey and Fer ALL had a higher cross accuracy than Snoddy did - but they crossed much less on average in the process.Out of 278 attempted crosses, Snoddy managed to find a player 64 times, so despite crossing the ball 126 times MORE than Redmond, still got less assists...I''ll also point out that his overall pass completion percentage was worse than pretty much every other midfielder in our squad bar Johnson, Benno (who made just 2 apps) and Jonas...So tell me again how the stats support your viewpoint???