Sign in to follow this  
Brightside

Tipping Point?

I think one thing everyone will agree on, is that the board got it horribly wrong by keeping Hughton on as long as they did and sacking him with only five games to go when our fate was already sealed. If action had been taken earlier when it was clear due to the tactics, substitutions, results that relegation was a distinct possibility then who knows things might have been different. Of course you can use the benefit of hindsight line but in all honesty if the majority of people on here were concerned the board must have been too.

Let''s hope they have learned from last season and will take action if things aren''t going well. But just how long will they give Adams and what will be the tipping point that tells the board action must be taken?

I know the season hasn''t started yet and I for one hope Adams does a great job. I''m just hoping that our board have grown a backbone and will take action when it''s needed rather than wait until it''s too late again.

I would like to think that if we are not in the top half at Christmas regardless of if we are playing attractive football or not then something needs to happen.

I suspect the board would be entirely comfortable with ''top half'' as indicative of a satisfactory level of performance consistent with a reset seven year plan.

Well this is an encouraging start to the close season before the transfer window opens.

How many games will the new manager get?

For goodness sake, what is wrong with a bit of optimism?

He has 46 league games and hopefully a few sup games as well.

Hmm, Brightside. The Board "took action" a number of times during the late nineties/early naughties, resulting in no improvement. What do you suppose they ''learned'' from that?

[quote user="splutcho"]If we''re not play offs after 8-10 games he should go.[/quote]

Play-offs is the minimum requirement IMO. This season coming will be our best chance of a quick return as after that the ex-Premier League players (they might not have been very good in that role, but PL players they were) will start to drift away, along with the healthy bank balance and even the attendances and Championship mediocrity will become a norm.

I would give him until the Xmas-New Year games are played, but confess that it could be too late by then (again.)

I am quite confident that Neil Adams will give it a good shot, but we will not be able to dilly-dally with him if the signs that things are not falling into place become evident. 

You can''t really give a specified length of time to these things - consider 85/86 when we started slowly (losing 3 out of the first 5 fixtures) and ran away with the title. I get the distinct impression that if we lose our first game of the season some will already be calling for NA''s head, which would be stupid - he needs to be given a decent shot or there is no point.

[quote user="Chip20"]Hmm, Brightside. The Board "took action" a number of times during the late nineties/early naughties, resulting in no improvement. What do you suppose they ''learned'' from that?[/quote]

They didn''t learn then and they haven''t learnt now. Three good years under Lambert have been undone in two by Hughton. The board said they had thought about replacing Hughton in January but no one suitable was about and now we have appointed the best in Europe - who was at the club in January.

Adams has been in place over a week and has not yet appointed his team although he said he had names in mind it was just a matter of signing contracts then we hear Foley has been vetoed. There are also rumours around the boardroom about unrest. It would appear that the club are heading backwards because if we are looking to youngsters to fast track our promotion and bring back entertaining football we are in for a long hard winter.

If Adams doesn''t get off to a flyer - say 17 to 20 points in the first 10 games - then he''s in trouble. The fans will soon be saying to the Board '' told you so '' and with some justification too. I think he''ll do well, play-off spot at least, but he''s on a hiding to nothing really.If we''re going to lose the first game he''ll be praying it''s not at Carrow Rd.

[quote user="Branston Pickle"]You can''t really give a specified length of time to these things .[/quote]Why can''t you ?Most businesses are run by objective and goal setting these days, and one of the primary criteria for these is that they must be time -based.These are exactly the kind of mistakes that we must not make again . The reason why Hughton''s tenure proved to be such a disaster was precisely that there were no agreed time-based objectives set. Unless you count this ''stay out of the bottom 3'' nonsense. Things were allowed to drift, and when that happens they have a nasty habit of coming back to bite you on the@rse.I really am hoping that Adams and the squad have enough about them to make a good strong start to the campaign. But my secondary hope is that if this proves not to be the case, the board have the b0llocks to act decisively sooner rather than later this time.

Personally, I feel that the majority shareholding duo, including the rest of the board and mainly the CE, got off particularly lightly after our relegation from the top flight......and that''s including the appointment of Neil Adams, which hardly caused a minor rumble amongst the supporters......

Maybe that will change, if we don''t make an impact on the Championship after a dozen or so games.....? 

Providing we''re in the top 2 after 10 games that will be fine with me!

Outside the top 6 in the same period and we''d already be in trouble - not anticipating that though...

Why would position matter much?

You could be eighth and three points off the top two after 8-10 games. And your fixtures could have been against all the fancied sides.

Its got to be the style and nature of the football being played that counts.

Of course winning all the games would be great but I would settle for a nice steady climb to the top.

Should never of been appointed , its going to be a disaster of a season , personally I would get rid now and save on the time , grief and lost points .

[quote user="scrappy33"]Have a feeling things could get nasty.[/quote]feeling ?hope, is what you really mean isn''t it ?