Sign in to follow this  
YellowNets1901

Joe Royle, Mark Robson, Gary Holt Appointed

Ricardo - I think there needs to be fresh blood so to speak in the other areas that we''re appointing. The technical director etc. should be something new and not related to Adams (and probably not the club either).

However, I think it would be hard to have a ''football consultant'' (which, as I understand it, seems to be an assistant manager role in terms of offering advice and supporting the manager but without the hands on side of actually taking the training) who wasn''t somehow connected with Adams. How many managers bring in assistants who they don''t know at all?

If, however, Royle is here in more than that capacity, and has some role which isn''t directly and completely connected to Adams'' management/coaching staff, then I would be slightly disappointed. As you say, Ricardo, someone in that sort of role I feel should not be an Adams'' man.

I can see what the board are trying to do and it''s going to take a little time to adjust, but I like the direction where pointed in now. Pushing towards youth development with young hungry players. Adopting a good passing football style and bringing consistency to the management team so that if one leaves, there is an element of continuity. They are trying to build "The Norwich Way"... this suggests promoting within both management and player wise for years to come.

Sorry but I like the direction we are taking.

Spot on Michael, with a playing style that we were crying out for during the dour days of Hughton, i think it will take time to sink in with a few, and others who cant actually see it will have to wait till they see us play and get results. The sad thing is when our own fans, allegedly, are slagging the new team off before seeing what they can deliver, shame on them!

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]

The interesting question is whether Royle is going to act as football consultant purely to Adams, or to the board as well, as a possibly occasional director of football (albeit without the title). It would seem odd to have someone with that amount of experience on the staff and not use them.Overall, the team being assembled looks decent enough. I was worried that both the coaches would be promoted from within, but the choice of Holt has put paid to that fear. And I do think Royle is a cute move.The other crucial appointment is that of chief scout, or head of recruitment. We need someone good there.[/quote]Based on today''s interview Royle is already acting as more than just a private consultant to Adams:“I’ve had talks with Neil and (chief executive) David McNally last

week and we were going through names,” said Royle. “You look at

Norwich’s season last year, they didn’t score anything like enough goals

– just 28 I think – but equally they had the third worst defensive

record in the league.“So

somewhere in between that, you’ve got to look at the whole balance

right the way through the side. Did they defend well enough in midfield?

Did they score enough goals from midfield?“We’ve

been right through the whole playing staff, have realistically drawn up

a list of who might be with Norwich next year, who hopefully will be

with Norwich next year and who won’t be with Norwich next year."But there will inevitably be one or two departures and there will

inevitably be two or three incoming players as well. We have to look

closely at the striking position because there just weren’t enough goals

in the team last year.”Keeping

key men will play a big part of that – and on last season’s evidence,

that includes Scotland winger Robert Snodgrass and goalkeeper John

Ruddy.“Yes,

we are all hoping he (Snodgrass) will be there next year,” added Royle.

“He had a great attitude, from what Neil tells me. They think very

highly of him there and right to the last whistle of the last game, he

was doing his best to win a game for Norwich. So he’s the type you want

around."Going through names for transfers in and out with the manager and the chief executive sounds like the actions of a director of football. A lot of use of the word "we" in there, suggesting Royle is very much in the loop.

" A lot of use of the word "we" in there, suggesting Royle is very much the loop"It also shows that Royle has been working with the club well before the announcement of his appointment. What it also demonstrates the way the club deals with player signings/departures. Not the nonsense that is often spouted by the not too bright about ''Hughton''s signings''.Many of the names being chewed over will be thise identified way back. It would have been the remit of the scouting network to line up players for both PL and Championship status.