Sign in to follow this  
Delboy

NO SIGNINGS REQUIRED

Do Norwich really need to make any new signings this summer?

Even if the likely departures of Ruddy, Snodgrass, RVW and Fer happen... are the size of the squad and the up and coming youth players not good enough to step up?!

I believe under Adams next season we are going to see a youthful exciting attacking team. I am not saying we will or should win the league/promotion - but I get the feeling it''s going to be fun watching Norwich this season, which it hasn''t been since the days of Lambert and Co.

Good luck Neil.

Depends if we want to try and get promoted, or if we''re happy watching the kids run around and scrapping for points.I reckon for a promotion push we need a leader on the pitch, another centre back, a ball playing midfielder and a striker who can hold the ball up and give an aerial threat.  Assuming the leader is one of those players, that''s basically a new "spine" for the team.

Oh yes we do OP. Sorry.

This coming season is our best chance of a quick return. We cannot afford to be complacent neither can we take a risk that the up-and-comings will come up with the goodies.

As someone has said, the Chumps is a tough league.

So midtable/bottom half is fine as long as we play the yoof?

No. We need to make a serious crack at getting back up 1st attempt.

Teams that dont add a few new faces always seem to stall. Bringing in a few new faces every year keeps things fresh, keeps players on their toes. Not signing players Im sure makes the existing players feel too comfortable, but also like theyre at a club with no ambition. So purely for that I think we do need some new faces, but I agree I think we need evolution rather than revolution

If we were to lose absolutely no players I would think that perhaps Delboy may have a point.I would agree that in some departments we are probably strong enough to lose a few players. Wingers is a good example.We currently have: E.Bennett (will be like a new signing next season), Redmond, Pilkington, Snodgrass, Hoolahan, Murphey''s and Surman. That''s 8 players. Perhaps the Murphey''s are a bit inexperienced but as back up and competing for first team places I could see them being more than useful.I think we could lose two of their number - say Pilkington and Hoolahan and be able to ''absorb'' those loses - at least in the short - medium term.Other departments are less certain. Midfield we have Johnson, Howson, Fer and Tettey. We''d absolutely have to replace whoever we lost in that department.Striking wise we only have Becchio, Hooper and RVW as our senior contracted strikers. We have Loza and Morris waiting in the wings and perhaps they would offer enough as fourth and fith choice strikers. To be honest I would rather see Morris loaned out for some experience first. Question marks remain over the three senior strikers we do have though. Does Becchio want to stay? Will RVW?Defence isn''t straight forward either. At left back we have Olsson and Garrido - fine if they both stay. Centre back we start to struggle - Bassong and R. Bennett - some are saying that Turner is not out of contract - but again, I have only seen evidence saying that he is so we shall have to see. Even if he is, that is only three centre backs. We are one short in my books. At right back we have Whittaker and Martin, unless Martin steps across to take up that centre half slot. Either way we are short at least one defender - Toffolo maybe?GK we have Ruddy, Bunn and Rudd - should be safe there if all of them stay.I always like to plan for the worse and hope for the best. I could see a good 5-8(two of which are already gone) players possibly leaving in the summer. And I would say we also need a striker and a defender just to get a more full compliment.My suggestions for possible leavers after the end of the season: Nash, Fox, Fer, RVW, Hoolahan, Bassong - with Ruddy, Snodgrass and Olsson possibly attracting interest. We already have Pilkington to maybe add to that list . . . . .Roller-coaster summer I think.

Slightly academic point chicken, but don''t think Surman will be being used as a winger. Not with the others we have here anyway. He isn''t an out and out winger, at best a wide midfielder. He''s equally as good in the middle really, especially since he isn''t one to regularly try and beat players which even someone like Lappin when he played LM tried to do a fair bit.

In fact this whole obsession with a Number 10, Surman could probably fill that role without too much trouble.

Oh I agree Ginger. I think Surman is more of an AM than wide wing player. As you say, he could play more centrally if needed I think. He has a cracking range of passing and despite being injured for a chunk of our first Prem season, still got some goals as well.He could well be an important team member yet. We shall just have to wait and see although I suspect he would be happy to stay if he is to have a chance to play games as it is only a sideways move on offer for him.

As it stands I''m very confident in saying we have comfortably the best squad in the division.

Ruddy is the best goalkeeper, no question there.

Ollson is comfortably a mid table prem player

Bennet stood out at this level last time

Bassong and Turner are both easily too good for this league

Martin was very close to the best right back in this league last time we were here and has only improved

Pilkington and Snodgrass are both in demand (for good reason) and when in form stood out as our best players

Redmond and E.Bennet are both quick and would give most fullbacks in this league nightmares again they''re both PL level players.

Fer is a decent CM when he''s concentrating but I don''t rate any of our other CM as anything other than lower Championship quality

Hooper and Becchio are proven 20+ goal a season strikers at this level

Most of the other players as subs/reserves/youth players would be the envy of pretty much every other team in this league.

So....

Do everything possible to keep this team together, new contracts, massive promotion bonuses whatever. Then sign quality! Not numbers, just 2 or 3 quick, forward thinking, technical players to give us a boost and I''d be shocked if we finished outside the top 2 provided nothing disastrous happens!

While no signings may be required now (debatable, especially with the loss of Elmander), there will be departures and those players will need replacing.

However there are some "frees", Elliott Bennett back is like a new player, Surman if he stays, Murphy is easily good enough to play regularly in this league from what he has shown, Loza has potential as a squad player if not a starter and Rudd would make a capable back-up.

Although I''m a big fan of some of our youth players and I think Morris, Gafaiti, Toffolo, McFadden and Jacob Murphy and McGeehan in particular, could do a job, they would probably benefit more from a loan, so would Rudd.

Mainly I want us to buy a few good quality players, not wholesale influx of mercenaries ala Cardiff seem to have started. Bring through a few youth, a few quality and experienced Championship Pro''s and keep the core of good players and we should be challenging.

Can you imagine the meltdown on here if we didn''t sign anyone?

Surman''s spell away from Norwich has improved him as a player beyond recognition. Well it has according to the posters on here.

I know we are now down a league on where we''ve been and that Surman''s strengths are in distribution but surely supporters can''t overlook the way he consistently abstains when it comes to contesting any 50/50 ball. A split second delay makes that ball a 20/80 ball, every time.

If there''s a chance to unload without a financial hit, I''d grab it.

I think Surman is a handy player to have around, a new (better) Simon Lappin who can play centre mid, left mid, and left back. If the wages are right just give him a three year deal, a good player at this level and a good squad player at the next level.

The squad certainly needs freshening up, plus it is certain we will see a few leave, thats what happens and we will be no exception. But...taking into account the base squad and the clubs financial situation it would be surprising if we dont have one of the strongest squads in the league and as a result an excellent chance of a bounce back.......and yes it will be tough..... 

[quote user="GrantsMoustache"]If Bassong is too good for this league Darth Catbeard then why does he now have three Premier League relegations on his CV at the age of 27.

[/quote]

Hoolahan has been involved in a relegation from The Championship, does that make League 1 his level? Plus he''s been injured most of this year according to an interview, he''s still a very decent defender.

Compare him to Leon Barnett who has been outstanding for every club he plays for in the second tier but always looked very shakey and slow at the top level. Bassong when fit and motivated (I''ll concede he isn''t the best mentally) was very assured at the top level for us, he''d be immense in this league!

However the point I was making is we currently have the best team so it''s up to us to mess it up and I''d give us maybe a 1% chance of keeping hold of a mercenary like Bassong so it''s irrelevant, just that we do need to replace whoever we lose with similar quality and we have to get this summer right

A team should look to improve every season, and whilst we may have good players in certain areas we should always look to get in better.

failure to strenghten or get bodies in is an option. however what if we suffer injuries and suspensions?

buy smart...

I still think, even if we could keep all of the squad that we have, and we won''t, we are still short in some areas.I''d say another CB and a striker to be sure.If you take all of the collective rumours this last week, my end of season prediction is blown out of the water.Nash and Fox already gone. Hooper, Fer, Pilkington and Hoolahan all wanting to go and rumours of interest in Ruddy and RVW to add to those. That''s before you even think of Snodgrass, Redmond and Olsson.