Sign in to follow this  
Cent

Hooper

I don''t think he is as bad as everyone is putting on. In 23 games, most as a second half sub he scored 8 goals. He''d of got plenty more if he and RVW switched their minuted around, maybe we''d even had stayed in the PL. Just my 2p.

This is also my first post here, hi!

Hi welcome to the board, I''m Miggins.

I have to agree with you. I thought he did what was asked of him. We bought him for what £5m, which isn''t really that much for a striker of his class. Our top scorer despite not playing the majority of the games, should have been used more (especially considering what we had in RVW and Salamander). Although I had hoped we would play RVW and Hooper together more than once to see if anything could come of it, Hooper showed that he could do a lot of things, but only occasionally (holding the ball up, smart movement, decent goals etc.). Having scored so much for Celtic and Scunthorpe, he''s a striker that we really need to keep imo.

I think we really need to keep a hold of him, could be a top scorer contender if we play him as much as possible but unfortunately I think another club will snap him up.

it depends how strong the club is. I would''ve thought there would be quite a few bids in for him so depends how much Adams wants him in the squad. He''ll score bags of goals though

[quote user="Cent"]I don''t think he is as bad as everyone is putting on. In 23 games, most as a second half sub he scored 8 goals. He''d of got plenty more if he and RVW switched their minuted around, maybe we''d even had stayed in the PL. Just my 2p.

This is also my first post here, hi![/quote]

Your first post is also filled with blatant factual inaccuracies that are mind-numbingly stupid. Hooper appeared in 32 EPL games, 24 were starts. where he scored 6 goals and half of them were PKs or deflections. That''s 3 goals from run of play in 32 games (one of which was gifted to him by Mignolet being stupid). He started 8 more games than any other striker. He played at least 720 more minutes than RVW, AT LEAST THAT AMOUNT.

Maybe next time actually try to state facts instead of made up garbage.

[quote user="jaemae2"][quote user="Cent"]I don''t think he is as bad as everyone is putting on. In 23 games, most as a second half sub he scored 8 goals. He''d of got plenty more if he and RVW switched their minuted around, maybe we''d even had stayed in the PL. Just my 2p.

This is also my first post here, hi![/quote]

Your first post is also filled with blatant factual inaccuracies that are mind-numbingly stupid. Hooper appeared in 32 EPL games, 22 were starts. where he scored 6 goals and half of them were PKs or deflections. That''s 3 goals from run of play in 32 games (one of which was gifted to him by Mignolet being stupid). He started 8 more games than any other striker. He played at least 720 more minutes than RVW, AT LEAST THAT AMOUNT.

Maybe next time actually try to state facts instead of made up garbage.[/quote]

[quote user="Cent"]I think we really need to keep a hold of him, could be a top scorer contender if we play him as much as possible but unfortunately I think another club will snap him up.[/quote]

He played more than any other striker and it isn''t remotely close and scored 3 goals from run of play. Yeah, he''s great.

[quote user="jaemae2"][quote user="Cent"]I think we really need to keep a hold of him, could be a top scorer contender if we play him as much as possible but unfortunately I think another club will snap him up.[/quote]

He played more than any other striker and it isn''t remotely close and scored 3 goals from run of play. Yeah, he''s great.[/quote]

Think you are the stupid one!

You fail to mention our lack of attacking football and lack of creating clear cut chances for all of our strikers let alone Hooper!

I''m guessing you''re next comment will be something to do with him missing ''loads of chances''?

Before you do and seeing as though you are always so ''factually correct'', please give us some examples of any of our strikers missing loads of one on ones, free headers, cut backs or tap ins?

Hooper would score goals for fun in the Championship - after all he has done so at this level before. Unfortunately, with interest from the PL we are unlikely to be able to hold on to him. I''ve not read of any PL interest in RvW, or Elmander or Becchio for that matter.

Ignore the pitch fork brigade, Cent. Collectively there''s not a single thing they like about the club. I also think Hooper will do a good job for us in the championship, providing he''s willing to stay.

If there''s truth in the rumour (until it''s news, let''s call it that) that Hooper wants away, it implies he feels he''s too good for the club and for the division. If that''s his attitude after the return we got from him last season, then let him go. From what I saw, he''s not that good.

I do miss the days of collective responsibility. Had we not signed Ricky, I think I''m right in saying Hooper would''ve been our most expensive striker. With that, his return last season was pitiful and I''d suggest Hooper''s ego needs to move on from Celtic and onto where his form has brought him now.

If Rhodes comes in instead of Hooper, i''d be delighted. If we lose Hooper and don''t replace adequately (as I fear we might) then i''ll be annoyed, especially if we get a poor fee for him.

When hooper joined he made a point of saying it was fuelled with the idea that he would have a chance to get in the England squad, which he didn''t

So I am not surprised at all if he did, he wants to play at the highest level and we aren''t

If he does hand in a request, fair enough and it proves how Adams has got one hell of a job on his hands.

Like RvW he seemed to lose confidence, the absolute essential for a striker, and I suspect that he missed as many chances. although he was generally better served. Certainly Adams did not feel able to use either striker greatly in five important matches.

We shall probably never know how good either of them really is, because we had a muddled manager, with little creativity going forward.

I think Adams realised that both strikers would never perform under the system that was being used. He also realised, after trying to change things slightly, that it would be pointless in trying to implement wholesale changes for those last few games and had to try to get the best out of both the system that was being used and the players available.

Next season is an all together different situation.

He now has an entire close season to move out of the club those he wants to move on (if possible) and to get a few players in to play the football that he wants to play.

It may well be that we have players who will greatly benefit from a new approach just as it may be that a few of the regulars of last season might struggle in a new system

It will certainly be an interesting next three months.

[quote user="smooth"]When hooper joined he made a point of saying it was fuelled with the idea that he would have a chance to get in the England squad, which he didn''t.[/quote]

Sadly that england ambition was simply misguided,  there was nothing to suggest he is anywhere near that level.

I hope he stays,  he was not impressive last season but in the champs he will score goals (and more than Rhodes too) so we should try to keep him.

I give little credence to anything from the Daily Fail, so will wait and see. Players will leave, but hopefully Adams can keep those he particularly wants. At least they know him.

There will be a new style to the way we play next season, thank goodness, the appointment of JR confirms this.

The question is will the management team be able to sell this to our strikers who have been pretty much ruined over the last season or so.

If they can and the players buy in then I will be delighted, equally however if there is the slightest desire to move on then we should let them go, Neil needs to start his new approach with a fully committed squad. If we lose strikers then there will be good replacements willing to join of that I have no doubt.

I do not feel that the manager will have such a problem selling a new system to the strikers as they must have been yearning for change for most of the season.

The difficulty will be selling a new style to the other players in important positions, especially the wide men. Wingers must start supplying better ammunition for the strikers and creating space for attacking play. Full backs must be willing to support more often.

gary wants to get out of the club as he does not wish to play championship football and has not maintained adequate levels of training all season, i understand the club have received a number of bids

Of all the players that featured regularly last season Hooper is the one who I thought looked least bothered about putting in a shift for the team - although RVW was giving him a run for his money at the end.

I think Hooper would score goals in the Champs but I think it''s pretty obvious he''s a fairly limited player and when you look at that alongside the lack of desire he showed (in my opinion) I wouldn''t be too fussed if he left. Infact I''d probably welcome it if we signed a Rhodes or a Deeney.

Hooper scored 19 Championship goals (17 of which were from open play) for a struggling Scunthorpe outfit the one season he has spent here, where he even appears to have missed a quarter of the games. Is there any evidence that he is incapable of repeating the feat at the same level this time around?

That said, if he really does want out then there is little point in keeping him if his attitude isn''t going to be right. All we have is rumour at this point, though. It''s up to Neil Adams to decide whether we are better off with him or without him.

canary mole wrote the following post at 03/06/2014 12:29 PM:

gary wants to get out of the club as he does not wish to play championship football and has not maintained adequate levels of training all season, i understand the club have received a number of bids

I would not be too disappointed if we received a good bid if he went.

It might be an eye opener for him if he stays as he might find with Gary Holt on board that his level of training could well be far more than just adequate!

I like Hooper, but if he wants to go then he must be helped on his way as there will be other players around we can sign and afford who will deliver a similar goal return in The Championship. Would love him to stay, but really thinking about it, I dont see him as a player absolutely key to our success next season.

[quote user="Yellow Wall"]canary mole wrote the following post at 03/06/2014 12:29 PM:

I would not be too disappointed if we received a good bid if he went.

It might be an eye opener for him if he stays as he might find with Gary Holt on board that his level of training could well be far more than just adequate![/quote]

I agree and would be happy if the club accepted a reasonable bid whilst bringing in a proven championship striker with dedication. i believe they are holding our for more interest in the transfer window after the World Cup. RE training i''m told that the management team and mcnally/delia/jones are unhappy with his work rate.

Looks like hooper is staying then. Good news, no transfer request.

(interview with neyul below)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hKQ_gaO094

[quote user="mrs miggins"]Looks like hooper is staying then. Good news, no transfer request.

(interview with neyul below)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hKQ_gaO094[/quote]

Read between the lines - Adams spoke to Hooper two days ago. Hooper speculation starts yesterday. Someone''s agent has been busy.

Very rare for player to hand in transfer request these days and they don''t really need to.

Think he''ll go, but for a decent price.