Sign in to follow this  
the pigman

A question of the price of a goal.

Is R V Ws 1 goal for City in one season the most costly goal ever scored for city at 8 million quid,indeed do you know of a dearer one,love to know.

[quote user="the pigman"]Is R V Ws 1 goal for City in one season the most costly goal ever scored for city at 8 million quid,indeed do you know of a dearer one,love to know.[/quote]

Still think people are a bit harsh on RVW.    His season was interrupted by 13 weeks injury, he fought hard to harry defenders, had some good efforts saved spectacularly, lacked a little confidence during a difficult season for the whole team.   Not one player really shone, apart from maybe Ollson.  Even our pots was not brilliant all the time.  

Impossible to quantify the value of one goal.   You win some you lose some in football - we had the money and gave it a good go by splashing out way more than we usually do.  Other clubs who spend that much on several players will not always be successful with every one of them.  If we sell him we might get 5m or 6m - I don''t see how we could let him go for less - then the price of that goal comes down quite considerably........

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="the pigman"]Is R V Ws 1 goal for City in one season the most costly goal ever scored for city at 8 million quid,indeed do you know of a dearer one,love to know.[/quote]

Still think people are a bit harsh on RVW.    His season was interrupted by 13 weeks injury, he fought hard to harry defenders, had some good efforts saved spectacularly, lacked a little confidence during a difficult season for the whole team.   Not one player really shone, apart from maybe Ollson.  Even our pots was not brilliant all the time.  

Impossible to quantify the value of one goal.   You win some you lose some in football - we had the money and gave it a good go by splashing out way more than we usually do.  Other clubs who spend that much on several players will not always be successful with every one of them.  If we sell him we might get 5m or 6m - I don''t see how we could let him go for less - then the price of that goal comes down quite considerably........

[/quote]In terms of us spending a lot of money on one player rather than "other clubs who spend that much on several players" it''s worth noting that Tim Sherwood and other pundits now feel that the sale of Gareth Bale for £100m by Spurs to be replaced by 5-6 players of a similar cumulative value was actually a negative move as they lost their match winner and replaced him with a number of more average performers.Certainly attempting to buy a high-value striker for that value was worthwhile as it was the final piece in the puzzle. It''s just unfortunate that whoever was selecting the puzzle piece didn''t check the box they were taking it out of at the time.Agree though the only real error RVW made was in March 2013 when he decided to come to Norwich and play for a team who''s tactics would never suit him.

[quote user="lappinitup"]When RVW''s gone we''ll miss his goals.

Then again, so did he............
[/quote]

Hahah!

Its been said before, but that headed goal was a high class strike from a spinning, mis-struck ball.   It was class.   Now when did RVW get the kind of quality cross like that the rest of the season?  I know it was a fluke cross (shot)  that turned into a perfect one, but doesn''t that just illustrate the problems we had all season?    Given the service he will score. He got service from Ollson at Fulham and turned it into an instinctive finish that most of the time would have meant a goal.  But he has spent most of the season scrapping for the ball, when what he needs is quality passes  and crosses.  You can blame Hughton or Snodgrass and Redmond, or the midfielders, but whatever the reason - and I don''t believe it was him not getting in position enough as some have said - he struggled in a struggling team.

People like to blame someone and he is the obvious target for some, but the problems were far deeper than RVW.   I am still to be convinced Snodgrass is a team player - or capable of getting his head up early and delivering pinpoint crosses - and Redmond needs to improve on this too - and we need midfielders who can pass the ball around well enough to engineer chances.  It seems to me as if the problems last season were over the whole team.   RVW has been made the scapegoat, but others share the responsibility too - manager and players.

[quote user="lake district canary"]People like to blame someone and he is the obvious target for some, but the problems were far deeper than RVW.   I am still to be convinced Snodgrass is a team player - or capable of getting his head up early and delivering pinpoint crosses - and Redmond needs to improve on this too - and we need midfielders who can pass the ball around well enough to engineer chances.  It seems to me as if the problems last season were over the whole team.   RVW has been made the scapegoat, but others share the responsibility too - manager and players.

[/quote]I''m getting worried LDC. This is not the first time recently,that I''ve found myself agreeing wholeheartedly with one of your posts !But, again you perhaps don''t go far enough. Norwich were not relegated and scored 28 goals in 38 games without a fundamental, deep seated reason. Player attitudes were one thing. But those from coaches management and the board were as significant, if not more so. I know you have some trouble with this phrase, but the whole of the Carrow Road edifice has smacked of being "easily satisfied" in recent months. Substandard performances have been excused. Poor results have been tolerated. Things have been allowed to drift to an unacceptable degree . Stuff has been allowed to happen without being questioned.Let''s hope that the shock of relegation will nip this in the bud and shake the club out of its smug lethargy?

RvW is not a bad player but I just think he lacks the fundamental physicality for English football. Maybe he will adjust but his main problem was that in build up play he was too easily knocked off the ball. You could see him regularly looking to the ref after a challenge that in the Premier League is allowed but would have got him a free kick in Portugal. Given a bit of space he showed some neat touches and linked quite well with other players but it was not enough.