Sign in to follow this  
barclay_boy111

It's all starting to get a bit silly

Someone like Walker probably would but walker did rather have a good start with stringer/Williams football legacy. Which of your three is Joe Royle like Ron??

[quote user="nutty nigel"]Don''t know what Royles position is but I don''t see how having someone with his qualities can be a negative. What are the negatives for Royle? And is Holt and Robson an upgrade on calderwood and Trollope or not?[/quote]

Anything is an impreovement on Dollop and deadwood, even JIM Royle would be better than those two

[quote user="Ron Manager"]Agreed, so Nutty just because Royle won POTS that makes his appointment OK?

I would love to say otherwise but with this board in charge there''s no way we will get back up straight away![/quote]What a load of nonsense. Before Paul Lambert launched us from League One to the Premier League, Joe Royle had already managed this many years before with Man City. He''s synonymous with attacking football and clearly a man our FA Youth Cup winning manager respects. That''s a great resource to have at Adams'' disposal. Lets face it folks, we''re going straight back up.

[quote user="Ron Manager"]For gods sake are we not allowed to voice our displeasure of this board without being labeled as Binner''s or trolls?

City I may well call you a binner for supporting these appointments and thinking that we will do well!I would hazard a guess that I have supported this team for a lot longer than you have and have seen some strange decisions by the club but really this is as bad as Gunn et all![/quote]I think not

[quote user="barclay_boy111"]Any way I''ll try make my personal veiw a little clearer.

I feel this is all being done purely to keep the cost down rather than really taking this opportunity to build an experienced management structure and taking this promotion charge seriously,

I''m not against these other roles being introduced as long as they are all lookin for the same style of football I''m just not impressed with who they have brought in.

Like i said Football should be treated like a business these days and decisions should always be made with your head and not your heart. All these appointments have been made with the boards heart.[/quote]Adding two new posts - football consultant and technical director - is an odd way of trying to keep costs down.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="barclay_boy111"]Any way I''ll try make my personal veiw a little clearer. I feel this is all being done purely to keep the cost down rather than really taking this opportunity to build an experienced management structure and taking this promotion charge seriously, I''m not against these other roles being introduced as long as they are all lookin for the same style of football I''m just not impressed with who they have brought in. Like i said Football should be treated like a business these days and decisions should always be made with your head and not your heart. All these appointments have been made with the boards heart.[/quote]

Adding two new posts - football consultant and technical director - is an odd way of trying to keep costs down.

[/quote]

I think the point might be Adams, salary against Hughtons. That''s a reasonable start to keep costs down Purple. In the grand scale of things I doubt Royal is on much either.

I''m afraid that it''s difficult to understand the logic of these appointments. This sort of rookie manager + ''consultant'' has been tried at several clubs in the UK before and rarely has it been successful  or ended prettily. Though , in fairness, this arrangement is used quite often to good effect in countries like Holland,Spain and Italy.One can only assume that Royle has been brought in for his experience....all the statements confirm that..... so, it begs the question  if the board felt that in our position, someone with experience was necessary, why the hell did they not just appoint an experienced manager in the first place, or at the very least an older assistant manager , as opposed to two people who''ve got less than 60 games management experience between them ?Will we ever actually learn what level of ''consulting''  Royle will do ? And how much he is being paid to do it, because, as Purple says, paying 3 people to do two men''s jobs is an odd way of keeping costs down.Presumably, like others in this thread who''ve questioned these appointments, I''ll be lambasted as being ''negative'' and a ''moaner''  by the usual suspects, but I don''t really care much what they think. Of course we''ll just have to wait and see how it pans out, but those of us who are sceptical can be forgiven when some of the board''s recent decision making is borne in mind.

Perhaps the difference here is that Royle was approached by Adams to come in and help so its not like the manager has had a director of football or senior man forced on him.

Adams would not have been my choice and in my view this new "football board" is mainly about the board putting a shield between themselves and future criticism for getting football matters wrong but now we have Adams as manager I find it hard to criticise us appointing Robson and Holt as coaches or having Royle as an experienced sounding board and guy with a few contacts. He''s already mentioned that he''s been enquiring about a few players for us so I suspect that might be an area where he is quite helpful given how respected he is in the game and its an area where Adams perhaps lacks contacts.

The main thing I am delighted about is we are rid of those two utter losers we had as coaches previously. A mate of a mate spoke with one of our first team players yesterday and he said he was "delighted" at the new management team that has been pulled together. I think they will get the feel good factor back at Colney and with that hopefully a bit of the spirit we used to have.

[quote user="Reggie Strayshun"]I''m afraid that it''s difficult to understand the logic of these appointments. This sort of rookie manager + ''consultant'' has been tried at several clubs in the UK before and rarely has it been successful  or ended prettily. Though , in fairness, this arrangement is used quite often to good effect in countries like Holland,Spain and Italy.

One can only assume that Royle has been brought in for his experience....all the statements confirm that..... so, it begs the question  if the board felt that in our position, someone with experience was necessary, why the hell did they not just appoint an experienced manager in the first place, or at the very least an older assistant manager , as opposed to two people who''ve got less than 60 games management experience between them ?

Will we ever actually learn what level of ''consulting''  Royle will do ? And how much he is being paid to do it, because, as Purple says, paying 3 people to do two men''s jobs is an odd way of keeping costs down.

Presumably, like others in this thread who''ve questioned these appointments, I''ll be lambasted as being ''negative'' and a ''moaner''  by the usual suspects, but I don''t really care much what they think. Of course we''ll just have to wait and see how it pans out, but those of us who are sceptical can be forgiven when some of the board''s recent decision making is borne in mind.
[/quote]

Can you name these ''several clubs''?

I think you''ve missed Purple point, he was debunking another posters argument that we were doing it on the cheap.

[quote user="Jim Smith"]Perhaps the difference here is that Royle was approached by Adams to come in and help so its not like the manager has had a director of football or senior man forced on him.

Adams would not have been my choice and in my view this new "football board" is mainly about the board putting a shield between themselves and future criticism for getting football matters wrong but now we have Adams as manager I find it hard to criticise us appointing Robson and Holt as coaches or having Royle as an experienced sounding board and guy with a few contacts. He''s already mentioned that he''s been enquiring about a few players for us so I suspect that might be an area where he is quite helpful given how respected he is in the game and its an area where Adams perhaps lacks contacts.

The main thing I am delighted about is we are rid of those two utter losers we had as coaches previously. A mate of a mate spoke with one of our first team players yesterday and he said he was "delighted" at the new management team that has been pulled together. I think they will get the feel good factor back at Colney and with that hopefully a bit of the spirit we used to have.[/quote]I don''t see that, Jim. The opposite is true. With McNally sitting on this football board and reporting to the main board it opens the directors up to criticism if the football goes bad. Much more than under the old system, where they could say that they didn''t interfere in purely on-field stuff and left that to the manager.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]Don''t know what Royles position is but I don''t see how having someone with his qualities can be a negative. What are the negatives for Royle? And is Holt and Robson an upgrade on calderwood and Trollope or not?[/quote]

NO

After voicing your disapproval of the appointments on about 30 threads I think we are getting the message Jas so how about you and your fellow doom and gloom merchants give it a rest and come back after 10-15 games into the new season and give it the Billy Big Bollox told you so routine or just maybe ( and hopefully [:P] ) you will be as rare as rocking horse 5hite. Your take on Joe Royle as a player,manager and status in the game just about sums it up for me.....ill informed and somewhat juvenile.

The new set up deserves to be given every chance so I suppose we are lucky and your ilk will be confining your comments from behind a laptop and not be part of the crowd at a game.

Rant over.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]Which ones like Gunn, which ones like crook and which like butterworth? I see it as more like stringer and Williams. What''s it about Joe Royle that reminds you of the others?[/quote]

Royle is not part of the comparison that was mentioned. He is a fourth name added in an attempt to compensate for Neil''s total lack of experience and to presumably becomes caretaker should it all go breasts up.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]Which ones like Gunn, which ones like crook and which like butterworth? I see it as more like stringer and Williams. What''s it about Joe Royle that reminds you of the others?[/quote]

Royle is not part of the comparison that was mentioned. He is a fourth name added in an attempt to compensate for Neil''s total lack of experience and to presumably becomes caretaker should it all go breasts up.