Sign in to follow this  
danielsroundabout

So Adams's appointment was an awful mistake then.

There is a strong body of supporters who defend the clubs board, even in the face of the most outrageous actions or inaction.

So it was with the "five games to go" appointment of Neil Adams. Then the even more unbelievable permanent appointment of him. After that, the forums were full of praise for what was suddenly a wonderfully astute move on the clubs part. The fact that his record was totally devoid of experience of any sort at this (or any other adult football) level became totally irrelevant.

Next we come to the appointment of his management team. Again, more of the same and then, what is being heralded as the genius of all appointments - Joe Royle. And the messageboards are alive with activity and jubilation. Why, because the same people who saw Adams as a great appointment are now saying that he will need somebody with him who has a bit of a clue about the job. In other words, he may not have a clue about what''s involved, what to expect and Joe Royle will be a handy guy to have around to take the reins in the event of failure.

We have to thank the directors for the whole Lambert thing and the straightening of the finances. However, all other appointments, Gunn, over-perseverance with Hughton and now this string of gems, beg the question was the Lambert choice a lucky fluke?

Any appointment has an element of fluke. And Lambert''s managerial record apart from us says indeed it was a fluke.

So if we are so poor at appointing managerial teams, we are, apart from perhaps Arsenal, in pretty good company with mistakes and flukes.

[quote user="danielsroundabout"]There is a strong body of supporters who defend the clubs board, even in the face of the most outrageous actions or inaction.

So it was with the "five games to go" appointment of Neil Adams. Then the even more unbelievable permanent appointment of him. After that, the forums were full of praise for what was suddenly a wonderfully astute move on the clubs part. The fact that his record was totally devoid of experience of any sort at this (or any other adult football) level became totally irrelevant.

Next we come to the appointment of his management team. Again, more of the same and then, what is being heralded as the genius of all appointments - Joe Royle. And the messageboards are alive with activity and jubilation. Why, because the same people who saw Adams as a great appointment are now saying that he will need somebody with him who has a bit of a clue about the job. In other words, he may not have a clue about what''s involved, what to expect and Joe Royle will be a handy guy to have around to take the reins in the event of failure.

We have to thank the directors for the whole Lambert thing and the straightening of the finances. However, all other appointments, Gunn, over-perseverance with Hughton and now this string of gems, beg the question was the Lambert choice a lucky fluke?[/quote]\

I think the Lambert appointment did have an element of fortune to it. Would we have appointed him if he didn''t drub us 7-0? Probably not. When push comes to shove any appointment has an element of chance to it. The key thing is that this time round they''ve recruited according to the style of football they want Norwich to play as opposed to recruiting a manager who then turns around the personnel to the way he wants to play. I think that''s the big lesson that this restructuring is aiming to remedy.

Yes what they are saying now is we have appointed a manager who has no idea so he needs Joe the binner Royle to hold his hand for him .So now we have a manager whos experience is about the same as most PE teachers and his advisor who has been out of the game for 5 years .Delia has taken control of appointments once more and boy doesnt it shine through , not to worry though the usual seals who told us Hughton would keep us up will clap along willingly as usual its all they know .

[quote user="Cheap Cheap Canaries"]Delia has taken control of appointments once more and boy doesnt it shine through[/quote]You''re not very good at this trolling lark are you?

Surely the club have put a new structure in place, with new personnel, and now we need to get behind it and SUPPORT our club? Some of those moaning seem ok be getting an awful lot,of pleasure out of doing so?

I like the thinking behind the new ''leadership team'' and with a rookie manager in charge it surely makes great sense it surround him with such a team to allow him to focus on the key bit of the job or to go to for advice (surely Royle''s role as an experienced, trusted consultant?)

I wish them all luck. If nothing else it appears to me that the board are putting plenty of support structure around Neil, which makes me think that this isn''t a short term appointment - even if the first 10 games don''t go according to plan?

Ues killiecanary - very true, and also there were concerns from the Board that Chris Hughton, lets not forget a "more experienced" manager, had too much power in the transfer.This was something they wanted to dilute, but only in the sense that they wanted to offer more support to whoever the new manager was, to ensure the transfer mistakes of last season ewre not repeated.

Seems to me that the appointment of Joe Royle just gives Neil Adams the knowledge and support that he needs. Yes he''s a novice when it comes to be a manager of a senior professional team but it''s quite clear he has talent, winning the youth cup shouldn''t be taken lightly.

Surely anyone in a senior position of any organisation needs support from someone who has previously done it with relative success.

The other insight he gets from Royle is the transfer market and a respected name to attract players. My biggest concern was how he was going to attract players, seems to me from what Royle said recently, he has a list already.

Isn''t that what a football consultant does, guides and support?

Proof for me will be who we get in!!

[quote user="Rich T The Biscuit"]Seems to me that the appointment of Joe Royle just gives Neil Adams the knowledge and support that he needs. Yes he''s a novice when it comes to be a manager of a senior professional team but it''s quite clear he has talent, winning the youth cup shouldn''t be taken lightly.

Surely anyone in a senior position of any organisation needs support from someone who has previously done it with relative success.

The other insight he gets from Royle is the transfer market and a respected name to attract players. My biggest concern was how he was going to attract players, seems to me from what Royle said recently, he has a list already.

Isn''t that what a football consultant does, guides and support?

Proof for me will be who we get in!![/quote]

I fully understand that whoever is in the senior position will need support from those around him. My point is that you don''t put a novice in the main role, it is not a position where you serve your apprenticeship.

Likewise, it should not be a position where selection of your support staff are dictated by the massive voids in your own c.v.

For those who see my opinions as negative and unsupportive, I have to say that come August I shall only want success for the set-up but this stage I feel I am one of twenty-two thousand who has been short-changed and badly let down by McNally & Co.

Jeez, what a bundle of fun you seem to be DanielsRoundabout!

You are basing your thoughts on what exactly? Ignorance and fear I''d politely say. Any success we''ve created you suggest may be nothing more than mere ''fluke''!

I don''t know NA personally, but I do know a few key people who do. Including those actively involved with him and the players during the 3-4 years prior to winning the Youth FA Cup. That certainly wasn''t a fluke! Actually maybe you''re so tight giving others deserved praise you think beating Chelsea over two legs was indeed a fluke?! Either way, your opinion is valid of course.

Ahead of a ball being kicked in anger, I''m not sure what what you consider this ''awful mistake'' of appointing a management team of proven winners could be?

[quote user="Norfolk Mustard"]

You are basing your thoughts on what exactly? Ignorance and fear I''d politely say. Any success we''ve created you suggest may be nothing more than mere ''fluke''!

I don''t know NA personally, but I do know a few key people who do. Including those actively involved with him and the players during the 3-4 years prior to winning the Youth FA Cup. That certainly wasn''t a fluke! Actually maybe you''re so tight giving others deserved praise you think beating Chelsea over two legs was indeed a fluke?! Either way, your opinion is valid of course.

Ahead of a ball being kicked in anger, I''m not sure what what you consider this ''awful mistake'' of appointing a management team of proven winners could be?

[/quote]It''s an awful appointment because ADAMS DOESNT HAVE EXPERIENCE.Is that so difficult to comprehend? It''s just little old Narwich again but people are happy with it.

Neither did MacKay  when he took his first job, or most other manager eitherSadly we had all this sh ite from you whingers in the summer of 2011 when the board was cluttered with the terminally dim telling us that our squad didn''t have any Premier League experience, something that mattered for far call come the following MayAdams has done an exceptional job with the youth squadFootball is football, you can either manager or you cannot. He has proved he can, as has Gary Holt and Joe Royle.The only one who doesn''t appear to be able to manage is you, in the way of not being able to manage to put out anything that suggests you have a brain

[quote user="Norfolk Mustard"]

[/quote]Well, NM, I for one, see where Danielsroundabout and RVW4YC are both coming from, and I''m largely in agreement with them.I don''t know why some of the ''easily satisfied'' brigade on here have such a problem with at least understanding the concerns of the sizeable group of us, as to why , in it''s current position, the club has felt fit to appoint a management team with less than 60 matches experience, backed up by a 65 year old ''consultant'' who''s been out of the game for several years.The people who see this move as positive may well be proven to be correct. It all could work out swimmingly well, and in a couple of years time we might be talking about Adams in the same reverent tones as we do(did) about Paul Lambert. As a NCFC fan, I truly hope we are. But, just because we are questioning the logic of this appointment and, yes, showing some signs of scepticism over it does not mean we are wrong, or merit the sarcastic ''bundle of fun'' jibe rather stupidly offered earlier.We are entitled to our opinion, as are the rest of you. We''ll see before long how this all pans out.

[quote user="Reggie Strayshun"][quote user="Norfolk Mustard"]

[/quote]Well, NM, I for one, see where Danielsroundabout and RVW4YC are both coming from, and I''m largely in agreement with them.I don''t know why some of the ''easily satisfied'' brigade on here have such a problem with at least understanding the concerns of the sizeable group of us, as to why , in it''s current position, the club has felt fit to appoint a management team with less than 60 matches experience, backed up by a 65 year old ''consultant'' who''s been out of the game for several years.The people who see this move as positive may well be proven to be correct. It all could work out swimmingly well, and in a couple of years time we might be talking about Adams in the same reverent tones as we do(did) about Paul Lambert. As a NCFC fan, I truly hope we are. But, just because we are questioning the logic of this appointment and, yes, showing some signs of scepticism over it does not mean we are wrong, or merit the sarcastic ''bundle of fun'' jibe rather stupidly offered earlier.We are entitled to our opinion, as are the rest of you. We''ll see before long how this all pans out.[/quote]I wasn''t going to bother trying to pin you down again, Reggie, since it was obvious you were ducking the question. But since you have kept on sniping today on a different thread I will try one more time and then give up.In the wake of Royle''s arrival you said if the club was worried about Adams'' lack of experience then why hadn''t they simply chosen a manager with some years (presumably of reasonable success, since you would hardly want failures, would you?) in the Championship."So, if that''s the case, why did we not last week just appoint a manager

with a few seasons of experience at this level in the first place?"
So who? Two names will do as possibles. Two managers who have been successful over time in the Championship and are available - ie out of work or who would regard us as a definite step up.

Every manager that has ever managed has had to start somewhere. It is most refreshing that NCFC have given an opportunity to a young coach rather than go down the tired route of the ''same oi'', same ol'' '' that no more guarantees success.

If it was ever going to be a choice between the untried Adams and the woefully over-rated Hughton to lead us in the Championship, then Adams would win my vote every time.

His knowledge of the youth players and his strong attachment to NCFC, gives Adams a deserved chance to prove himself.

NOTHING could be worse than the past two seasons. Hughton can single-handedly be charged with draining the identity from NCFC and costing the club many many millions of pounds.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Reggie Strayshun"][quote user="Norfolk Mustard"]

[/quote]Well, NM, I for one, see where Danielsroundabout and RVW4YC are both coming from, and I''m largely in agreement with them.I don''t know why some of the ''easily satisfied'' brigade on here have such a problem with at least understanding the concerns of the sizeable group of us, as to why , in it''s current position, the club has felt fit to appoint a management team with less than 60 matches experience, backed up by a 65 year old ''consultant'' who''s been out of the game for several years.The people who see this move as positive may well be proven to be correct. It all could work out swimmingly well, and in a couple of years time we might be talking about Adams in the same reverent tones as we do(did) about Paul Lambert. As a NCFC fan, I truly hope we are. But, just because we are questioning the logic of this appointment and, yes, showing some signs of scepticism over it does not mean we are wrong, or merit the sarcastic ''bundle of fun'' jibe rather stupidly offered earlier.We are entitled to our opinion, as are the rest of you. We''ll see before long how this all pans out.[/quote]I wasn''t going to bother trying to pin you down again, Reggie, since it was obvious you were ducking the question. But since you have kept on sniping today on a different thread I will try one more time and then give up.In the wake of Royle''s arrival you said if the club was worried about Adams'' lack of experience then why hadn''t they simply chosen a manager with some years (presumably of reasonable success, since you would hardly want failures, would you?) in the Championship."So, if that''s the case, why did we not last week just appoint a manager

So who? Two names will do as possibles. Two managers who have been successful over time in the Championship and are available - ie out of work or who would regard us as a definite step up.
[/quote]I''m not ''ducking'' anything, but there''s little point in doing it, Purple. For two reasons.Firstly, as I''ve said before, we are not privy to the full list of applicants, so how do I know what choice the board would have had ?Secondly, and perhaps more pertinently to this messageboard, even if I did come up with a name , you''d merely rubbish/poo poo it, and find all sorts of reasons why they''d be a worse appointment than what we have. The proof of that is that in your posting above you are already using  disrespectful language such as ''ducking'' and ''sniping''.I came up with an admittedly facetious 3 suggestions yesterday, and several people did not understand what I was doing and got all uppity about them. So, if it''s all the same to you , I''ll not waste my, and everybody else''s time again.So yes, I do suggest you give up on this one, because you are certainly heading up a blind alley with it.

[quote user="Reggie Strayshun"][quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Reggie Strayshun"][quote user="Norfolk Mustard"]

[/quote]I''m not ''ducking'' anything, but there''s little point in doing it, Purple. For two reasons.Firstly, as I''ve said before, we are not privy to the full list of applicants, so how do I know what choice the board would have had ?Secondly, and perhaps more pertinently to this messageboard, even if I did come up with a name , you''d merely rubbish/poo poo it, and find all sorts of reasons why they''d be a worse appointment than what we have. The proof of that is that in your posting above you are already using  disrespectful language such as ''ducking'' and ''sniping''.I came up with an admittedly facetious 3 suggestions yesterday, and several people did not understand what I was doing and got all uppity about them. So, if it''s all the same to you , I''ll not waste my, and everybody else''s time again.So yes, I do suggest you give up on this one, because you are certainly heading up a blind alley with it.[/quote]Dear me. Did I really use such foul language as "ducking" and "sniping"? That is me banned for life. Reggie, post how you like. I wouldn''t suggest you change. But trying, as above, to evade my simple question with little word games and non-sequitur arguments was probably not the way to go. My loss, no doubt.

Didn''t say your language was ''foul'', Purple. Just disrespectful. Not the same thing.Also, not clear as to the word games and non sequitur arguments allegedly in use here. I''ve been consistent all the way through this.Just to repeat (for the final time) . I''m not evading the question. Because , and I''m happy to admit it, I am not in full posession of the facts that would enable me to give you an accurate answer .

[quote user="Reggie Strayshun"]Didn''t say your language was ''foul'', Purple. Just disrespectful. Not the same thing.Also, not clear as to the word games and non sequitur arguments allegedly in use here. I''ve been consistent all the way through this.Just to repeat (for the final time) . I''m not evading the question. Because , and I''m happy to admit it, I am not in full posession of the facts that would enable me to give you an accurate answer .[/quote]

Reggie, what do you actually think is wrong with appointing Adams and having a highly experienced and successful retired manager offering advice when he wants it?

[quote user="littleyellowbirdie"][quote user="Reggie Strayshun"]Didn''t say your language was ''foul'', Purple. Just disrespectful. Not the same thing.Also, not clear as to the word games and non sequitur arguments allegedly in use here. I''ve been consistent all the way through this.Just to repeat (for the final time) . I''m not evading the question. Because , and I''m happy to admit it, I am not in full posession of the facts that would enable me to give you an accurate answer .[/quote]

Reggie, what do you actually think is wrong with appointing Adams and having a highly experienced and successful retired manager offering advice when he wants it?[/quote]Maybe it''s my fault, LYB, and I''m not explaining it terribly well, but that comment proves that you really do not understand the point I''m making.look at it this way: It''s a bit like when you are thinking of having fish for dinner, and you have the chance of either plaice or Dover sole. You are brought the plaice, but say you''d have preferred the sole. Then the waiter asks ''what''s wrong with the plaice ?''. So you tell him, nothing wrong with it...it''s just I''d have preferred the sole.So, nothing intrinsically wrong with Adams etc at all. But, speaking personally, I''d have much preferred a more experienced candidate. (and before you ask...no we are not going to go through all that silly ''name names'' like we did yesterday.

Who is the most successful manager in the world at the moment? Jose Mourinho?

Never even played the game...

Reggie is it not then a bit disrespectful to say ''easily satisfied brigade''? So far there has been no chance to review the management team''s performance, either in the market or on the pitch, so there is nothing concrete to be satisfied or dissatisfied about. Our new combination of managerial and backroom talent has never been tested, so in the meantime, we can choose to be negative, neutral or upbeat.

Is an excited or optimistic football fan really to be berated for that?

On the flipside, why is OK to go on and on about the downsides (both the accepted and fanciful) of the appointments? By all means people can record their displeasure and scepticism, as you have done. But leave it at that. Most of the anti-NA posters are repetitively attacking and abusing the club. It''s tiresome and pointless

[quote user="GenerationA47"]

Reggie is it not then a bit disrespectful to say ''easily satisfied brigade''? So far there has been no chance to review the management team''s performance, either in the market or on the pitch, so there is nothing concrete to be satisfied or dissatisfied about. Our new combination of managerial and backroom talent has never been tested, so in the meantime, we can choose to be negative, neutral or upbeat.

Is an excited or optimistic football fan really to be berated for that?

On the flipside, why is OK to go on and on about the downsides (both the accepted and fanciful) of the appointments? By all means people can record their displeasure and scepticism, as you have done. But leave it at that. Most of the anti-NA posters are repetitively attacking and abusing the club. It''s tiresome and pointless

[/quote]The only problem I have with your posting  above GA47 is talking of the'' anti NA people constantly attacking and abusing the club'' . Where have I done any of those things ? I respect NA for his achievements with the U18s, his articulacy, and honesty . I am a NCFC supporter , season ticket holder of 35 yrs. But just a little sceptical of the way the club has been run recently, and the thinking behind Adams''s appointment. In what way is that being anti NA, attacking or abusing ? If other people start a new thread discussing things, am I not allowed to contribute to it and voice my concerns again ?As regards the use of the phrase ''easy satisfied'', then qed it is not possible to rate people''s views on the new management team''s performance. I''m happy to clarify that, of course. I''m merely going on the basis of last season, when I personally found a number of people''s readiness to excuse shoddy performances a little hard to stomach.

There aren''t many on here had a season ticket for 35 years Reggie. I remember having one back in the 60s but gave it up to go in the Barclay with my mates. I reckon you belong to a very exclusive club.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]There aren''t many on here had a season ticket for 35 years Reggie. I remember having one back in the 60s but gave it up to go in the Barclay with my mates. I reckon you belong to a very exclusive club.[/quote]

There must be loads of people on here, who like me are in their late 50''s 60''s, Nigel who''ve had a season ticket for 35 years (and more). Actually, I''m fibbing a bit. I first purchased in 1980 just before Bond was replaced by Brown, so it''s 34 yrs to be exact.