Sign in to follow this  
Bill

The gap grows ever wide

With City due to receive £23m in parachute payments our impoverished neighbours are left rummaging amongst the bins"looking at getting in the best in free transfers

and Bosmans" 

“There might be a s wap deal to be done somewhere.
     Mick McCarthy (today)City are already running a top class Category 1 acadamy whilst the poor old paupers are hoping thtat a few jumble sales and raffles might fund their academy. Even with the dire state of things at poorman road there have been virtually no youngsters good enough to step up , and ironically their brightest prospect is a young lad released by their wealthy neighboursSeason ticket sales will show City having an incredible 10,000 more ticket holders, whilst next season''s income is likely to be a staggering FOUR TIMES that of the paupers - and we are yet to see how much more debt Evans has lumped upon them as the accounts for last year are yet to be released.Any wonder brother bin has been a rare bird in these parts in recent years. "You''ll never be us" was the oft heard cry from these pitchfork waving rustics. All too true.There is no way on this earth Norwich City would allow themselves to sink so lowRIPswich

All good to hear.. but let''s not get too cocky - 2 or 3 seasons in the Championship and that gap will be very close indeed. We''ll still be better though obviously :p I mean we got more fans than them when we were in League 1!

The full McCarthy interview........"Boss Mick McCarthy says

recruiting the right players over the summer is crucial if the Blues are

to push on into the top six next season. Town ended 2013/14 in ninth,

four points off the play-off places.“To do that, recruitment is vital for us,” McCarthy

told the club site. “We won’t be rushing into anything and signing

players straight away.“That doesn’t happen because clubs don’t want to

pay out for players early in the summer when the season doesn’t start

until August. We are beavering away, looking at getting in the

best in free transfers and Bosmans. There are good players about in that

area but we won’t be the only club looking at that.“There might be a swap deal to be done somewhere.

We have been very proactive and calculating in what we are doing, which

is trying to improve on the squad.”

He forgets to mention that their two best players (Cresswell and McGoldrick) are likely to be sold So how does that "improve the squad"?

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

Will take a long while to make up 80m!

[/quote]And another 2 or 3 years will see that figure way over £100mEven the binners being just outside the playoffs made minimal impact on their gates, bar a cheap ticket offer. The income will not change either given that we will still be getting £8m in parachute payments four years from here.As to the academy that takes years to show results, with many of the lads now coming through being a product of that years of development - or being scouted and brought here by an extensive youth scouting system. The paupers have neither, nor the decent coaches to do much with what they do have.Finally it is not about being cocky, but of recognition of where both clubs are and why. Many fans on both sides of the border are not aware of the huge gap between the two clubs. Nor that by sticking to honest principles City have won through. And in that there is nothing wrong with a bit of well deserved pride.

Gloating aside and however you dress things up, Evans does in effect have a damn sight more money than our board, it just depends on how he want s to fund his binners.

And as much as I dislike McCarthy, he is a canny manager who has a knack of getting clubs promoted.

It does all look good for now, but we have a long summer ahead and our players have to deal with relegation to a tough league, that with clubs and agents unsettling our so called better players it might not all be plane sailing.

I will hold my judgement on just how big the gap is between us until we see it on the pitch, as much as we like to think Evans is amassing huge debts on the binners and that is the case, he does have some financial muscle too.

We haven’t even heard yet who our list of targets are, it might be more loan and youth players than some on here would like!

Time will tell, but I don’t like to gloat about finances, it’s on the pitch and where we finish come May 2015, that’s when I will gloat.

I still think City have the fairest board in the leagues, they do things in the right way, but the binners have a wealthy owner who can afford to underwrite the binners debt!

[quote user="Indy"]the binners have a wealthy owner who can afford to underwrite the binners debt![/quote]The wealthy don''t shop in Poundland......"We are beavering away, looking at getting in the

best in free transfers and Bosmans."You sound as naive as scum fans when it comes to Evans. Wealthy or not, he isn''t spending money on his football team. Stating facts is not gloating.

Crystal Palace were in administration within the last five years and look where they are.

It doesn''t pay to gloat. One shrewd season and you can be back in the Prem, and even one season can clear your debts completely.

underwrite the debt !ye gods !it is him who has been piling on the debts in the way of interest, him that bought their £25m debt for £6m yet still lumped the full amount on them and has been charging them interest on that amountand him who pocketed the money from the sale of Walters and Wickham and ''nicked'' their training groundif there is this financial clout then where has it been all these years ?why are they now reliant on freebies ?no one has talked of gloating ... only you - a sleight of hand that allows you to knock something down that was never there, rather than respond to the pointsmy OP was based on pointing out the huge gap between the clubs and the fact that that will not change for some considerable while, which will impact on the next few seasons and beyond irresctive of where we are come May

I get what you''re all at and I''m not naive, just stating it as it is, Evans might be piling on the debt to the binners, but he can afford to do so, can our owners afford to pile on 100 million onto city? Not that they would but my point is he is still shoring them up and has the money to do so.

Yes he might be a mercinary and will bleed them dry come any Premiership return, but to look at it long term, should McCarthy get them up it''s in Evan''s interst to spend and keep them up to milk maximu return, or what''s the point of keep carrying on? He''s not doing it as some think as a taxable write off! although that does have benefits.

I just think it''s too easy for us to laugh at things none of us know for sure, unless your Mr Evans''s best mate and know his plans to kill off the binners, then great :-)

I don''t see any point in worrying about finances as we don''t know our budget, who we are going to buy, itcould be that we too are looking at the same free players as linked to that young French defender his week!

[quote user="MancCanary"]All good to hear.. but let''s not get too cocky - 2 or 3 seasons in the Championship and that gap will be very close indeed. We''ll still be better though obviously :p I mean we got more fans than them when we were in League 1![/quote]

I agree its bad karma to have shadenfreude over our rivals.

Lets get back in the premier league before we get too smug

[quote user="Indy"]I get what you''re all at and I''m not naive, just stating it as it is, Evans might be piling on the debt to the binners, but he can afford to do so, can our owners afford to pile on 100 million onto city? Not that they would but my point is he is still shoring them up and has the money to do so.

Yes he might be a mercinary and will bleed them dry come any Premiership return, but to look at it long term, should McCarthy get them up it''s in Evan''s interst to spend and keep them up to milk maximu return, or what''s the point of keep carrying on? He''s not doing it as some think as a taxable write off! although that does have benefits.

I just think it''s too easy for us to laugh at things none of us know for sure, unless your Mr Evans''s best mate and know his plans to kill off the binners, then great :-)

I don''t see any point in worrying about finances as we don''t know our budget, who we are going to buy, itcould be that we too are looking at the same free players as linked to that young French defender his week![/quote]

Our friend City 1st unfortunately only sees things in black and white  and won''t hear a good word said about our neighbours, but the scenario you suggest is more likely to be correct - as long as Evans keeps going with the finance they don''t have a problem - if he has financial troubles himself then they could go under - if he leaves for any reason they are in the sh*t - but as it stands, if they carry on and manage to make it to the premiership, his ego will be vindicated and he will make some of his money back - if he wants to.  I suspect though that he isn''t bothered about the money and would just carry on spending - actually if Ipswich are to survive as a club he has to keep spending....

City 1st is right about one thing though - take Evans away and Ipswich have nothing. 

As far as we are concerned though, if we can, we will want to get players in who are free agents too, as well as having the money to buy players.   But the difference is we are in a much better position to offer better working conditions in the championship than almost any other club there - and a positive new management team. The new season is going to be a positive one from all fronts, just like it was at the start of  the 2009 season......oh

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Indy"]I get what you''re all at and I''m not naive, just stating it as it is, Evans might be piling on the debt to the binners, but he can afford to do so, can our owners afford to pile on 100 million onto city? Not that they would but my point is he is still shoring them up and has the money to do so.

I don''t see any point in worrying about finances as we don''t know our budget, who we are going to buy, itcould be that we too are looking at the same free players as linked to that young French defender his week![/quote]

Our friend City 1st unfortunately only sees things in black and white  and won''t hear a good word said about our neighbours, but the scenario you suggest is more likely to be correct - as long as Evans keeps going with the finance they don''t have a problem - if he has financial troubles himself then they could go under - if he leaves for any reason they are in the sh*t - but as it stands, if they carry on and manage to make it to the premiership, his ego will be vindicated and he will make some of his money back - if he wants to.  I suspect though that he isn''t bothered about the money and would just carry on spending - actually if Ipswich are to survive as a club he has to keep spending....

City 1st is right about one thing though - take Evans away and Ipswich have nothing. 

As far as we are concerned though, if we can, we will want to get players in who are free agents too, as well as having the money to buy players.   But the difference is we are in a much better position to offer better working conditions in the championship than almost any other club there - and a positive new management team. The new season is going to be a positive one from all fronts, just like it was at the start of  the 2009 season......oh

[/quote]

On papre only though LDC, if the board don''t want to spend because we have a big wage budget and force Adams to go with a limited budget until we can offload and make some money, than we are in the same player pool as our binners friends.

I happen to think we have a far better squad of players even with the likelyhood of a few high profile exits and yes we fill our ground and have a sound footing, that is true. Long amy it continue.

[quote user="Indy"]a limited budget until we can offload and make some money, than we are in the same player pool as our binners friends.[/quote]  Unbelievable! [:S]Two players turned the binners down last summer and joined (wait for it) the mighty YEOVIL instead. And you think we are fishing in the same pool?And they''re not our friends. [:@]

City 1st really does have an unhealthy obsession with us doesn''t he!I just thought I''d put the record straight:The debt is owned by Marcus Evans and him only. Ipswich Town is the only loss-making part of the Marcus Evans Group, so as a previous poster has said, ITFC will only encounter issues if the MEG hit troubled water. This is unlikely for the forseeable future however, as Marcus Evans'' net worth is said to have increased further according to the latest Daily Mail ''richest men in England'' list.Evans paid £8m to take on our £32m debt back in 2009 and David Sheepshanks ensured that part of the agreement of Evans buying the club was that he could only sell on the initial £32m debt he paid back in 2009... NOT a penny more... which means everything from -32m to -80m+ would have to be written off should Evans wish to sell up.Evans made an £800m bid for the Trinity Mirror newspaper group 12 months before acquiring ITFC - if that''s the actions of a man with shallow pockets I''m a Dutchman.With regards to why Evans is not spending as much as he did under Magilton/Keane era, the answer is he simply can''t. We''re one of the few clubs to strictly adhere to Financial Fair Play which should be lauded, particularly if we''re ever going to create a fairer financial playing field in our top two leagues.Additionally, we should be hearing back regarding our application for Category One academy status by the end of this month, and all things considered the noises coming out of Playford Road are very hopeful. Not quite as bleak as City 1st makes out - I''m afraid we''ll still be around for a while yet!

I''d also add that shopping in the bargain basement has done us very little harm in the last 12-18 months under Mick McCarthy, who is one of the division''s shrewdest operators.

[quote user="portman_king"]Evans paid £8m to take on our £32m debt back in 2009 and David Sheepshanks ensured that part of the agreement of Evans buying the club was that he could only sell on the initial £32m debt he paid back in 2009... NOT a penny more... which means everything from -32m to -80m+ would have to be written off should Evans wish to sell up.[/quote]Absolute tosh. Evans owns the club and if he decides to sell he (and only he) will decide on the price. Sheepshanks wasn''t in a position to negotiate any assurances back then because he was faced with another administration if the deal didn''t go through. Evans may have wittered something to keep the fans happy but that is all. If you sell ANYTHING, you have no say in what the new owner sells it on for at a later date.

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="portman_king"]Evans paid £8m to take on our £32m debt back in 2009 and David Sheepshanks ensured that part of the agreement of Evans buying the club was that he could only sell on the initial £32m debt he paid back in 2009... NOT a penny more... which means everything from -32m to -80m+ would have to be written off should Evans wish to sell up.[/quote]Absolute tosh. Evans owns the club and if he decides to sell he (and only he) will decide on the price. Sheepshanks wasn''t in a position to negotiate any assurances back then because he was faced with another administration if the deal didn''t go through. Evans may have wittered something to keep the fans happy but that is all. If you sell ANYTHING, you have no say in what the new owner sells it on for at a later date. [/quote]Not tosh at all - TWTD owner, Phil Ham is adamant there''s an agreement in place which means Evans can only sell on the initial debt.

[quote user="portman king"]City 1st really does have an unhealthy obsession with us doesn''t he![/quote]

Hate to agree with a binner, but yes, yes he does.

Personally speaking I hadn''t given you a second thought until recently.[:D]

[quote user="portman_king"]Not tosh at all - TWTD owner, Phil Ham is adamant there''s an agreement in place which means Evans can only sell on the initial debt.[/quote]Ok then let''s try again. Your words......."he could only sell on the initial £32m debt he paid back in 2009... NOT a

penny more... which means everything from -32m to -80m+ would have to

be written off should Evans wish to sell up."
What about the 87% of ordinary shares he owns.....Are you suggesting he has to give those away?And the preferential shares he paid £8.1m for with the agreement he would earn 7% from (£564,000 pa), what was the point of agreeing to that if he couldn''t collect at a later date?And then there''s the training ground. If you are saying it still belongs to the club, why are you paying £40,000 per year rent on it?Of course he''s rich, we know he''s rich, but he didn''t get rich by bailing out basket case football clubs.

The irony of the binman suggesting City 1st. has an unhealthy interest in Shanty Town F.C. when he is continually intruding upon our site in the first place.

I suspect he doesn''t like it when faced with the absolute truth. Delusion is as delusion needs to be. As for this sell-on nonsense. That club is run by a team of accountants nowadays and not a charity aimed at benefitting ITFC. 

I do not think I have ever heard of a more implausible and head in the sand dismissal of an £80m business debt, which is increasing, ever before. 

Evans stopped putting money into that lost cause before FFP came in. That was the excuse for cutting off the supply or rather reversing it by pocketing the training ground money. 

The optimism emanating from the boys in blue, or at least from TWTD, equates to the fact  that a top-six place at least is a given for them in the coming season.

For the first time he will be under some pressure there then and this could go two ways, but more likely one. I predict that by this time next year there will be a managerial vacancy at the Portaloo. 

[quote user="keelansgrandad"]Crystal Palace were in administration within the last five years and look where they are.

It doesn''t pay to gloat. One shrewd season and you can be back in the Prem, and even one season can clear your debts completely.[/quote]yes, I can see the paupers paying off around £100m in one season in the PLCortwan_King talks out of his ar se as usual. What happened to the agreement to keep three former binner directors on the board. Or to retain the ever incompetent red faced shyster Sheepshanks ? And just who is going to hold Evans to account ? Ipswich Town Football Club Company Ltd ................ 87.5% owned by Evans himself ?  The bleats about the paupers and CAT 1. If Evans had any serious long term view of this grubby little club he would have stumped up the extra 0.5m needed rather than have the rustics trying to raise the money through raffles and jumble sales. And the great unanswred question. Why did Evans transfer the training out of the club''s ownership ?Broadstairs pretty much sums it up and no amount of idiotic guff from (B)Indy can change that. There is no mention of gloating bar from those trying to defend the paupers.As to budget we know that in the last season in the CH. we earned £23m, the paupers earned £13m the season before and with constant sliding gates that figure will doubtlessly be lower. Add on the £23m parachute payment and you have a sum upward of £46m for us.  A massive gap. But well done Cortwan_King, for trawling through another club''s forum and reading a post with a header than never even mentions your grubby little club in the title. Obsession, eh ?

[quote user="littleyellowbirdie"]Personally, I think it''s a bit sad. Not going to gloat over another club''s financial state of affairs, it could have too easily have been us.[/quote]The gloating was done just after the Evans takeover when they waved tenners at us shouting "we''re f***ing rich".Lest you forget.

[quote user="littleyellowbirdie"]Personally, I think it''s a bit sad. Not going to gloat over another club''s financial state of affairs, it could have too easily have been us.[/quote]

Gloating?  Oh dearie me.

Do you realise that there is a thread on TWTD which is finally just about dying out which was inspired by our relegation and has 1,324 replies (mostly consisting of silly YouTube clips) all devoted to "gloating" about our demise. It has had 68, 226 views thus far, yes 68, 226 views. That''s about four times their average attendance.

Besides our own on-off financial difficulties have or never will reach the heights of folly, dishonesty or disgrace that those at that particular club have reached over the past two decades.

[quote user="littleyellowbirdie"]Personally, I think it''s a bit sad. Not going to gloat over another club''s financial state of affairs, it could have too easily have been us.[/quote]any chance of pointing out this gloatingand NO, it could NOT have been us, for the very reasons explained above(do read before posting)otherwise it''s worth watching these farmhands (full up with moonshine), not quite grasping the concept of what is involved when you have to hand over your club to an offshore asset stripperdrunk dimwits