Sign in to follow this  
| wolfswinkel |

OT England vs Ecuador

Again OT.. but really don''t like Foster. Nothing he could have done about that goal but still not a fan. Retire from England duty when you don''t get picked and have a young family (not the only one, sunshine) and return for the WC when your favourite manager takes charge of the national team.Sorry for the rant. Even though Ruddy would only have been 3rd choice I feel that he has unfairly missed out going to a potentially brilliant WC in Brazil at the expense of an ordinary player who turned his back on his country but now decides he fancies going to the WC.On topic - at least this way we get to see how the England players do when things aren''t going entirely our way. Entirely possible that we could go behind early to any of our 3 group game opponents.

Agree with that Ciderkidd Canary - I didn''t see much in Foster''s performances last season that warranted him being called up.

Then again, I suppose Ruddy didn''t have a storming season either and was in a relegated team, BUT he did keep only one less clean sheet that Hart I believe which is very impressive when you look at how many goals we conceded.

Milner is never a full back, Jones and Smalling are only in the squad as they have Manure connections, even though they look like they have never met before, one championship too soon for Shaw, Wiltshire has gone backwards as a player, Hodgy`s mate Foster isnt international class, Rooney still and angry man and cant work out who is playing where in the midfield..... Looking good going forward, totally hopeless defending.

Superb strike, but Foster didn''t do enough. Ruddy would have saved it.

Could not agree more with Ciderkiddcanary when he talks about the unfairness of taking Foster after he told England where to go for two years. In that time Ruddy was turning up to all the squad sessions. Then, the worst bit of all is that Hodgson approached Foster to talk him back into the fold. This, after had dismissed considering Terry, saying that once a player had retired that''s that.

Also, I don''t rate Foster that highly anyway, tries to stop more with his feet and legs than he does with his hands and arms.

Based on today''s showing, Oxlade-Chamberlain should definately be starting against Italy and Ross Barkley showed enough to put him on the periphery of the first XI. The only thing that would make me hesitate to start Barkley would be that I''m not sure he is disciplined enough to mark Pirlo (which is probably the only defensive role the attacking midfielder will be expected to perform). If Hodgson can get that message through to him, then I''d give him the start over Rooney. If not, it''d be better to go for a more defensively responsible player (Henderson or Welbeck) in that role as Pirlo is by far Italy''s most creative player and is responsible for starting their attacks. Stop Pirlo and Italy will struggle.
Also, it was impressive to see that the England players didn''t look too flustered about the conditions until right near then end. It gives me a degree of confidence that they''ll be able to hand the heat and humidity in Manaus. 

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]From the look of at that injury and Hodgson''s comments afterwards Oxlade-Chamberlain won''t be playing any games at the World Cup. Cleverly will probably replace him in the squad.[/quote]
FFS! [:@]

Not looking good for AOC but maybe he and England will get lucky - fingers crossed.

Certainly him and Barkley were the real highlights against Ecuador.

The probable loss of AOC is a blow,   gave us real options with some pace,   more so than wilshere (cleverly a poor mans wilshere,  nothing like the option AOC gives us) and more ready  than the impressive barkley.

While I would be disappointed with Cleverly (and would we need another player similar to gerrard, wilshere, lampard in the squad?) who are the pacy alternatives?  Anyone ahead of Redmond?  Downing? [:-s]

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

The probable loss of AOC is a blow,   gave us real options with some pace,   more so than wilshere (cleverly a poor mans wilshere,  nothing like the option AOC gives us) and more ready  than the impressive barkley.

While I would be disappointed with Cleverly (and would we need another player similar to gerrard, wilshere, lampard in the squad?) who are the pacy alternatives?  Anyone ahead of Redmond?  Downing? [:-s]

[/quote]

Teams can now only replace injured players with the 7 men on the back-up list - that is one out of Flanagan, Stones, Carrick, Cleverly, Defoe or Carroll. You could see Defoe getting the call allowing Sturridge to play on the wing if needed, but I think Hodgson would go with Cleverly, who has played out wide for Man U before.

I''m not 100% sure what Roy''s idea behind AOC was, he has played mostly central for Arsenal this season with Wenger saying that is where his long-term future lies. I guess Roy wanted him was not only is he a great player but he is very versatile. Lallana, Sterling and Sturridge can all play on the right - so England aren''t short of players there.

Thanks Beth - had forgotten that.   Agree AOC has great versatility and is a real front foot player,  which is not something that Cleverly offers.

Of the 7 I would prefer Defoe too,   while he has always struggled at international level against the best sides he offers pace and movement in the attacking third and we have sturridge and rooney who can offer some flexibility as an attacking midfielder which I think is where AOC would thrive,  and neither carrick nor cleverly would offer much there.

I would be disappointed if it was cleverly as a replacement. 

Mind you after yesterdays defensive shambolic horror show by milner, smalling & jones perhaps pulling in Stones as CB & RB cover would be the better option.

Wilshire was an embarrassment. Every time he is tackled he collapses to the ground hoping for a free kick. No attempt to stay on his feet and track back.

Shows it''s not just the continentals who dive. Not strong enough, perhaps too frightened of injury now.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

Shaw and Cleverly just aren''t ready for international football.

both got found out last night.

[/quote]

That really is quite damning for Cleverley considering he wasn''t actually playing.

[quote user="GJP"][quote user="jas the barclay king"]

Shaw and Cleverly just aren''t ready for international football.

both got found out last night.

[/quote]

That really is quite damning for Cleverley considering he wasn''t actually playing.

[/quote]

realised as soon as I posted! I meant Smalling!! had cleverlys name in my head from an earlier post.

*edit button!*

It was a bit of a mess at the back. I thought Jones got a bit better as it went on but the lack of experience showed. As did Milner''s lack of familiarity with his position.

Though I thought the weakest link for England was Lampard.

[quote user="GJP"]

I thought the weakest link for England was Lampard.

[/quote]

He was one I would not have taken,   internationals beyond him for some time,  and his cap count is a classic example of hoping that trying the same thing time and time again and expecting an different outcome is a definition of madness.    

Another example of one of the best English prem league footballers not being good enough for international football...

I had genuinely forgotten Lampard was playing after half time until his name was finally mentioned in about the 70th minute!

Wilshere - agree with comments above. Gets the ball, runs head first into defenders, lays on the floor waving his hands, limps around a bit and then repeats it. Too small and too greedy on the ball.

The defence, well I''m glad it was completely second choice. None of them were good enough last night. Foster rushing around like a headless chicken, Shaw looks a bit suspect defensively, Smalling and Jones just not good enough, Milner doesn''t work at right back.

I would give it to Defoe if AOC is injured, Cleverley offers nothing. I''d prefer every name of the other 6 to him. I''d understand if Flanagan went freeing Milner up to solely focus on being a backup in midfield.

Defoe is on form though and could prove a useful bit of experience if we are struggling to open us Costa Rica or something.

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"][quote user="GJP"]

I thought the weakest link for England was Lampard.

[/quote]

He was one I would not have taken,   internationals beyond him for some time,  and his cap count is a classic example of hoping that trying the same thing time and time again and expecting an different outcome is a definition of madness.    

Another example of one of the best English prem league footballers not being good enough for international football...

[/quote]
To be fair, the only reason Lampard was taken was that he was a good tourist. I don''t think Hodgson honestly expects him to play (he is quite clearly the 22nd man, with only the 3rd choice keeper less likely to play at the world cup) but he brings experience and will help along some of the younger players who are on their first tournament. 

By the looks of it, AOC is going to be injured for about 3 weeks.
If that is the case, I''d keep him in the squad and hope that he''s able to get himself back to fitness ahead of schedule. Neither Carrick nor Cleverly are as good as even a half-fit AOC.

3 weeks would keep him out of the first one or two games. 10 days would just be the Italy game. Shame really, as I thought he was our most effective player last night and Sterling won''t get a friendly before the tournament because of that silly red.

Looking at sterlings reaction, i''m not sure he knew the ban wouldn''t affect the world cup, he looked gutted!