Sign in to follow this  
nutty nigel

Stringer and Williams the Norwich way...

Brilliant video.

Watching Dale Gordon is one of the abiding memories of that era for me and was one of the things we lacked last season on the left and right of the pitch.   Speed, grace and accuracy - and one of the reasons I am looking forward to seeing E. Bennett on the right next season as I think he has that kind of ability in him, especially at championship level.   Redmond could do similar on the left when he finds his form. 

The moving around of the ball and non stop movement of the players was a joy to behold - and to me is more like how teams like Dortmund play these days imo.   We seemed to do it at times last season but couldn''t sustain it or make it count in terms of goals, stuttering along until we ran out of confidence. 

The football of the late eighties was just sensational and I don''t think that is nostalgia talking - we were the best footballing side in the country - a joy to behold.

greta memorries of city in their full pomp.

but need to be careful about wishing or comparing to the past,  in that madness lies,  and we can not turn into those were the days...

Look forward,   we are a strong club with great finances a decent squad and only uncertainty about the management team holding us back from getting straight back in the prem.

COYY.

Those were the days my friend...

Great video, Bryan Gunn with hair even! The remarks about confidence were the key for me. Hopefully City can get that back this year and play quick passing football again. I also liked the quote from Chase: "Was our squad big enough, probably not". What might have been, eh Robert?

[quote user="lake district canary"]Brilliant video.

Watching Dale Gordon is one of the abiding memories of that era for me and was one of the things we lacked last season on the left and right of the pitch.   Speed, grace and accuracy - and one of the reasons I am looking forward to seeing E. Bennett on the right next season as I think he has that kind of ability in him, especially at championship level.   Redmond could do similar on the left when he finds his form. 

The moving around of the ball and non stop movement of the players was a joy to behold - and to me is more like how teams like Dortmund play these days imo.   We seemed to do it at times last season but couldn''t sustain it or make it count in terms of goals, stuttering along until we ran out of confidence. 

The football of the late eighties was just sensational and I don''t think that is nostalgia talking - we were the best footballing side in the country - a joy to behold.

[/quote]

We had such a quality side back then. Dale Gordon was indeed a world beater back then. He was scary good. I remember him scoring this goal outside the box at a crazy acute angle against west ham after going round the goalie. How he didn''t win a lot of England caps is beyond me. Maybe it just shows how good the England team was at the end of the 80s (waddle, Barnes, platt, Beardsley, lineker).

But we also had Townsend, phelan, Putney, fleck, goss, Bowen, culverhouse, crook, gunn etc. real talent with great technique to a man. Back then strength and pace were secondary to technique. Hopefully the old fashion will return and we''ll see similar quality at carrow road one day, and fewer speed merchants with no end product.