Sign in to follow this  
Newton

Wolf Exit

Ignore the video for one minute.

The fact is that we spent £8m on him. You don''t break your transfer record based on youtube videos. If we did, then there are some embarrasingly incompetent people working at NCFC.

Revisiting the RvW video it is crystal clear that the defences he was up against (including the goalies) were way, way inferior to those in the PL.

In fact I''m none too sure they were up to Champs standard either.

...which begs the question: who the hell agreed to meet the £8m valuation of a striker only capable of scoring against League One standard defences and butterfinger goalies? So in effect, we spent £8m on the Dutch Sam Baldock.

Really?

If you watch videos of goals conceded by Norwich over the last two years, it could be argued some of that defending is barely of Championship quality too.

[quote user="mrdi"]...which begs the question: who the hell agreed to meet the £8m valuation of a striker only capable of scoring against League One standard defences and butterfinger goalies? So in effect, we spent £8m on the Dutch Sam Baldock.

Really?

If you watch videos of goals conceded by Norwich over the last two years, it could be argued some of that defending is barely of Championship quality too.[/quote]
Hence the relegation.

But does our shocking defending mean that those players scoring against us aren''t really that good? Of course not.

And yet more... Silva, Aguero - they''re all rubbish!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCscTrMphxo

wolf had a shocking season,   but he is not the sole reason we got relegated,   

the strikers didnt score,  the defenders were generally inconsistent and poor and the midfield the poorest area of the pitch,  providing neither defensive protection nor a creative outlet nor ability to retain possession.    The whole team where rubbish  - yet for some reason there is a witch hunt against one player who did not even start the most games in trhat position.    None of the players earned their wages, not even the pots candidates, so were all shockingly overpaid.   Bringing up rvws wage would be relevant if he was on double anyone elses.   He is not the player on c£40k pw.   Every striker here suffered under Hughton.   The worst was clearly Becchio,   for me hooper was worse than rvw,   but nor did he get us relegated.   That was our defensive approach to games.    

All of the players at the club have talent and none of them performed to their best last season.   They all get another chance from me this season,  a level where all have shown their worth and given attacking tactics and confidence can do well for us in this league.   Add some pacec up front and cover at centre back and we are good to go.

We have a new season and we have a squad packed full of tier two proven players.  Incl Johnson, Martin, Snodgrass,  Hooper and RvW.   If they all remain here in August we have the best chance of going up.

Stop the illogical and hughton backed  player bashing and get behind the team we will have. 

I don''t think that Grabbans signing means Wolf is heading out, just reinforcing the front line.

Realistically, who is going to want to sign a player who scored 1 goal in the previous season? Also, we paid a lot for him, would the club be willing to take the financial hit to get him off the books? I''m not so sure, I expect him to be here come the start of the season.

[quote user="BigFish"]More dodgy defending and tap ins [:D] [/quote]It''s blindingly obvious from watching just the first three goals on that video what the problem has been for both Hooper and RVW this season - Where the f**k have been the balls like those for them this season???Goal 1 - ball over the top for Hooper to run ontoGoal 2 - great ball across from Samaras right into where Hooper was making the runGoal 3 - nice through ball for Hooper to make a good finishThese are EXACTLY the type of balls we''ve needed to be playing to both Hooper and RVW and they simply haven''t happened (especially those balls as per goals 2 and 3), it''s either been dodgy crosses, balls into feet expecting them to hold off 1-2 burly defenders or not even a pass at all as the likes of Snoddy, Redmond and Johnson have blazed wide/over instead of giving them a simple ball.

Why don''t we wait until the starting team is finalized ? Sooner or later Norwich will get a replacement for Nash, then it will be ''RUDDY EXIT'' !

ZippersLeftFoot wrote the following post at 05/06/2014 3:44 PM:

wolf had a shocking season,   but he is not the sole reason we got relegated,  the strikers didnt score,  the defenders were generally inconsistent and poor and the midfield the poorest area of the pitch,  providing neither defensive protection nor a creative outlet nor ability to retain possession

Its a shame u dont watch games live - the reason why the midfield were shocking is that we had no forwards other than Elmander (and he was poor) who could retain or hang on to the ball for longer than 3 seconds - in respect of the Wolf -- I cannot remember when he was ever in full control of the ball in any game and laid off a meaningful pass

The major contributors to our downfall last season were the forwards - invested £15M plus in the 3 of them, none were either capable or able to play the type of game Hoots wanted them to, in Wolfs case he proved to be completely  inadequate in almost every aspect of his game

The main culprits for there signings have already been punished - Hoots sacked  - the chief scout being given the boot, the board recognise now what a disaster this has been and are now trying to strengthen that aspect of our club

What ever anyone says, please do not make ridiculouse comments like the midfield was our weakest area - come on people - internet fans dont see the whole game

[quote user="Newton"]

wolf had a shocking season,   but he is not the sole reason we got relegated,  the strikers didnt score,  the defenders were generally inconsistent and poor and the midfield the poorest area of the pitch,  providing neither defensive protection nor a creative outlet nor ability to retain possession

Its a shame u dont watch games live - the reason why the midfield were shocking is that we had no forwards other than Elmander (and he was poor) who could retain or hang on to the ball for longer than 3 seconds - in respect of the Wolf -- I cannot remember when he was ever in full control of the ball in any game and laid off a meaningful pass

The major contributors to our downfall last season were the forwards - invested £15M plus in the 3 of them, none were either capable or able to play the type of game Hoots wanted them to, in Wolfs case he proved to be completely  inadequate in almost every aspect of his game

The main culprits for there signings have already been punished - Hoots sacked  - the chief scout being given the boot, the board recognise now what a disaster this has been and are now trying to strengthen that aspect of our club

What ever anyone says, please do not make ridiculouse comments like the midfield was our weakest area - come on people - internet fans dont see the whole game

[/quote]Just want to say here, you need glasses as....Every time we got to the halfway line instead of going forward we passed the ball backwards, yes BACKWARDS. Not giving our forwards any chance of getting the killer pass, therefore letting there defenders get back and cover our forwards.Think you may have been at the games but not looking at the game.

Newton wrote the following post at 05/06/2014 4:44 PM:

wolf had a shocking season, but he is not the sole reason we got relegated, the strikers didnt score, the defenders were generally inconsistent and poor and the midfield the poorest area of the pitch, providing neither defensive protection nor a creative outlet nor ability to retain possession

The major contributors to our downfall last season were the forwards - invested £15M plus in the 3 of them, none were either capable or able to play the type of game Hoots wanted them to, in Wolfs case he proved to be completely inadequate in almost every aspect of his game

The main culprits for there signings have already been punished - Hoots sacked - the chief scout being given the boot, the board recognise now what a disaster this has been and are now trying to strengthen that aspect of our club

Once more you seem to asume you are the only one who watches games live.

Well I have news for you...... you might watch the games but, from your comments, you see nothing.

Newton: if we all saw exactly the same things at games and analysed them in exactly the same way, we''d have nothing to have these debates about. Sitting on a forum in wholesale agreement with every other poster would make for a pretty empty & sickening experience, right?

Disagreeing with people is totally fine. Assuming you''re a ''better supporter'' or that others must be armchair plastics due to having a different view just makes you look a bit of a dipstick.

Hooper got a few more good chances last season.

But he scored 7 times more goals.

There is no way on earth that Hooper got 7 times more chances, 50% more perhaps.

Van Wolfswinkel really should have finished last season with 3 or 4 goals from his 25 appearances, if he had managed that we could have perhaps put all the blame on Hughton''s tactics.

Even Elmander outscored him. Didn''t show enough to justify keeping at the club on big wages, let him go for whatever we can get for him. Grabban has a three year deal with one year option, is the future now.

[quote user="GrantsMoustache"]Hooper got a few more good chances last season.

There is no way on earth that Hooper got 7 times more chances, 50% more perhaps.

Van Wolfswinkel really should have finished last season with 3 or 4 goals from his 25 appearances, if he had managed that we could have perhaps put all the blame on Hughton''s tactics.

Even Elmander outscored him. Didn''t show enough to justify keeping at the club on big wages, let him go for whatever we can get for him. Grabban has a three year deal with one year option, is the future now.[/quote]To be fair I can think of a few occasions where Ricky was thwarted by obscenely good saves.

Every team in the Premier League has a top class goalkeeper, and every goal scored requires the striker to get the ball past them. I can remember one RVW save being called "world class", when in fact it was a goalkeeper making a pretty routine save look extra acrobatic. The reality was the ball was well within the keepers range.

[quote user="GrantsMoustache"]Every team in the Premier League has a top class goalkeeper, and every goal scored requires the striker to get the ball past them. I can remember one RVW save being called "world class", when in fact it was a goalkeeper making a pretty routine save look extra acrobatic. The reality was the ball was well within the keepers range.[/quote]You Sir must have a bad memory.

[quote user="bloodwagon"][quote user="GrantsMoustache"]Every team in the Premier League has a top class goalkeeper, and every goal scored requires the striker to get the ball past them. I can remember one RVW save being called "world class", when in fact it was a goalkeeper making a pretty routine save look extra acrobatic. The reality was the ball was well within the keepers range.[/quote]You Sir must have a bad memory.[/quote]
You sir are clutching at straws. 
"He would have scored so many goals but for the goalkeepers!" 
The RVW apologists are getting more desperate and comical by the hour.

I think a lot of people don''t want to admit that they wasted £5 or whatever it was on their v Wolfswinkel shirts before he had even kicked a ball.

So disappointed with this player. I''d love for him to come good but I''ve been saying that since game 2.

Lightweight, lazy, slow, poor touch, can''t finish, can''t pass, stroppy....but obviously that was all because of poor service. He cost 8.5 million pounds so it must be because of the service...it must be....surely.

[quote user="mrdi"]But does our shocking defending mean that those players scoring against us aren''t really that good? Of course not.[/quote]
Not if they were also scoring against teams with a decent defence. But if they were scoring against the relegated teams but not against the better teams then they probably wouldn''t be that good. RVW has no record at all of consistently scoring against decent defences.

From my seat in the ground I have watched play develop from our own penalty area when Wolf is the lone striker. On the half way line he will look over his shoulder to see which side of the pitch play is on.

He then ambles forward towards the far post on the assumption a cross will come over for him

He never makes himself available to build up / develop play or run into channels for the ball or to create space for others

Not surprisingly we end up losing the ball in midfield or passing sideways as there is no where to go

He is a disgrace - you do not see this on a tv screen

I''m willing to give any of the strikers Adams decides to keep another chance, it''s in the interests of the club to see what these players can do with a more positive outlook. The 2 years under Hughton not one striker looked decent, I''m prepared to give the benefit of the doubt at least until the next jan transfer window.

[quote user="Newton"]From my seat in the ground I have watched play develop from our own penalty area when Wolf is the lone striker. On the half way line he will look over his shoulder to see which side of the pitch play is on. He then ambles forward towards the far post on the assumption a cross will come over for him He never makes himself available to build up / develop play or run into channels for the ball or to create space for others Not surprisingly we end up losing the ball in midfield or passing sideways as there is no where to go He is a disgrace - you do not see this on a tv screen[/quote]

How would you know what is seen on a tv screen?

[quote user="Yellowbeagle"]I''m willing to give any of the strikers Adams decides to keep another chance, it''s in the interests of the club to see what these players can do with a more positive outlook. The 2 years under Hughton not one striker looked decent, I''m prepared to give the benefit of the doubt at least until the next jan transfer window.[/quote]

Same here. [Y]

[quote user="GrantsMoustache"]Hooper got a few more good chances last season.

Even Elmander outscored him. Didn''t show enough to justify keeping at the club on big wages, let him go for whatever we can get for him. Grabban has a three year deal with one year option, is the future now.[/quote]

Did you not watch games? You can''t be this stupid. 3 of Hooper''s goals were 2 penalties and a fluke deflection. RVW would have had 3 goals too if he was healthy and playing in the game with the penalties...

The Championship is more physical and "robust" than the Premier League, albeit slower and with teams less deadly on the counter.Nothing RvW did last season gives me any hope he would fare any better in the Championship.For the good of all parties concerned, it''s time to sell him and move on.  Oh, and fire that knob in the Marketing department for that "big bad Wolf" campaign when he was neither big, nor bad, nor much of a Wolf.  You could replace his handsome little face with a baby kitten and it would be as accurate.

Bor Bor Bor wrote the following post at 05/06/2014 7:59 PM:

The Championship is more physical and "robust" than the Premier League,

I am getting a bit tired with this statement. A couple of people said it early on and now everyone seems to believe it.

Below are a few of the players from half of the Premiership of last season

Lescot, Demichelis, Kompany, Skrtel, Kolo Toure, Terry, Cahill, David Luiz, Mertesacker, Distin, Jagielka, Kaboul, Vidic, Shawcross, Huth, Coloccini. Now that''s without looking at the other half.

Perhaps somebody can tell me of the Championship players who are a bit more physical and "robust" than Messrs. Huth, Shawcross, Terry Kaboul and the rest of them because I don''t know of many.

[quote user="Yellow Wall"]Bor Bor Bor wrote the following post at 05/06/2014 7:59 PM:

The Championship is more physical and "robust" than the Premier League,

I am getting a bit tired with this statement. A couple of people said it early on and now everyone seems to believe it.

Below are a few of the players from half of the Premiership of last season

Lescot, Demichelis, Kompany, Skrtel, Kolo Toure, Terry, Cahill, David Luiz, Mertesacker, Distin, Jagielka, Kaboul, Vidic, Shawcross, Huth, Coloccini. Now that''s without looking at the other half.

Perhaps somebody can tell me of the Championship players who are a bit more physical and "robust" than Messrs. Huth, Shawcross, Terry Kaboul and the rest of them because I don''t know of many.[/quote]

The standard is more physical because the players arnt as in control of the ball, so there''s more tackling and winning back possession before losing it again, also those players with better movement will easily stand up against championship players, even if they dont have a physical edge, just look at all the goals Earnshaw rattled in at that level. Surman, Hoolahan and Fox also had some very good games in the same team together and they are hardly man mountains are they? While I agree we will need physical players, if we are going to get back up we will need balance to the team not 11 big lugs.