Sign in to follow this  
GrantsMoustache

Too many chiefs not enough indians?

If we are still to appoint a ''technical director'', such as Mark Woote, how is that going to work with Joe Royle as ''football consultant''.

If one is on the football board, and one isn''t. Surely having two people advising Adams will lead to conflict or people being undermined?

Is all a bit confusing.

Companies in the real world spilling staff here there and everywhere, cutting pensions and perks. Incompetance punished severely including financiall deprivation.A gulf between the football culture of money money everywhere, jobs for the boys  and incompetance labled as ''just a game''.Good if you can get it.

One is advising on football and the other health.

Getalife wrote the following post at 05/06/2014 6:25 AM:

"Companies in the real world spilling staff here there and everywhere, cutting pensions and perks. Incompetance punished severely including financiall deprivation.

A gulf between the football culture of money money everywhere, jobs for the boys and incompetance labled as ''just a game''.

Good if you can get it. "

Ron Manager is in the house everybody!

You are right. It''s endemic in football.In the preamble to last night''s Ecuador v England game, Glenn Hoddle mentioned that Roy Hodgson has a backroom staff of 75 people running England''s World Cup team. He (Hoddle) stated that whe he was running the show in the he had 30 backroom staff in France 98.Why the need to double these people in the space of 15 years ?!

[quote user="Reggie Strayshun"]You are right. It''s endemic in football.

In the preamble to last night''s Ecuador v England game, Glenn Hoddle mentioned that Roy Hodgson has a backroom staff of 75 people running England''s World Cup team. He (Hoddle) stated that whe he was running the show in the he had 30 backroom staff in France 98.

Why the need to double these people in the space of 15 years ?!
[/quote]

Is Hoddle really the person to be listening to when it comes to matters of backroom staff? His did include faith healers...

In all seriousness, I think England have always been a little behind in terms of backroom conditions, in 2002 Germany had around 70 - 80 staff with them. France were similar and England even had 50 odd. A lot of these people are just part of a logistical team helping a large group of people get around a massive country like Brazil without any problems - and considering England cook all there own meals while in the hotels it isn''t a surprise you need that many people - which includes many non-football related staff such as translators etc

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

[quote user="Reggie Strayshun"]You are right. It''s endemic in football.

In the preamble to last night''s Ecuador v England game, Glenn Hoddle mentioned that Roy Hodgson has a backroom staff of 75 people running England''s World Cup team. He (Hoddle) stated that whe he was running the show in the he had 30 backroom staff in France 98.

Why the need to double these people in the space of 15 years ?!
[/quote]

Is Hoddle really the person to be listening to when it comes to matters of backroom staff? His did include faith healers...

In all seriousness, I think England have always been a little behind in terms of backroom conditions, in 2002 Germany had around 70 - 80 staff with them. France were similar and England even had 50 odd. A lot of these people are just part of a logistical team helping a large group of people get around a massive country like Brazil without any problems - and considering England cook all there own meals while in the hotels it isn''t a surprise you need that many people - which includes many non-football related staff such as translators etc

[/quote]

It''s quite amazing that people want to judge things on what happened in 1998, the football world has moved on massively since then and we should all be pleased that England set up is at the forefront.

I think the coaching and management team is well structured and makes sense,  even if I am uninspired.     

Every figurehead manager has a coaching team beside and behind them,  ours does not seem too large and its not something I can get aerated about.

Get the playing staff right and we will progress.

COYY

[quote user="TCCANARY"]

It''s quite amazing that people want to judge things on what happened in 1998, the football world has moved on massively since then and we should all be pleased that England set up is at the forefront.

[/quote]I''ll remind you of that when the NCFC contribution to running the FA goes up, and it''s reflected in the price of your season ticket (if of course you have one) TCC.Of course we need to keep up, but staff to more than double in  15 yrs ??!!

The FA get £8M for reaching the World Cup & another £8M if they get out of the group stage, I think they can afford it with going cap in hand to the clubs.

[quote user="TCCANARY"]

The FA get £8M for reaching the World Cup & another £8M if they get out of the group stage, I think they can afford it with going cap in hand to the clubs.

[/quote]Hmm. well that should cover a slight percentage of all these peoples'' wages then . What about the rest ?Not really that up to date with current salary levels, are we TCC ?!

[quote user="Reggie Strayshun"][quote user="TCCANARY"]

[/quote]

Hmm. well that should cover a slight percentage of all these peoples'' wages then . What about the rest ?

Not really that up to date with current salary levels, are we TCC ?!
[/quote]

£8m means they could pay all the 70 staff £28,000 per week for the 4 weeks they would be together if England get knocked out during the group phase...

[quote user="Reggie Strayshun"][quote user="TCCANARY"]

[/quote]

Hmm. well that should cover a slight percentage of all these peoples'' wages then . What about the rest ?

[/quote]

Please show us how you''ve your worked that out & what you define as a slight %.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"][quote user="Reggie Strayshun"][quote user="TCCANARY"]

[/quote]Hmm. well that should cover a slight percentage of all these peoples'' wages then . What about the rest ?Not really that up to date with current salary levels, are we TCC ?![/quote]

£8m means they could pay all the 70 staff £28,000 per week for the 4 weeks they would be together if England get knocked out during the group phase...

[/quote]You are making the fatal assumption that all these people are on a short term contract for just the 4 wks of the World Cup, BYG.You know as well as I do that will not be the case.......

[quote user="Reggie Strayshun"][quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"][quote user="Reggie Strayshun"][quote user="TCCANARY"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

You are making the fatal assumption that all these people are on a short term contract for just the 4 wks of the World Cup, BYG.

You know as well as I do that will not be the case.......
[/quote]

So how many are not on short term contract & how much are they earning, please show your working.

Reggies right TC. We won the World Cup in 1966 with a manager, a trainer and no substitutes. Now look at them all on those benches! All paid for by us no doubt and at the end of it we''ll be lucky to get out of our group....

[quote user="TCCANARY"][quote user="Reggie Strayshun"][quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"][quote user="Reggie Strayshun"][quote user="TCCANARY"]

[/quote]Hmm. well that should cover a slight percentage of all these peoples'' wages then . What about the rest ?Not really that up to date with current salary levels, are we TCC ?![/quote]

[/quote]You are making the fatal assumption that all these people are on a short term contract for just the 4 wks of the World Cup, BYG.You know as well as I do that will not be the case.......[/quote]

So how many are not on short term contract & how much are they earning, please show your working.

[/quote]How the hell should I know exactly what they are earning? Do you know what your colleagues at work are earning? Still less the people at the FA.But, unless it''s all been a huge ruse of misinformation, I think you''ll agree that salaries in the world of top football are not bargain basement. 8 to 16 mill does not buy you a lot these days.I know you are playing devil''s advocate, TCC, but the trouble is, you''re rather transparent and not terribly good at it.....

[quote user="Reggie Strayshun"][quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"][quote user="Reggie Strayshun"][quote user="TCCANARY"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

You are making the fatal assumption that all these people are on a short term contract for just the 4 wks of the World Cup, BYG.

You know as well as I do that will not be the case.......
[/quote]

Many of them are, the chef Tim De''Ath (real name) works full time for West Ham and comes with England for tournaments - the physios are from Arsenal I believe and paid by the FA for the duration of the World Cup. A large part of the staff will be translators and media people, who will be given short term employment for the duration of the World Cup (or have FA jobs anyway so add no extra cost).

The England team doesn''t have a permanent back room staff of 70, but many are brought in just for the World Cup or Euros. I really can''t see why you think this is an issue, as I said before other nations had just as large teams back in 2002 it was England, as normal, being behind the latest developments in sport science and fitness.

The 75 strong group that the FA are taking to Brazil consists of:23 players (+2 on standby), 1 manager, 3 coaches, 1 performance chief, 1 psychiatrist, 2 sports scientists, 2 exercise scientists, 1 physio, 3 masseurs, 3 video analysts, 3 kit managers, 1 doctor, 1 nutritionist, 1 osteopath,1 chef, 4 security personnel, 2 administrators, 1 travel manager and 1 commercial expert, 6 communicators (translators), 6 international committee members, 1 sponsor and 4 club England officials 

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

Reggies right TC. We won the World Cup in 1966 with a manager, a trainer and no substitutes. Now look at them all on those benches! All paid for by us no doubt and at the end of it we''ll be lucky to get out of our group....

[/quote]All good knockabout stuff, I''m sure Nige. (If we can be bothered we can all find old pictures of long -dead BBC sitcoms....)But you inadvertently raise an important question. ie England''s chances in the forthcoming World Cup.So, let''s be ''avin you. Down to brass tacks.None of your usual shilly-shallying and bolthole tinged replies, if you please.Do you predict that England will progress from the World Cup group stage ......YES or NO  ??

[quote user="Phillip J Fry"]The 75 strong group that the FA are taking to Brazil consists of:23 players (+2 on standby), 1 manager, 3 coaches, 1 performance chief, 1 psychiatrist, 2 sports scientists, 2 exercise scientists, 1 physio, 3 masseurs, 3 video analysts, 3 kit managers, 1 doctor, 1 nutritionist, 1 osteopath,1 chef, 4 security personnel, 2 administrators, 1 travel manager and 1 commercial expert, 6 communicators (translators), 6 international committee members, 1 sponsor and 4 club England officials 
[/quote]Hoddle definitely said 75 backroom staff, Phil. Not players.Where did you get these stats from . Is GH wrong ?

[quote user="Reggie Strayshun"][quote user="Phillip J Fry"]The 75 strong group that the FA are taking to Brazil consists of:23 players (+2 on standby), 1 manager, 3 coaches, 1 performance chief, 1 psychiatrist, 2 sports scientists, 2 exercise scientists, 1 physio, 3 masseurs, 3 video analysts, 3 kit managers, 1 doctor, 1 nutritionist, 1 osteopath,1 chef, 4 security personnel, 2 administrators, 1 travel manager and 1 commercial expert, 6 communicators (translators), 6 international committee members, 1 sponsor and 4 club England officials 
[/quote]Hoddle definitely said 75 backroom staff, Phil. Not players.Where did you get these stats from . Is GH wrong ?[/quote]
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/worldcup2014/article-2636798/FA-pick-expanded-World-Cup-squad-England-70-staff-Brazil.html
Whilst the Daily Mail is far from the most reputable paper, Charles Sale (the author) knows what he''s talking about and usually has very good information about both England and the FA. It''s possible that Glenn Hoddle misspoke and was actually referring to the size of the entire party rather than just the backroom staff.  

[quote user="Phillip J Fry"][quote user="Reggie Strayshun"][quote user="Phillip J Fry"]The 75 strong group that the FA are taking to Brazil consists of:23 players (+2 on standby), 1 manager, 3 coaches, 1 performance chief, 1 psychiatrist, 2 sports scientists, 2 exercise scientists, 1 physio, 3 masseurs, 3 video analysts, 3 kit managers, 1 doctor, 1 nutritionist, 1 osteopath,1 chef, 4 security personnel, 2 administrators, 1 travel manager and 1 commercial expert, 6 communicators (translators), 6 international committee members, 1 sponsor and 4 club England officials 
[/quote]Hoddle definitely said 75 backroom staff, Phil. Not players.Where did you get these stats from . Is GH wrong ?[/quote]
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/worldcup2014/article-2636798/FA-pick-expanded-World-Cup-squad-England-70-staff-Brazil.html
Whilst the Daily Mail is far from the most reputable paper, Charles Sale (the author) knows what he''s talking about and usually has very good information about both England and the FA. It''s possible that Glenn Hoddle misspoke and was actually referring to the size of the entire party rather than just the backroom staff.  
[/quote]OK, fair enough, Phil. Like you , I have suspicions about the DM, but am happy to accept this. I did think that 75 backroom staff sounded excessive at the time that Hoddle said it, which is why (in the words of BYG) I was making something of "an issue" out of this.

How many of the 75 are security guards / bodyguards? They are in Brazil, where kidnappings happen. Hoddle took us to France, a very safe country.

I don''t believe the Mail numbers because there will be a lot of security out there as part of the team.

[quote user="GrantsMoustache"]How many of the 75 are security guards / bodyguards? They are in Brazil, where kidnappings happen. Hoddle took us to France, a very safe country.

I don''t believe the Mail numbers because there will be a lot of security out there as part of the team.[/quote]
I find it very unlikely that anyone in the squad will be permitted to travel alone or even in small groups. They''ll spend most of the time at the hotel and will only leave on very rare occasions and for games. The security personal will mainly be there in order to help co-ordinate security efforts with the local forces rather than to individually guard the players.

GM, When he was speaking about this with Chiles, Dixon and Wright, Hoddle certainly gave the impression he was talking about running the football/sporting side of stuff, not bodyguards, translators etc.

[quote user="Reggie Strayshun"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]All good knockabout stuff, I''m sure Nige. (If we can be bothered we can all find old pictures of long -dead BBC sitcoms....)But you inadvertently raise an important question. ie England''s chances in the forthcoming World Cup.So, let''s be ''avin you. Down to brass tacks.None of your usual shilly-shallying and bolthole tinged replies, if you please.Do you predict that England will progress from the World Cup group stage ......YES or NO  ??[/quote]

What''s this Reggie? Quiz of the week?? Have you gone from Victor Meldrew to Nicholas Parsons???

Tough group for England. Italy have been in abysmal form this year. But they always seem to do well in South America. Uruguay have a good record in World Cups on their continent and are in good form. Hand on heart I don''t see us getting past the group.

Turning the thread back to Norwich if all these Indians mean we never sign another Wolf it can only be a good thing

A very costly mistake & not just his transfer fee