Sign in to follow this  
Dubai Mark

The Wolf or Hoops.......if you can keep only one?

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]Both are goal scorers who had an extremely poor season, but with good attacking quality in a lower quality league will score.  if its a theorhetical you can only have one then rvw would be my choice

[/quote]

Well the new signing Grabban suggests Hooper might be the better fit - always thought Adams liked the Iwan Roberts type of player which RVW is not. But it will depend very much on whether he sees quality in RVW and if he does, he may be preferred - and his current contract may make him difficult/expensive to sell on anyway. I''d love to see RVW come good and unless he has good offers from back home, I still fancy RVW is more likely to be with us next season rather than Hooper.

how the hell we can justify keeping someone we paid so much money for who (1 goal apart) failed to score, win the ball or get an assist all season is beyond me?

RVW is, to put it nicely, sh*t!

Hooper has scored goals at this level before and will do so again. He was far more mobile, able to play others in and drop off into space to affect play. RVW would run to the far post then look sad if the ball didnt reach him before doing exactly the same thing next time.

The Dutch league is woeful quality.. and porto apart the Portugese league isnt much better.. if Ricky had come from Germany, Serie A or La Liga with his record I''d be saying keep him at all costs...

I have saide on here before if we''d signed him on a free the pitch fork and burning torch mob would have run him out of town months ago.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

how the hell we can justify keeping someone we paid so much money for who (1 goal apart) failed to score, win the ball or get an assist all season is beyond me?

RVW is, to put it nicely, sh*t!

Hooper has scored goals at this level before and will do so again. He was far more mobile, able to play others in and drop off into space to affect play. RVW would run to the far post then look sad if the ball didnt reach him before doing exactly the same thing next time.

The Dutch league is woeful quality.. and porto apart the Portugese league isnt much better.. if Ricky had come from Germany, Serie A or La Liga with his record I''d be saying keep him at all costs...

I have saide on here before if we''d signed him on a free the pitch fork and burning torch mob would have run him out of town months ago.

[/quote]
Agree totally but a lot of posters are just blinded by the price tag and are desperately hoping he''ll come good in the end. Not gonna happen.

[quote user="Kangaroo Court"][quote user="jas the barclay king"]

how the hell we can justify keeping someone we paid so much money for who (1 goal apart) failed to score, win the ball or get an assist all season is beyond me?   RVW is, to put it nicely, sh*t!  Hooper has scored goals at this level before and will do so again. He was far more mobile, able to play others in and drop off into space to affect play. RVW would run to the far post then look sad if the ball didnt reach him before doing exactly the same thing next time.  The Dutch league is woeful quality.. and porto apart the Portugese league isnt much better.. if Ricky had come from Germany, Serie A or La Liga with his record I''d be saying keep him at all costs...   I have saide on here before if we''d signed him on a free the pitch fork and burning torch mob would have run him out of town months ago.   [/quote]

Agree totally but a lot of posters are just blinded by the price tag and are desperately hoping he''ll come good in the end. Not gonna happen.

[/quote]

Price tag or not, his technical ability when striking for goal, whether with head or foot is excellent and if Snodgrass and Redmond had put in more decent early balls he might have got on the end of something more often.  Lets face it - the whole team was not at the races most of last season and  the jury is out on most of the players.  Singling out RVW or Hooper without seeing the lapses elsewhere are just scapegoating.  They all have something to prove and all have the ability to do just that - RVW and Hooper included.     

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

The Dutch league is woeful quality.. and porto apart the Portugese league isnt much better.

[/quote]

I must have imagined Benfica winning 3-1 at White Hart Lane, beating PSG 2-1 and turning over Juventus in the Europa League last season.

Idiot

Hooper, first touch is simply brilliant, puts himself about and really gives it his all And does have a good eye for a goal as they both do given the service but Hooper had that something extra about him and feel he will prove better next season.

I cannot believe what I am reading on this thread. RVW had over an entire season shown absolutely no evidence of being able to do anything required of a striker yet still people seem convinced he''s a huge talent who has just had an off 12 months. Look at his goals for Sporting. Pens, tap ins and the odd decent header. I think we were done by Sporting and its only because he has a funny, foreign name that people assume he is good.

Hooper on the other hand did little wrong when he played, linked up play quite well and scored a few goals. Yes he went off the boil after being messed about by Hughton and at a time when the whole team started to struggle but in a few games he looked the real deal. He will be the best striker in the championship if we manage to keep him and how anyone who saw us play last season can say they would rather keep RVW is beyond me!

Ps. Watch the season highlights back if you think RVW was starved of service. He missed at least half a dozen absolute sitters.

[quote user="Jim Smith"]Ps. Watch the season highlights back if you think RVW was starved of service. He missed at least half a dozen absolute sitters.[/quote]

And Hooper missed about 15, yet he''s "the best striker in the Championship" next year. There''s a shit ton of stupid here, it''s hilarious.

[quote user="barclay_boy111"]Hooper, first touch is simply brilliant, puts himself about and really gives it his all And does have a good eye for a goal as they both do given the service but Hooper had that something extra about him and feel he will prove better next season.[/quote]

Perfect example of the shit ton of stupid. Especially if anyone thinks Hooper "put himself about" and "gives it his all". That''s unbelievable stupidity.

I had promised myself not to criticize the wolf any more

But he is simply the biggest waste of money in our history and is the major reason we are where we are now

If he cost £500K would have had his contract cancelled but because he cost £8M people still think he will come good

Get rid as soon as an acceptable offer comes in (£4M or season loan)

We do not want him at Carrow Road

[quote user="jaemae2"][quote user="barclay_boy111"]Hooper, first touch is simply brilliant, puts himself about and really gives it his all And does have a good eye for a goal as they both do given the service but Hooper had that something extra about him and feel he will prove better next season.[/quote]

Perfect example of the shit ton of stupid. Especially if anyone thinks Hooper "put himself about" and "gives it his all". That''s unbelievable stupidity.[/quote]

You appear to have some sort of pathological hatred for Hooper based on the fact that every single post of yours on here appears to be slating the guy. He cut you up on the A11 or something?

[quote user="Jim Smith"]You appear to have some sort of pathological hatred for Hooper based on the fact that every single post of yours on here appears to be slating the guy. He cut you up on the A11 or something?[/quote]Being fair, it''s no worse than a lot of the abuse being aimed towards RVW is it?

Indy_Bones

"Darren Bent has never been ''creative'', but give him a decent chance and the majority of the time he''ll give you a goal."

I would argue that players like Darren Bent are a bit of luxury these days - presumably why he''s spent a lot of time over the past 5 years being transferred from club to club and being benched. He doesn''t contribute much to general play and neither did van Wolfswinkel last season.

"If Liverpool and England hadn''t provided the balls they did for Owen then he wouldn''t have scored half as many as he did, but if instead they''d played HIM as a target man, you wouldn''t have expected a good return then either would you?"

No you''re right, Owen would obviously have been an ineffective target man, but he was able to create goal-scoring opportunities for himself. Based on what I saw last year, could you imagine Wolf skinning the Arsenal defence to score that goal in the Cup final? I just don''t see him as having the pace, strength or technical ability required.

I agree his strengths were not played to last season, but I saw enough of his other abilities as a footballer to suggest to me that Hooper will be more effective next season, especially if played with Grabban.

[quote user="barclay_boy111"]Hooper, first touch is simply brilliant, puts himself about and really gives it his all  [/quote]

Generous.