Sign in to follow this  
Yellow Wal

More new signings needed then ...............

"He''s not just a goal scorer. He can come and get the ball, can run in behind defenders and he has great work rate. That''s why there was so much interest in him."

Neil Adams on new ‪#‎NCFC‬ striker Lewis Grabban.

If Grabban can run in behind defenders, and that is one of the things Adams is looking for him to do, then we are desperately short of players who can actually put the ball in there.

A Henri Lansbury type through-ball?

An Ian Crook type chipped ball?

A Gary Doc type diagonal hoof from central defence to Hucks on the left wing?

You''re right - we need players who can do at least some of these things. Shame David Fox has just left as could probably do all of the above!

Actually, I fancy our attack from the point-of-view of sheer pace next season; Josh Murphy, Jamar Loza, Lewis Grabban & Nathan Redmond are likely to have a field day at places like Portman Road!

I agree that the supply lines to the strikers are another key area to be looked at. Although who we buy I think depends a lot on who leaves as well.

There is pace and directness from the likes of Redmond, the Murphys and Elliott Bennett, but there still might be another quick winger/wide forward needed if Snodgrass and or Pilkington go. However I would also like to add some more guile and creativity to central areas. Hoolahan could still do a job at Championship level although it would be great if we could find a younger, better replacement. Howson and Fer also have some creative qualities too, but again we will have to wait and see if they are here or not.

Maybe in the mean time exploring the option of bringing a Tom Carroll/ Alex Pritchard in on loan from Spurs (or permanently would be lovely!) would add extra depth and creativity to the squad. Or Josh Mceacehran who Chelsea might sell cheaply as his development has slowed - Maybe Adams (brought in to work with youth players) could finally get the best from him.

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]I still think we need another striker adept at holding the ball up.[/quote]

I think the sort of striker who can hold the ball up well would have been more useful last season than he would be this. Strikers who can hold the ball up are particularly useful when your a bit under the cosh defensively and they give you an out ball. He then retains the ball till other players can get up to support him. This season it is only natural that we are going to be the team on the front foot in alot more games, and hopefully we will be the team putting the others under the cosh and our strikers will be well supported. If we have people who can finish in the box, find a bit of space in a crowded defence, offer an aerial threat in box and have enough pace to hit quickly on the counter attack or stretch teams in behind then I think we will be OK. I think these kind of traits might be more important this season than someone who is brought in as a hold-up man. Of course having this trait in a striker as well would be the cherry on the cake but I don''t think it is as much of a priority.

A centre half to put Turner & Bennett under pressure

A winger if Snoddy & Pilks move on

A number 10

A striker if RVW moves on and they continue not using Becchio

for me

- Add a new centre back

- Improve creativity in central midfield

- Replace any player that leaves

At cb we only have three which simply is not enough - a talented youngster would be worth investing in as a fourth,  a more experienced player to replace bassong assuming he leaves.

I think we have a good variety of wide players (assuming none leave,  and if they do replace like for like as I said above) so dont need to alter this,  but agree with peateabee that we really lack cm guile.    Wes in the champs can do it  and surman may be able to (I am hopeful Surman plays a part, impressed in his prem league season with us before getting injured and now seems fully fit again) but I would like to see a little more.   A joe cole for a season is my suggestion.

If we add that creativity to the quality we have down both flanks I think any of our current 4 strikers will have a successful season.

Just as much as the strikers suffered greatly last season because of the restrictive system that was used so did the central midfield players.

By attacking slowly and by playing inverted wingers, who always seemed to want to come inside, the central midfield had little or no space to attack themselves or to play the ball into.

There were few opportunities to play balls into space in the box, or as Neil Adams now seemingly would want it, behind the defence because the space was continually being closed down by our own players. Fullbacks seemed reluctant at times to get forward and when they did had to play the ball into very crowded penalty areas. Without width and pace our attacks were very poor and just as it was difficult for our strikers it was just as hard for our central midfield.

We have some talented central midfield players, especially Fer, but they must be given the chance to show what they can do in a far less negative system than was used last season.