Sign in to follow this  
littleyellowbirdie

Becchio's future.

Adams has said absolutely nothing about Becchio to date, but on the

other hand I haven''t heard anyone ask him about him either, so whether

Adams does feel he can do a job for us or not I have no idea. Becchio''s contract expires in June 2016. The way I see it is we have wasted him the last couple of years, but the fact is that as a proven championship goal scorer, he knocks everybody else into a cocked hat. 20 championship goals a season is considered a decent player, but this guy did that in half a season at Leeds. Lots of people argue that he''s too big too slow etc. but none of that beats that one simple fact. He was on target to score about 40 goals in the season we took him. The other argument is that we can''t have done much good for his market value squandering him the way we have. It would be good to actually use him and I don''t think there''s any doubt he can cut it at this level. The big issue is whether he will want to stay after the miserable time he has had at Norwich to date under Chris Hughton. I think that comes down to how Adams approaches it. If he can convince him that he''ll have a proper part to play in the promotion push and can count on involvement once we''re promoted then that has to be a good option for him.

If we can get £4 million for RVW we should sell him and have Grabban, Hooper, Becchio and Loza as our four strikers. I could see any of the first 3 getting 20+ goals. Use the money from the sale of RVW to buy a decent Championship attacking midfielder. 

[quote user="littleyellowbirdie"]Adams has said absolutely nothing about Becchio to date, but on the

other hand I haven''t heard anyone ask him about him either, so whether

Adams does feel he can do a job for us or not I have no idea. Becchio''s contract expires in June 2016. The way I see it is we have wasted him the last couple of years, but the fact is that as a proven championship goal scorer, he knocks everybody else into a cocked hat. 20 championship goals a season is considered a decent player, but this guy did that in half a season at Leeds. Lots of people argue that he''s too big too slow etc. but none of that beats that one simple fact. He was on target to score about 40 goals in the season we took him. The other argument is that we can''t have done much good for his market value squandering him the way we have. It would be good to actually use him and I don''t think there''s any doubt he can cut it at this level. The big issue is whether he will want to stay after the miserable time he has had at Norwich to date under Chris Hughton. I think that comes down to how Adams approaches it. If he can convince him that he''ll have a proper part to play in the promotion push and can count on involvement once we''re promoted then that has to be a good option for him.

[/quote]Totally agree. The importnat thing for Becchio is it''s a fresh start under a new manager. Have always thought it was a massive mistake on NCFC''s part to take a striker, who''d scored 19 goals at the halfway point of a season, when they''re high in confidence, and then never play them.Considering we''ve struggled to score goals!But the exciting thing in Becchio, Hooper and Grabben, is that we have 3 20+ strikers now at this level

Becchio didn''t make the bench for the Premiership games under Adams, Loza was preferred for the last game, don''t know if he was injured but if not maybe Adams doesn''t rate him?

Agree with everything posted on this thread

Clearly the rose tinted glasses brigade have not got stuck into this thread yet with there ridiculous comments

Put your hat on I can hear them coming, what was that keep Wolf because he smiled on a u tube clip when he scored a goal against some crap Portuguese team 3 years ago YEA RIGHT

So why does Becchio deserve a second chance, while RVW should be thrown out?

Becchio has long proven track record at this level - Wolf does not

If we had paid £500K for Wolf no one would care less about him, the fact that we got coned into paying £8M - people thing there must be something there

What tho ?

I over 60 and sure they could make me look good in u tube clip

Finally suspect Wolf one of our top earners - they need to be off loaded

Over 60?! Why are you writing like a 13 year old.

Feckin time wasters.

If newton dumbed himself down any further he''d be back in nappies.

[quote user="Herman "]So why does Becchio deserve a second chance, while RVW should be thrown out?[/quote]Second chance? When was his first one? Did I blink when that happened?

The only chance he had was Hoots last throw of the dice when he played him for the 20 mins against WBA when we lost & Wolf left on the Bench

The man has had no chance to prove himself, while he may not be Prem standard - he could do a good job for us in the champs

We will find out over the next few weeks what Adams view is - thats the one that matters

"Totally agree. The importnat thing for Becchio is it''s a fresh start under a new manager. Have always thought it was a massive mistake on NCFC''s part to take a striker, who''d scored 19 goals at the halfway point of a season, when they''re high in confidence, and then never play them."

Yep, everyone thought this except the important one....the one in charge. Oh well!

"littleyellowbirdie""Herman "So why does Becchio deserve a second chance, while RVW should be thrown out?

Second chance? When was his first one? Did I blink when that happened?

Fair point. Personally I would keep them both. Give them a chance to prove that they are capable.

Personally I would like to see Becchio stay and be given the opportunity. There was a lot of talk about Grabban yesterday (and rightly so) but lets put things in perspective. Grabban had a good season last year but his record before that was not exactly prolific. In contrast we have a fella who has been warming our bench who has proven and consistent pedigree in the championship. I am not convinced we will hold on to Hooper and RvW - I would settle for one of these but it could be neither. Becchio probably wasn''t good enough for the PL (but we didn''t see him that much and his confidence was shot) but he certainly is good enough for the Champs so hope we retain his services and use him. He will score goals at that level.

[quote user="Herman "]"littleyellowbirdie""Herman "So why does Becchio deserve a second chance, while RVW should be thrown out?

Second chance? When was his first one? Did I blink when that happened?

Fair point. Personally I would keep them both. Give them a chance to prove that they are capable.[/quote]
How many games would you give RVW to prove himself in the Championship? We waited an entire season for him to prove himself and all he gave us was crap like this:
We need to be scoring goals and winning games from the start to give us a chance of promotion. We now have 3 proven Championship strikers. Why should we give RVW another chance to screw things up?

whilst I agree with most on this topic, I think Adams will not be making any decisions untill pre season, he may have already pointed out to Becchio what he expects from him and told him he is part of the clubs plans, RVW, in my opinion was wasted by Hughton, when you hear of clubs like Chealsea and Arsenal were interested in they must have seen something there, Hughton didn''t have a clue, when you look at the players we have we should have at least stayed up, Who knows perhaps if we keep the team together we will bounce back, I would like to see them given untill January at least

Becchio has that prescence in the air that our other guys don''t really have much of. In that respect i hope he''s given at least until January, regarding Wolf, there is a good striker in there somewhere and I don''t think anyone would disagree there. He simply isn''t suited to the game of running round like a headless chicken like he was instructed to.

I''d like to see us give him until at least January as well, if we are serious about getting out of this league then getting a great start is of paramount importance and RvW could prove our trump card.

I know we can''t have too many passengers but i do think in the right set up, both could flourish as long as their heads haven''t completely gone.

Sadly Jimmy plenty of people do disagree.

He''s the scapegoat because he was so expensive.

But back to Becchio - I totally agree he should be told he''s back in the fold and given the chance to prove himself, as should Ricky.

Our problems last season weren''t really due to poor players, but poor management of the players. Therefore for a championship season we shouldn''t need to strengthen too much as long as we don''t lose too many.

Sadly I don''t think RVW was good enough for the prem, I don''t think his heart will be in it playing for us at champioship, so I think best for all concerned to let him go out on loan or sell him on for the right price.

Becchi is no spring chicken and has a couple more years left, as said can score goals at this level and would bea useful back up to Hooper & Grabban, with Loza and hopefully a Chris Wood type option to turn to.

I would''nt be too upset to see Becchio go out the door.

IMO, Becchio offers another option up front as well as a very good record in this league. It depends on his attitude after the last one and a half seasons, but a new management structure might encourage him to stay, which I'' be in favour of.

[quote user="Kangaroo Court"][quote user="Herman "]"littleyellowbirdie""Herman "So why does Becchio deserve a second chance, while RVW should be thrown out? Second chance? When was his first one? Did I blink when that happened? Fair point. Personally I would keep them both. Give them a chance to prove that they are capable.[/quote]

How many games would you give RVW to prove himself in the Championship? We waited an entire season for him to prove himself and all he gave us was crap like this:

We need to be scoring goals and winning games from the start to give us a chance of promotion. We now have 3 proven Championship strikers. Why should we give RVW another chance to screw things up?

[/quote]

Why are you only blaming RVW for last season? Yes, it was awful, but he wasn''t the only culprit. The constant scapegoating of one individual stinks.

Anyway, unless someone comes in with a stupid offer for him, (yeah right), I would keep as long as possible.

[quote user="Herman "][quote user="Kangaroo Court"][quote user="Herman "]"littleyellowbirdie""Herman "So why does Becchio deserve a second chance, while RVW should be thrown out? Second chance? When was his first one? Did I blink when that happened? Fair point. Personally I would keep them both. Give them a chance to prove that they are capable.[/quote]

[/quote]

Why are you only blaming RVW for last season? Yes, it was awful, but he wasn''t the only culprit. The constant scapegoating of one individual stinks.

Anyway, unless someone comes in with a stupid offer for him, (yeah right), I would keep as long as possible.

[/quote]
I''m not only blaming him but we''re talking about Becchio''s future and I think he has more to offer us in the Championship than RVW. If we want to get straight back up to the PL we can''t afford to take the gamble that RVW will come good in the end. One season of total failure is enough. Move him on.

Becchio is a 30 year old bloke that has barely kicked a ball in many a month. A slightly less of a gamble due to his previous time in the Champs, but a gamble nonetheless.

KC - you make a key point. It will be a gamble to go with RvW as a main striker in the hope that he comes good. If it does not come off, well we can probably kiss promotion goodbye.

I had the chance to see RvW against a championship defence at Brighton in pre season, and quite frankly he was no more of a handful for them than he was for Premiership defences.

However he may not be so easy to move on as possibly some are hoping!