Sign in to follow this  
magic_eyes

Worthy - "We've got to keep plugging away"

"We''ve got to keep plugging away" - loosely translated as "Let''s bury our heads in the sand and hope things get better".   So while Worthy is relying on hope to get us out of this crisis, new and progressive managers like Mike Newell and Adrian Boothroyd are doing twice the job with half the resources.

Last year Worthy was a failure, regardless of the last 5 or 6 games.  His tactics were poor, and his signings were a disaster (Ashton aside) - Doherty, Charlton, Helveg, Jonson.

The championship year, he was lucky - remember all those last minute winners in the first few home games, and for the last 10 games the team picked itself.

This season he is showing his ineptness to make a team out of a good squad of players.  He won''t know what his best team is until after Christmas and by then it will be too late.

There is no room for sentiment in football, and as a club and supporters we cannot be sentimental about the championship season if we are to move forward.   I think Worthy should be given another 5 games to turn it round or he''s out.

OTBC

I agree to an extent.  Six games into the season is no time to get rid of a manager, but I''d give another 10 games.  If then we are still playing poorly and getting poor results then I will join the worthy out brigade, but not before.

People need to remember that whilst we haven''t played particularly well, with only a small amount of luck we would have won most of our matches so far (remember our hit-the-woodwork count is 7-8), and sides seem to be scoring with just about their only shots on target (Leeds, Coventry).  Even last night we were supposedly looking the better side and the game was there for winning when Hucks acts like a complete twot - just tell me, how is that Worthy''s fault??

Re his signings, he has spent as much money as he has been given - a pittance by any standards, and has done about as well as can be expected.  I don''t regard Charlton, Helveg and Jonson as particularly poor signings.  Just how we were going to stay up last season with a feeble transfer pot of about £2-3m is beyond me - it is a miracle we lasted out as long as going to the final game of the season.  Again, this season, it seems the only money we had to spend was what Worthy could bring in, so we are mostly scraping around for Swaps/Frees/odd £''00k players here and there - so is it a surprise they are not taking the division by storm?  A side that has just been in the Prem should not be in this position financially, and I really think something is amiss in that respect.  I just hope he manages to get a couple of decent signings in before the Window closes.