Sign in to follow this  
Reggie Strayshun

Bowkett Statement

The statement issued by Bowkett today , I find a bit of a double edged sword.On the one hand, it''s nice to have a club where the chairman can make these sort of statements almost off the cuff, and in layman''s terms, talking of his disappointments, without them being stage managed by some awful faceless PR company.But on the other, there is a degree of amateurishness to it, and ends up posing more questions than it answers. There is no doubt that it gives the impression that things have not been totally in control at CR over the last year or so; a vision of confusion and dithering is what the overriding message seems to me. He acknowledges that many fans are bewildered why ,when he now openly admits a change in Jan was needed, Adams (now the outstanding candidate it seems) was not brought in then. But really fails to answer what the thinking was, other than to say  if we''d got a couple more wins, we''d have been OK.All in all, a good thing to hear from our chairman, but a confused message, and a missed opportunity,I''m afraid.

Where is this "statement Reggie? I can''t find anything on the offy site, just a few words with Mike Bailey on the PinkUn.

[quote user="lappinitup"]Where is this "statement Reggie? I can''t find anything on the offy site, just a few words with Mike Bailey on the PinkUn.[/quote]The very one, Lapps.I''m assuming it''s some interview conducted with Archant.

[quote user="Reggie Strayshun"]All in all, a good thing to hear from our chairman, but a confused message, and a missed opportunity,I''m afraid.[/quote]The only thing that matters is the bottom line........"So David and I decided that’s it, the past is the past. We are joined

at the hip to make this a very successful football club and we are

determined to give it a real go next year to seek promotion."What''s confusing about that Reggie?

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="Reggie Strayshun"]All in all, a good thing to hear from our chairman, but a confused message, and a missed opportunity,I''m afraid.[/quote]The only thing that matters is the bottom line........"So David and I decided that’s it, the past is the past. We are joined

determined to give it a real go next year to seek promotion."What''s confusing about that Reggie?

[/quote]

little britain - I DON''T  LIKE IT Misc

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="Reggie Strayshun"]All in all, a good thing to hear from our chairman, but a confused message, and a missed opportunity,I''m afraid.[/quote]The only thing that matters is the bottom line........"So David and I decided that’s it, the past is the past. We are joined

[/quote]A bit short on specifics, don''t you think , Lapps ?

Reading between the lines it seems that the board expected Hughton to wheeze the club over the line - and then give him the heave ho. Adams ''last minute'' appointment was an act of ''we have nothing to lose.Unfortunately Bowketts comments sit ill with his earlier remark about City being comfortable (?) mid table after Xmas.The question now is did Adams do enough to convince the board that he was now the right candidate, or was the plan B (us in the Championship) one that had not seriously looked at in terms of a manager.What won''t be known is what conditions Adams asked for when taking over for those last five games, given the poison chalice that it was. Would you have taken over knowing that were City to be relegated and you then removed from the job you would have that ''failure'' as your defining reference ? A board that has shown firm control and outward unity seems to have come badly unstuck over this, and even suggests that there was an acceptance that to fulfill this idea of a yo yo club we will have to be relegated at some point so best let Hughton continue hitting the self destruction button until our PL status finally imploded.Tthe only consolation I can take from this is that if Adams did push his demands and get the job on many of the conditions he wanted then it bodes well for the future. Lambert was a player''s manager and backed them to the hilt, to the point of confrontation with board members (one in particular). Hughton was a board yes man and a petty bully towards the players.Hopefully Adams comment about bringing back the smiles were as much about Colney as about the ''terraces'' of Carrow Road.

Bowketts statement would have more credit if the whole board were new or novices. Our majority shareholders presided over the Worthington debacle when supporters were against supporters - something I hoped we would never see again - but their dilly dallying over the Hughton saga has once again turned supporters against supporters.

One thing that stood out for me was the fact that Bowkett pointed out that his wife had said it is only football and he agreed - compare this to the legendary Shankly who said it was more important than life or death and you can see why we are little ol Norwich.

Never mind only football to look forward to next season (if only).

[quote user="Nuff Said"]In what way was Hughton a "petty bully" towards the players?[/quote]

City 1st has made this bullying accusation several times and never backs his claims up with anything specific other than his usual 2+2=5 stuff.  Bullying is bullying - petty or not - and City 1st needs to be careful what he writes on a public forum if he is going to keep repeating this.   It was enough that our season was so bad overall last season without this bufoon making up and conspiracising  about things he has heard second, third or fourth hand.  You are always going to get unhappy people within a club saying things about a season that has gone wrong.  Gossip and tittle tattle turned into accusations by an arch conspiracy seeker is the act of a vulture picking over bones.....and not finding anything to eat it imagines a nice juicy bone in its head and feeds on that..........

[quote user="Reggie Strayshun"]The statement issued by Bowkett today , I find a bit of a double edged sword.On the one hand, it''s nice to have a club where the chairman can make these sort of statements almost off the cuff, and in layman''s terms, talking of his disappointments, without them being stage managed by some awful faceless PR company.But on the other, there is a degree of amateurishness to it, and ends up posing more questions than it answers. There is no doubt that it gives the impression that things have not been totally in control at CR over the last year or so; a vision of confusion and dithering is what the overriding message seems to me. He acknowledges that many fans are bewildered why ,when he now openly admits a change in Jan was needed, Adams (now the outstanding candidate it seems) was not brought in then. But really fails to answer what the thinking was, other than to say  if we''d got a couple more wins, we''d have been OK.All in all, a good thing to hear from our chairman, but a confused message, and a missed opportunity,I''m afraid.[/quote]I tend to agree, although realistically everyone knows it''s not totally in the board''s control. Nobody''s omniscient and there''s never any certainty.I do think this would have been better timed before the announcement of Adams'' other team members though. Should have got this out of the way before moving onto the new chapter, not moving on and then raking it up.

[quote user="Reggie Strayshun"][quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="Reggie Strayshun"]All in all, a good thing to hear from our chairman, but a confused message, and a missed opportunity,I''m afraid.[/quote]The only thing that matters is the bottom line........"So David and I decided that’s it, the past is the past. We are joined

[/quote]A bit short on specifics, don''t you think , Lapps ?[/quote]Yeah, I mean I don''t trust any interview where the person being interviewed isn''t utterly honest and spills everything, however confidential or sensitive that information may be.  The fact he hasn''t gone into detail clearly means there is no detail.  Bowkett out!

Quote, City1st

"Hughton was a board yes man and a petty bully towards the players."

Could you qualify this statement?

[quote user="City1st"]Reading between the lines it seems that the board expected Hughton to wheeze the club over the line - and then give him the heave ho. Adams ''last minute'' appointment was an act of ''we have nothing to lose.Unfortunately Bowketts comments sit ill with his earlier remark about City being comfortable (?) mid table after Xmas.The question now is did Adams do enough to convince the board that he was now the right candidate, or was the plan B (us in the Championship) one that had not seriously looked at in terms of a manager.What won''t be known is what conditions Adams asked for when taking over for those last five games, given the poison chalice that it was. Would you have taken over knowing that were City to be relegated and you then removed from the job you would have that ''failure'' as your defining reference ? A board that has shown firm control and outward unity seems to have come badly unstuck over this, and even suggests that there was an acceptance that to fulfill this idea of a yo yo club we will have to be relegated at some point so best let Hughton continue hitting the self destruction button until our PL status finally imploded.Tthe only consolation I can take from this is that if Adams did push his demands and get the job on many of the conditions he wanted then it bodes well for the future. Lambert was a player''s manager and backed them to the hilt, to the point of confrontation with board members (one in particular). Hughton was a board yes man and a petty bully towards the players.Hopefully Adams comment about bringing back the smiles were as much about Colney as about the ''terraces'' of Carrow Road.

[/quote]

This!

I do believe that any message from the board is being met with scepticism at the moment.

Although they do tend to make some slightly embarrassing statements in a literal sense, I don''t believe there is any intended obfuscation on appointments and the future. This is just their version of transparency.

I just think they are trying to remain within the image they portray very naturally of club first.

They don''t want to upset anybody at all and seem loathe to assume a nasty persona.

Even McInally appears a bit of a softie as opposed to his earlier image. Its the Mellow Yellow outlook of the club.

And I believe that image is just what the majority of NCFC fans want.

So I''m positive there will be many more slightly odd statements emanating from our Chairman before next season is over but keeping everyone happy will definitely not be one of his achievements.

I''d agree with all that KG. Pretty much what I was getting at in my OP. Statements like this are a bit of a mixed bag. Nice to see the club making from the heart type statements as opposed to ''toe the party line'' regurgitated stuff.My only point is that it''s a pity , if you are going to go down that line, not to flesh out the bones with a bit of detail. Because, while I''d agree with you that most NCFC fans want transparency, they''d also like a bit more by way of an explanation as to what''s been happening and how they are going to put it right.

[quote user="Reggie Strayshun"]I''d agree with all that KG. Pretty much what I was getting at in my OP. Statements like this are a bit of a mixed bag. Nice to see the club making from the heart type statements as opposed to ''toe the party line'' regurgitated stuff.My only point is that it''s a pity , if you are going to go down that line, not to flesh out the bones with a bit of detail. Because, while I''d agree with you that most NCFC fans want transparency, they''d also like a bit more by way of an explanation as to what''s been happening and how they are going to put it right.[/quote]

I think you are right in that. For once, it would have been good to see the list of applicants and why they didn''t fit the bill.

And some of the silence is may be because it would be embarrassing to reveal the truth.

[quote user="keelansgrandad"][quote user="Reggie Strayshun"]I''d agree with all that KG. Pretty much what I was getting at in my OP. Statements like this are a bit of a mixed bag. Nice to see the club making from the heart type statements as opposed to ''toe the party line'' regurgitated stuff.My only point is that it''s a pity , if you are going to go down that line, not to flesh out the bones with a bit of detail. Because, while I''d agree with you that most NCFC fans want transparency, they''d also like a bit more by way of an explanation as to what''s been happening and how they are going to put it right.[/quote]

I think you are right in that. For once, it would have been good to see the list of applicants and why they didn''t fit the bill.

And some of the silence is may be because it would be embarrassing to reveal the truth.[/quote]That is confidential information. You can''t release that. And it would put off people, particularly those in another job, applying in the future. Especially if we start listing the reasons why so snd so didn''t get the job this time. Our name would be mud in the very tight world of football.

“My wife says it’s only football, although I explained to my wife she thoroughly doesn’t understand what’s going on here. However, she is right."

Hopefully that means that no one has lost their job due to the impotence/incompetence of the Board (sic) during the, ''Shall we, shan''t we'' Hughton sacking period.

I actually admire the old definition of a crisis at 1p5wich; no more bottles of Chablis in the Boardroom. We seem unable to organise a piss up in the proverbial and Bowkett''s ''mea culpa'' seems to do little to dispel that perception.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="keelansgrandad"][quote user="Reggie Strayshun"]I''d agree with all that KG. Pretty much what I was getting at in my OP. Statements like this are a bit of a mixed bag. Nice to see the club making from the heart type statements as opposed to ''toe the party line'' regurgitated stuff.My only point is that it''s a pity , if you are going to go down that line, not to flesh out the bones with a bit of detail. Because, while I''d agree with you that most NCFC fans want transparency, they''d also like a bit more by way of an explanation as to what''s been happening and how they are going to put it right.[/quote]

And some of the silence is may be because it would be embarrassing to reveal the truth.[/quote]That is confidential information. You can''t release that. And it would put off people, particularly those in another job, applying in the future. Especially if we start listing the reasons why so snd so didn''t get the job this time. Our name would be mud in the very tight world of football.[/quote]

I respect that argument but find it strange that journalists will know but the people who support the club don''t.

The board has not covered itself in glory both by its egregious error in not sacking Chris Hughton earlier and then by pappointing an internal candidate when, arguably, their were better external candidates on the market. But, as ever in football, it all comes down to winning football matches. If we''re top after 10 games much will be forgiven. Mid table, on the other hand, and Adams position would soon become untenable.