Sign in to follow this  
splutcho

OT: Brazil 2014 World Cup

I reckon its between Germany, Spain and Belgium (...and a load of other countries) but fancy us to get to the quarters like usual and Belgium to win it. I''m starting to get more excited about the prospect of watching england again with ''the golden generation'' fading out and new talent like Barkley, Sterling and Shaw coming through.

Unless I''m mistaken, no European side has won it outside of Europe? I don''t think that''ll change this year, but would like to see Belgium do well. Not sure they''ll do brilliantly though.

Winner - Brazil

Runner Up - Argentina

Suprise Package - Japan/Colombia

Biggest Flop - Holland

Goalden Boot - Higuain

England - Quater Final

[quote user="splutcho"]Unless I''m mistaken, no European side has won it outside of Europe? I don''t think that''ll change this year, but would like to see Belgium do well. Not sure they''ll do brilliantly though.[/quote]

That''s true, and I can''t see it changing at this World Cup with Spain and Germany both on a down swing at the moment (although both will probably make the semis).

As for Belgium, they have a great squad on paper but recent results haven''t been so good (aside from a win over Luxemburg). The old problems of interal disputes and cliques are starting to happen again and some key players, such as Kompany and Fellaini have had very average seasons. I think they will get out of the group, which is relatively weak, but will then struggle against the 2nd place team in Group G (most likely Portugal or Ghana)

Think Switzerland will do much better than many people predict, they were runners up in the U21s in 2011 and many of that team are in the national team now. So really good attacking players to compliment the always well organised defence. If Drmic or Seferovic can get the goals they will do well - although will need to top France in the group stage to avoid Argentina.

World Cup fever Definetly setting in. I love the big summer tourneys. Usually some really good football and great betting opportunities. Plenty of liquidity in the Betfair markets and high street firms rolling out consessions galore.

I havnt decided on the outright winner or top goalscorer yet, I''ll be studying those over the next few days. Several months ago I had a few quid on Betfair on uraguay and chile at 40 & 66 with a view to trading out around the quarter final stage. All was looking rosey with both teams shortening up only for chile to get drawn with Spain & holland & in the same section as Brazil and Suarez hurting his knee. Both teams drifted to near the price I''d backed them at. I still think uraguay can go far without winning it and Chile can get out of there group at the expense of Spain or holland (most likely holland) and will be laying a chunk of the 2.25 about the dual forcast.

I''m looking forward to watching Belgium. It''s probably a tournament to soon for them to win. The euros in two years time could be there best chance. I''ve backed them for that firstly at 20s and again at 16s.

England havnt excited me since 1998 and still don''t. But hope they do well.

P.S. Didn''t Spain win it in South Africa?

As my Norfolk heritage is laced with Dutch ancestry, I obviously have a huge soft spot for the Netherlands. I watched a game a couple of weeks ago, and was extremely impressed with how Van Gaal had them moving the ball around - infact I can''t remember seeing a ball played one touch with such speed and precision, it was impressive stuff. Granted, there are flaws there, but like many of the other big footballing nations, there is also real quality there too so I will be keeping an eye on them. Traditionally, in recent years, there has been a history of in fighting, which has arguably seen some very decent Dutch sides on paper fail to fulfill their potential, however this doesn''t appear to be the case this time - I don''t expect them to win it this year (Argentina for me), but I will be hoping the Netherlands step it up for the tournament. I''m feeling a bit sore with Hodgson''s England at the moment to be honest, I thought the treatment of Ruddy was a disgrace - god knows how many clean sheets last season, and a loyal member of the squad for the last couple of years, to lose his place at the last minute to a goalkeeper who turned his back on England but is suddenly available for a World Cup f***s me off to be honest.

my surprise team of the tournament will be IRAN! Wont give up & a hidden package

Hopefully the hidden package wont be in the opponents changing room!!!

[quote user="CJRV 2014"]Winner - Brazil

Runner Up - Argentina

Suprise Package - Japan/Colombia

Biggest Flop - Holland

Goalden Boot - Higuain

England - Quater Final[/quote]

Holland 5 Spain 1. What a flop.

Been a great World Cup so far and I can honestly say I''ve enjoyed every single match.Even Mexico 1 Cameroon 0 was a great spectacle because of all the controversy. I used to enjoy the Premier League before City got involved and all the stress of supporting your own team etc so I hope what has been a brilliant start to this tournament isnt ruined when England take to the field tonight..

COME ON ENGLAND

and been good for attacking sides rather than those trying to sit back and defend. I certainly didnt expect to have nearly 4 goals a game so far.

Can wait for todays 4 games!

Come on england!!!

With just under a third of the games played now, has anybody''s opinion changed on who will win it? Who''s surprised you? Disappointed you?

I know a lot of teams have only played one game in there group but do you still see the groups panning out as you expected?

I am delighted that the tournament is full of attacking sides.

None of the old routine of "must not lose the opener", or "the real football starts at the knockout stage".

An impressive England win tonight and we can be well satisfied with the opening week.

Great football so far and absolutely loving it. Nearly all the good players are performing and attack seems to be winning out.

Hard to see beyond a south american team winning but think Germany and Italy (so disciplined and savvy) are most likely. Loving Columbia and Chile but still expect Argentina to improve over their 7 games

Concacaf is doing very well so far.

This is the first World Cup in decades that people haven''t been pining for success by African teams. Where did that condescending paternalism go?

I don''t know, but it may rear its head again after Nigeria winning and Ghana giving Germany a fright. Brazil and Argentina really need to step it up in the knockout stage or could face an embarrassingly early exit. So many of the smaller/less fashionable country''s are playing some great attacking football and may catch the big boys out. Been a great tournament so far.

It sure has. They all look up for it and havnt fallen out with each other yet which is usually there undoing. If they keep that harmony playing like they are they are a match for anybody.

Delighted to see the Dutch doing so well so far. Dismantled the Spanish in the second half, and had that bit about themselves against Australia where it was a ''sure, you can score, but we''ll always do just enough whatever you do'' sort of attitude. Wanted them to do well, and I think they''ll win it.

So far it has been great and then along comes Belgium and Russia. What a bore fest.

[quote user="Herman "]

So far it has been great and then along comes Belgium and Russia. What a bore fest.

[/quote]
I make that 2 really bad matches played so far. I think only Belgium/Russia and Nigeria/Iran were truly unwatchable.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]Japan v Greece was also pretty awful. Luckily most of the poor games have been the 11pm kick off ones.[/quote]
I must admit that I smiled when I saw it referred to as a ''parody match'' 

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]Japan v Greece was also pretty awful. Luckily most of the poor games have been the 11pm kick off ones.[/quote]the players are probably tired and ready for bedthey shouldn''t be playing so late

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]Brazilian teams are almost always overrated, just because they are Brazil...often because a surfeit of attacking ability obscures the lack of talent in the more humdrum areas.[/quote][:D][:''(][:D]