Sign in to follow this  
splutcho

OT: Brazil 2014 World Cup

Hopefully Pete will let this stay here as the other football forum is dead. Who''s your pick? How far will we get? Who has World Cup Fever? etc. etc.

Very excited as always about the World Cup - although tinged with saddness as this is the first one I won''t be going to since 1998.

Brazil or Argentina will win it, England will get to the Quarter finals and lose to either Spain or Brazil.

Groups C and G should be good watching as they have 4 fairly evenly matched teams. Think Germany will go out surprisingly early and Belgium won''t be as good as everyone thinks they should be (although have got a relatively easy draw).

Japan might be the most exciting team to watch this year as due to a rubbish defence they have to attack - more games like the 4-3 with Italy in the Confeds Cup to come from them.

I dont think you can look past Brazil. So strong. When people like Luis Felipe & Miranda of A.Madrid, Coutinho etc cant get in you must have strong squad. Suprisingly despite the Peles, Romario, Ronaldo etc they are lacking a world class striker to play with Neymar & Hulk. But are rightly favourites.

Argentina attacking threat of Messi, Higuain, Aguero & Di Maria who actually all start together looks frightening. But there keeper & defence aint much cop.

Spain & Germany are rightly favourites from europe.

I fancy Belgium, France & Colombia to maybe be the suprise a few.

I think England will get quaters where they would probably face Brazil or Spain.

I can''t look past Brazil winning to be honest. I''d agree I predict England to get to the quarter finals where we''ll probably get beat by Spain. I have had them creeping feelings that we could do the unthinkable and go all the way, I know it''s daft, but we look to have hit form at the right time and the likes of Sturridge, Cahill and Sterling are some severely underrated players. I''m predicting a big tournament from Cahill in particular.

Belgium should get past their group and that will make for an interesting second round match, but it''s hard to see them going past the quarters. They have a great coherent starting 11 but their inexperience will show when the big hitters like Italy and Germany do their usual at that stage after usually shaky group stages.

Argentina have the best attack (even with di santo in the squad) but they will run out of steam when the defence shows up.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

Very excited as always about the World Cup - although tinged with saddness as this is the first one I won''t be going to since 1998.

Brazil or Argentina will win it, England will get to the Quarter finals and lose to either Spain or Brazil.

Groups C and G should be good watching as they have 4 fairly evenly matched teams. Think Germany will go out surprisingly early and Belgium won''t be as good as everyone thinks they should be (although have got a relatively easy draw).

Japan might be the most exciting team to watch this year as due to a rubbish defence they have to attack - more games like the 4-3 with Italy in the Confeds Cup to come from them.

[/quote]I haven''t seen Brazil play since the last World Cup so I don''t know whether it is the case this time, but Brazilian teams are almost always overrated, just because they are Brazil.I don''t mean they are not good, necesarily, but that however good they are, they are invariably rated at least one level above where they should be.Often because a surfeit of attacking ability obscures the lack of talent in the more humdrum areas. The obvious example being the 1982 side, which was no side at all. Gifted in midfield but lacking everywhere else - in goal, in defence, on the wing and up front. Which was why it lost to a proper team.

England - knocked out in quarters

Brazil - very over rated, shoddy defence & no real tactics.. Alot of individuals just running around

Argentina - excellent attacking. poor defending

Spain - very much like Barca.. Have they been found out?

Germany - my favourites for the competition. Solid & tactically brilliant

France/ Belgium - Seen abit of these two & im very disappointed

Holland - another side very poor at the back

Nigeria - Get your money on these to concede a few goals, corners, bookings #fixed

my surprise team of the tournament will be IRAN! Wont give up & a hidden package

I love the world cup and definitely excited about whats to come.

I think argentina are my pick,  too much home pressure on brazil, but think that as usual there will be a surprise semi finalist,  could even be england (if we make it out of the group,  which I think we will, imo Uruguay are over-rated even with Suarez,  costa rica could be our trip up game) but think Cote d''Ivoire are my dark horse bet if they perform as a team.  

I am not expecting any of the big names to change their form   ronaldo, messi, rooney, neymar will all underperform their hype.   Mandzucic  my finger in the air outside bet for golden boot

Belgium should do well but inexperience and climate are against them.

Not looking forward to it all Splutcho because all foreigners are lazy and money hungry.

The World Cup is just a tournament albeit an exciting one.

England are not really a good tournament country and after Fridays uninspiring performance, it doesn''t look to me that Hodgson is prepared to take any risks to try and win just a tournament. I have grave doubts if he doesn''t put his faith in Wilshere, Lallana and Barkley that we might not even make it out of the group.

You wouldn''t bet against any of the previous winners having a realistic chance.

I think that football is cyclical and the change is already happening from possession, possession, possession to pace and aggression.

Argentina would love to put one over their hosts so I''m going for them. And dark horses for me are Uruguay.

USA to uspet a few people on their way to the semi''s.

Portugal are a 1 man team.. stop Ronaldo and they are pretty hopeless in all areas.

usual suspects to get to the knockout stages.

winners either Brazil or Germany.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

[/quote]

I haven''t seen Brazil play since the last World Cup so I don''t know whether it is the case this time, but Brazilian teams are almost always overrated, just because they are Brazil.

I don''t mean they are not good, necesarily, but that however good they are, they are invariably rated at least one level above where they should be.

Often because a surfeit of attacking ability obscures the lack of talent in the more humdrum areas. The obvious example being the 1982 side, which was no side at all. Gifted in midfield but lacking everywhere else - in goal, in defence, on the wing and up front. Which was why it lost to a proper team.

[/quote]

I think few people gave Brazil much of a chance, until the Confeds Cup last year when they performed excellently and defeated Spain (their nemisis) in the final.

They seemed well balanced and have unpredictable players in the right places.

Hopefully England will do better with less expectant pressure on them. Quarters will be good.

Germany I think will go all the way. Probably runners-up.

Highly likely one of the South American giants to win. Argentina or Brazil.

and there won''t be any suggestion of bribery or thrown games ................ or corruption in any shape or formabsolutely not, no sirreeso hooray for Mickey Mouse football

Argentina or Brazil are the obvious favourites, and I''d bet on Messi and co causing an upset by winning in their big rivals backyard.

But Portugal are my outsid bet. They have the worlds best player, possibly ever, and are ranked three in the world. Brazil also has a similar climate which counts for a lot.

How the hell are Portugal ranked 3rd in the world, ahead of Brazil ? Portugal will not win the world cup.

ronaldo and high publicity games simply continue to not go together - latest evidence being a quiet and poor game in the champs league final resulting in a john terry-esgue dive and celebration post penalty that was all about relief. He may must a good game - but not enough to take portugal beyond qf at the very best - far better teams and squads out there

There''s always a surprise team, which this year I believe could be Portugal. Ronaldo already proved he can play under pressure in big games by his hattrick against Sweden to get them qualified, and isn''t it now two Champions League finals he''s scored in, plus a ridiculous scoring record in domestic big games.

However as I said they''re still my outside bet, Argentina with the best overall strike force including three world class strikers and a world class winger is where I''m placing my money.

I reckon Bosnia Herzegovina will shock a few people this year. They''ll get out of that group and wouldn''t surprise me if they caused an upset in the last 16.

I think England will make it to the quarter finals after winning our group and beating either Japan (my second team) or Ivory Coast in the last 16.

Serious world cup fever has started now.

Sorry to be a wet blanket but I''m surprised so many people expect England to get out of its group - I''m not convinced that we have the nous to outperform Italy and Uruguay, when have we displayed that recently?

[quote user="woostercanary"]Sorry to be a wet blanket but I''m surprised so many people expect England to get out of its group - I''m not convinced that we have the nous to outperform Italy and Uruguay, when have we displayed that recently?[/quote]

Uruguay really aren''t that good, they only qualified because Brazil, as hosts, didn''t need to qualify. Uruguay just sneaked into the last qualification spot in South America (getting beaten 4-1 by Bolivia on the way) and have failed to make the most of their world class strikers. Cavani has never managed to perform well at international level and they still play on Lugano in defence. They really struggle to balance their team which is so top heavy in attacking options.

I think Italy will top the group and England will come second - although it will be a close run thing against Uruguay.

Yeah, I don''t think Uruguay are anything special. Obviously they can''t be taken lightly, especially if Suarez is in the team but I don''t see them as being a better side than England.

In the last World Cup & Euros England has:

beaten - Sweden, Ukraine & Slovenia

drawn with - France, USA & Algeria

lost to - Italy & Germany.

I think Uruguay are probably between France/USA (the draws, ignoring a poor result against Algeria) and Italy/Germany (when we lost).

Playing in South America should give Uruguay an advantage, hence my pessimism.

I hope I''m wrong.

[quote user="splutcho"]I reckon Bosnia Herzegovina will shock a few people this year. They''ll get out of that group and wouldn''t surprise me if they caused an upset in the last 16. I think England will make it to the quarter finals after winning our group and beating either Japan (my second team) or Ivory Coast in the last 16. Serious world cup fever has started now.[/quote]

Out of interest, why are Japan your second team? Personal connection or just enjoy them as a team?