Sign in to follow this  
Mr Grumpy

Grabban Signs

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]Perhaps £2.5m for mcgoldrick is our next signing should one of existing three depart...[/quote]You could certainly do much, much worse.But if Grabban is worth £3m then McGoldrick - a guy that''s capable of creating AND scoring goals has to be worth £4m+

At £3m we''re Grabban a bargain. Portman, your lot are clutching at straws.

"If Grabban - a hard-working technically limited player is worth £3m then heaven knows what David McGoldrick must be worth!"

Talking of technically limited players, how''s big Frank these days? Or "Donkey" Murphy for that matter? Two mid to lower Championship strikers there, that''s a given. 

McGoldrick  is just not as good as his elevation by the Portaloo faithful might suggest either.

Half the time he seems not to bother and frequently disappears, especially away from home (according to some on TWTD) and will likely jump ship as soon as a better wage deal is put to him. You won''t get your imagined price for him either as he seems like a player who will react badly if he is refused a decent move to a club with genuine prospects and a more generous wage-structure.

[quote user="Fuzzar"]At £3m we''re Grabban a bargain. Portman, your lot are clutching at straws.[/quote]

Interesting line in the BBC report;

Norwich City sign Lewis Grabban from Bournemouth

Championship-bound Norwich City have signed striker Lewis Grabban from Bournemouth for an undisclosed fee.

The 26-year-old, who scored 22 goals in the second tier this season, had a £3m release clause in the Cherries contract he signed in January.

But the Canaries have not necessarily had to match that amount.

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]

"If Grabban - a hard-working technically limited player is worth £3m then heaven knows what David McGoldrick must be worth!"

Talking of technically limited players, how''s big Frank these days? Or "Donkey" Murphy for that matter? Two mid to lower Championship strikers there, that''s a given. 

McGoldrick  is just not as good as his elevation by the Portaloo faithful might suggest either.

Half the time he seems not to bother and frequently disappears, especially away from home (according to some on TWTD) and will likely jump ship as soon as a better wage deal is put to him. You won''t get your imagined price for him either as he seems like a player who will react badly if he is refused a decent move to a club with genuine prospects and a more generous wage-structure.

[/quote]Would that be "Donkey" Murphy that''s just been recalled to the Ireland squad? He''s in the form of his life now actually.As for Nouble, yes, he''s frankly appalling and shouldn''t be anywhere near our starting XI.But you couldn''t be anymore wrong about McGoldrick. He''s not a character that will throw his toys out of the pram, McCarthy wouldn''t have anyone in the squad that does that. As for turning up and ''frequently disappearing''... I don''t think 14 goals and numerous assists in half a season equates to ''disappearing''.Our previously "generous wage structure" did nothing for us, so I''m not worried if someone doesn''t want to play for the ITFC shirt and would prefer to chase an extra few G''s.

Portman King - I think the reality is that we won;t be "spunking cash" and i am not sure we need to. We will sell £12-15m worth of players this summer so will probably end up making a profit.

My own view is that we have a good squad and a squad that if managed properly should have been nowhere near relegation last season.l I feel we can lose 5 or 6 from that squad and the remaining players should still be good enough for a promotion challenge next season. Hopefully the key is losing the right ones (Bassong, RVW) and (whilst one or two will inevitably go who we would prefer to stay) keep a couple of those we want to keep (Redmond, Snod, Hooper and Ruddy) then I think we will do quite well.

I think the team Adams was playing toward the end of last season will not be far off what we have available to us at the start of this season and as such it only need to be supplemented by 2 or 3 quality additions, especially as being the the champ means there is more scope to play the Murphys and perhaps some of the other youth products.

[quote user="Jim Smith"]Portman King - I think the reality is that we won;t be "spunking cash" and i am not sure we need to. We will sell £12-15m worth of players this summer so will probably end up making a profit.

My own view is that we have a good squad and a squad that if managed properly should have been nowhere near relegation last season.l I feel we can lose 5 or 6 from that squad and the remaining players should still be good enough for a promotion challenge next season. Hopefully the key is losing the right ones (Bassong, RVW) and (whilst one or two will inevitably go who we would prefer to stay) keep a couple of those we want to keep (Redmond, Snod, Hooper and Ruddy) then I think we will do quite well.

I think the team Adams was playing toward the end of last season will not be far off what we have available to us at the start of this season and as such it only need to be supplemented by 2 or 3 quality additions, especially as being the the champ means there is more scope to play the Murphys and perhaps some of the other youth products.[/quote]You could say either they weren''t properly managed or they simply didn''t have the heart and pride in your shirt. I would probably say a little bit of both, which means I would be wanting quite a significant overhaul of that squad if I was an NCFC fan.It would be very refreshing to see you bring through some of your own Academy products for a change!

"Would that be "Donkey" Murphy that''s just been recalled to the Ireland squad? He''s in the form of his life now actually."

Gosh! Was that the full Ireland squad then?

Correct me if I''m wrong but wasn''t he a bench-sitter whilst two of our own reserves were starring on the field of play?

Well i think the 4 strikers will be next season

Hooper

Grabban

Loza

And 1 to come in

[quote user="portman_king"][quote user="Jim Smith"]Portman King - I think the reality is that we won;t be "spunking cash" and i am not sure we need to. We will sell £12-15m worth of players this summer so will probably end up making a profit.

I think the team Adams was playing toward the end of last season will not be far off what we have available to us at the start of this season and as such it only need to be supplemented by 2 or 3 quality additions, especially as being the the champ means there is more scope to play the Murphys and perhaps some of the other youth products.[/quote]You could say either they weren''t properly managed or they simply didn''t have the heart and pride in your shirt. I would probably say a little bit of both, which means I would be wanting quite a significant overhaul of that squad if I was an NCFC fan.It would be very refreshing to see you bring through some of your own Academy products for a change![/quote]

Not sure what you mean by "for a change" - can''t really think of many of yours who have come through and made it in recent years. In a funny way our relegation has come at a good time for a few of the FA Youth Cup winning team as they would prob have not got a chance in the prem but i suspect we will see the Murphy''s featuring next season as well as Morris. Also Loza and a couple of the other U21 players we pilfered from Rangers will get a look in.

No lack of heart in the side that finished the season. Thats why we need to offload a few of the foreign brigade (Bassong, RVW and to a lesser extent Fer although he''s potentially so good I could overlook his laid back attitude) and try and keep Ruddy, Redmond, Olsson and Snodgrass. I really feel that too big a player turnover would be a major mistake. There was not a lot wrong with our squad last season we just kept on an awful manager for far too long and he sucked the life out of the club,

Portman, there are often fine lines between success and faliure, and we were just short of survival last year, so I wouldn''t say we should do the ''complete overhaul'' route.

Also McGoldrick got 16 goals, not 22. Whilst similar players, McGoldrick is a bit short of Grabban in my opinion, maybe a £2m player at most.

I was interested to see Clinton Morrison defend Grabban from some Bournemouth fan on twitter calling him a money grabber by saying he turned down Brighton. Morrison very nearly joined us and thinks highly of our set up as he just confirmed to me. I bet he''s probably helped advise Grabban to join us even though he probably had the same if not more money offered from elsewhere.

[quote user="TCCANARY"]

[quote user="Fuzzar"]At £3m we''re Grabban a bargain. Portman, your lot are clutching at straws.[/quote]

Interesting line in the BBC report;

Norwich City sign Lewis Grabban from Bournemouth

Championship-bound Norwich City have signed striker Lewis Grabban from Bournemouth for an undisclosed fee.

The 26-year-old, who scored 22 goals in the second tier this season, had a £3m release clause in the Cherries contract he signed in January.

But the Canaries have not necessarily had to match that amount.

[/quote]

perhaps we have offered to make it up based on goals and games.. if he never plays the games and never scores the goals we never pay the rest of the money?

Although £3m is an awful lot of money for a player of his technical ability, we need someone with a bit of pace and has scored a good few in the championship. Good first signing imo and will be a very good addition to the squad (hope that price tag was worth it though).

[quote user="Dave"]Well i think the 4 strikers will be next season Hooper Grabban Loza And 1 to come in[/quote]

I dont think we can run with Loza (or morris) as one of our 4 strikers - too risky for a full season for such an unproven youngster,  have him as a key part if the squad with plenty of bench time definitely,  but I would want 4 options as well as the youngsters

All of a sudden, a thread about an exciting new signing of a goalscorer in the league we are playing in turns into a squabble with posters from a different club.

Not even 24 hours gone and already some are defending the signing with people who have no interest in it at all apart from maybe jealousy or perhaps fear.

Can we somehow all agree that it is a positive step to addressing our major problem last season.

I''m just waiting for Reggie Strayshun to ask why we didn''t sign him in Janaury. [:)]

[quote user="portman_king"]Our previously "generous wage structure" did nothing for us[/quote]Your "generous wage structure" was only possible because you knocked Norwich Union for £25m and even your own shareholders investments became worthless when Evans took over. Hardly in a position to advise us on how to spend our money and what players are worth. Ok, we will probably lose money on RVW but..............we can afford to. [:D]ps. Missing you on the other thread where you were telling us what a good hearted chap Mr Evans was and how much he loves you! [:S].

[quote user="TCCANARY"]

I''m just waiting for Reggie Strayshun to ask why we didn''t sign him in Janaury. [:)]

[/quote]

This appears to have been on the cards for a month or so. Grabban followed Ruddy and Elliot Bennett on Twitter back in late April?

Today, Ruddy tweeted:-

Good to see us making strides to get straight back up, welcome to the club @grabbs22 #goals

Elliot tweeted:-

Welcome to @NorwichCityFC @grabbs22 #Goals don''t worry @TommyElph4 il look after him

Good news, no, Great news. He''s coming to his peak.

All we need now is one or two new midfielders who can supply strikers properly, and perhaps train up the rest!

I don''t know a huge deal about him really other than the occasional highlight on the football league show and what wikipedia says. But £3mil (or less) for a striker who scored 22 in the championship last season is reasonable business when they''re only 26. From what I hear about him, he seems like the sort of player we need - a bit of hussle and mobility, something which certainly RVW and even Hooper didn''t offer all that much of last season.

If we can keep hold of one of those two, then we don''t need another striker with huge amounts of technical ability - we need someone who can do the hard work next to them.

[quote user="Michael Starr"]This appears to have been on the cards for a month or so. Grabban followed Ruddy and Elliot Bennett on Twitter back in late April? Today, Ruddy tweeted:- Good to see us making strides to get straight back up, welcome to the club @grabbs22 #goals Elliot tweeted:- Welcome to @NorwichCityFC @grabbs22 #Goals don''t worry @TommyElph4 il look after him[/quote]

I''ve just decided to follow Ruddy & Bennett on twitter, every time my ''phone goes I''m going to be convinced it''s Neil offering me a 3 year deal.

[quote user="mrs miggins"]Although £3m is an awful lot of money for a player of his technical ability, we need someone with a bit of pace and has scored a good few in the championship. Good first signing imo and will be a very good addition to the squad (hope that price tag was worth it though).[/quote]

22 goals in the division with some pace has to be worth a couple of million these days.

You can make a fast player better...... but a slow one will never become fast so pace is one of those attributes I would always pay extra for.

Champs level defenders are not as fast as the premier league and they make mistakes so with a good team around him this guy is going to score a ton.

There cannot be a better feeling than being away from home and under pressure....someone makes a cock up and boom nicked goal. We never had any pace last season so we never got anything we did not deserve.

I can''t say I''m as excited as some on here and I don''t see this Potential that some are talking about, he''s 26 and at his peek!

For me a good solid start but means we will see the likes of RVW & Hooper departing, so we are starting to structure for the champioship with good players at this level wanting to prove themselves again which is great news to me.

Welcome on board!

[quote user="TCCANARY"]

[/quote]My God. I really do get under your skin, TCC and Nigel, don''t I ? I''d hate to be your missus. Poor woman..she must be treading on eggshells all the time.On the face of it the Grabban signing looks to be a superb one. Gives out all the right messages, and if we can sort the midfield out to supply him with the ammo, he will score a hatful for us.

[quote user="portman_king"][quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]Perhaps £2.5m for mcgoldrick is our next signing should one of existing three depart...[/quote]You could certainly do much, much worse.But if Grabban is worth £3m then McGoldrick - a guy that''s capable of creating AND scoring goals has to be worth £4m+[/quote]
Assists for the 2013/14 season:
Grabban- 5
McGoldrick- 4
[:D]

Not every player peaks in there early twenties.

Surely we''ve realised that with the liked of Holt/Lambert in recent years