Sign in to follow this  
Mr Grumpy

Grabban Signs

[quote user="portman_king"][quote user="TCCANARY"]

[quote user="portman_king"]Led the line well for the Cherries last year, but we''ll see whether Grabban was just well suited to Bournemouth or whether he is a late developer.Rather gangly and ungainly like Steve Morison. Personally, I wouldn''t have paid £3m for him, as I''m not sure he''d replicate his form at Bournemouth elsewhere. I don''t think any Championship fan expected him to be up the top end of the goalscoring charts in 2013/14.[/quote]

Let face it you''ll not be buying £3M players for a long time.

[/quote]

And if you think a £3m price tag means they''ll be a great player then you''re mistaken, my friend.

[/quote]

It may well go tits up, as it did at £8.5m but he''s decent value at £3m. Of the top 5 scorers, McCormack looks like going to Newcastle for £6m, Rhodes and Deeney are quoted at £7m+ and Martin is off to the premiership.

Money does offer a better chance of success though or else why would teams bother spend it?

Ha! Why do I get the feeling that whoever we sign, our Ipswich supporting friend Cort will be trying to convince himself that it''s not a good signing?

He must think a lot of us - from what ive been hearing he wanted to join a premier league side so he must think we have a chance of going up.

I think he will play well against Hooper

Bye bye wolfy?

He is also a very hard working player, bundles of energy. I''m going to ask my mate Gareth who works for AFCB for his views on him and post what he says here.

[quote user="portman_king"][quote user="TCCANARY"][quote user="portman_king"][quote user="TCCANARY"]

[quote user="portman_king"]Led the line well for the Cherries last year, but we''ll see whether Grabban was just well suited to Bournemouth or whether he is a late developer.

Rather gangly and ungainly like Steve Morison. Personally, I wouldn''t have paid £3m for him, as I''m not sure he''d replicate his form at Bournemouth elsewhere. I don''t think any Championship fan expected him to be up the top end of the goalscoring charts in 2013/14.
[/quote]

[/quote]

And if you think a £3m price tag means they''ll be a great player then you''re mistaken, my friend.

[/quote]

No, I''m just pointing out how skint you are, you''re looking for Bosman''s and swaps.

[/quote]

Our team of Bosman''s and swaps did reasonably well last season so if we can improve on that we''ll be doing just fine.

I wouldn''t crow too loud just yet.
[/quote]

That''s OK if you want to set you standard at a bit better than ''reasonably well'', I think we have more ambition that that.

we need 4 strikers and grabban has shown he can peform in the champs.     Even if we dont sign another striker we now have 3 strikers on the books who have scored reguarly in the champs and one who has at this level.    If one leaves we simply need to replace with similar quality.

Yes we still need an approach that will give the strikers chances - but the 4 options we have are excellent and offer different skills,  with the exception of an outright target man.

No one is pretending he is a great signing,   but he is a good fit & cost effectively strengthens the squad.

Now - that extra centre back... 

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"][quote user="portman_king"][quote user="TCCANARY"]

[quote user="portman_king"]Led the line well for the Cherries last year, but we''ll see whether Grabban was just well suited to Bournemouth or whether he is a late developer.Rather gangly and ungainly like Steve Morison. Personally, I wouldn''t have paid £3m for him, as I''m not sure he''d replicate his form at Bournemouth elsewhere. I don''t think any Championship fan expected him to be up the top end of the goalscoring charts in 2013/14.[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

It may well go tits up, as it did at £8.5m but he''s decent value at £3m. Of the top 5 scorers, McCormack looks like going to Newcastle for £6m, Rhodes and Deeney are quoted at £7m+ and Martin is off to the premiership.

Money does offer a better chance of success though or else why would teams bother spend it?[/quote]Not many teams - if any - that spunk cash in the Championship are instantly successful with it. Leicester took 4 seasons to get it right, Cardiff took just as many seasons if not more (Yes, you could say we did and didn''t get ANY success!). You only have to look at the likes of Burnley, Crystal Palace and Stoke (and even your side when you went up last time) to see that it''s not and never has been about individuals in this division.

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]Hard working forward sounds good! We''ve missed that! Is he basically James Vaughan without the injuries?[/quote]Not a bad analogy.I''d say he''s more of a Steve Morison than a Vaughan.

[quote user="Daz Sparks"]Where does it say the fee is £3?

I can''t seem to find it anywhere, any else know?[/quote]Grabban had a 3m release clause at Bournemouth.

That''s a very promising start.  Out of the blue.  Well done Neil Adams and the club.Something positive!

[quote user="Green and Yellow fellow"]With Hooper and Grabban we have two players in which we know can get over 20 goals each next season.

At least that''s a couple of boxes ticked! I wonder who''ll we be looking to next.[/quote]or Becchio who can get 20 in half a season in the Championship.

[quote user="portman_king"][quote user="Jimmy Smith"][quote user="portman_king"][quote user="TCCANARY"]

[quote user="portman_king"]Led the line well for the Cherries last year, but we''ll see whether Grabban was just well suited to Bournemouth or whether he is a late developer.

Rather gangly and ungainly like Steve Morison. Personally, I wouldn''t have paid £3m for him, as I''m not sure he''d replicate his form at Bournemouth elsewhere. I don''t think any Championship fan expected him to be up the top end of the goalscoring charts in 2013/14.
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote] It may well go tits up, as it did at £8.5m but he''s decent value at £3m. Of the top 5 scorers, McCormack looks like going to Newcastle for £6m, Rhodes and Deeney are quoted at £7m+ and Martin is off to the premiership. Money does offer a better chance of success though or else why would teams bother spend it?[/quote]

Not many teams - if any - that spunk cash in the Championship are instantly successful with it. Leicester took 4 seasons to get it right, Cardiff took just as many seasons if not more (Yes, you could say we did and didn''t get ANY success!).

You only have to look at the likes of Burnley, Crystal Palace and Stoke (and even your side when you went up last time) to see that it''s not and never has been about individuals in this division.
[/quote]

You''re only saying that because you having got any cash, QPR & Newcastle did OK.

CortWankIn is just like most binners nowadays. They have to continually gyrate mentally to squeeze every little positive that they can glean from the mess that their lot are in whilst doing the very same to squeeze every little negative about NCFC.

Binland would die for a Grabban type signing and he has been pin-pointed enough on their various forums as a player that they would want. Now we have signed him they grasp at any negatives they can dream up. He waffles on about the player like a well-informed scout yet I doubt that he has hardly seen him in action. Bullshit.

We seem to have done well there and £3m is hardly breaking our bank, especially as it seems probable that a decent amount of this might have come from a Surman deal ... one of our cast-offs.

"I wouldn''t pay £3m for him." Quote.

I ask you. Does it get any more surreal?

£3M is not the magnitude of fee that will trouble many clubs or supporters. The contract that is agreed henceforth is where the real money is consumed.

I think that in the current situation we find ourselves this signing constitutes a decent move. Also fresh faces and a new manager/coaching team can only mean optimism, yes?

Thanks for the info Ippo :p

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]

CortWankIn is just like most binners nowadays. They have to continually gyrate mentally to squeeze every little positive that they can glean from the mess that their lot are in whilst doing the very same to squeeze every little negative about NCFC.

Binland would die for a Grabban type signing and he has been pin-pointed enough on their various forums as a player that they would want. Now we have signed him they grasp at any negatives they can dream up. He waffles on about the player like a well-informed scout yet I doubt that he has hardly seen him in action. Bullshit.

We seem to have done well there and £3m is hardly breaking our bank, especially as it seems probable that a decent amount of this might have come from a Surman deal ... one of our cast-offs.

"I wouldn''t pay £3m for him." Quote.

I ask you. Does it get any more surreal?

[/quote]I certainly would not die for a Grabban-type signing. We had no problems scoring goals anyway last season.If Grabban - a hard-working technically limited player is worth £3m then heaven knows what David McGoldrick must be worth!I''m not ''grasping at negatives'', I''m merely telling it how it is. Good luck to him, but I don''t think it''s a very inspired signing. He''ll serve you reasonably well in the Championship.

[quote user="TCCANARY"][quote user="portman_king"][quote user="Jimmy Smith"][quote user="portman_king"][quote user="TCCANARY"]

[/quote]

[/quote] It may well go tits up, as it did at £8.5m but he''s decent value at £3m. Of the top 5 scorers, McCormack looks like going to Newcastle for £6m, Rhodes and Deeney are quoted at £7m+ and Martin is off to the premiership. Money does offer a better chance of success though or else why would teams bother spend it?[/quote]Not many teams - if any - that spunk cash in the Championship are instantly successful with it. Leicester took 4 seasons to get it right, Cardiff took just as many seasons if not more (Yes, you could say we did and didn''t get ANY success!). You only have to look at the likes of Burnley, Crystal Palace and Stoke (and even your side when you went up last time) to see that it''s not and never has been about individuals in this division.[/quote]

You''re only saying that because you having got any cash, QPR & Newcastle did OK.

[/quote]

QPR and Newcastle came down with Premier League squads and barely needed to spend a penny.

Hooper Becchio and Grabban sound great to me.

Hooper, Grabban and Deeney would be amazing.

Sell Wolfswinkel and get a few million back + get him off the wage bill.

Yes he''s bound to be getting a sizeable pay rise but more evidence that our new manager has ideas and is prepared to work hard to implement them. This signing has surprised most posters on here (me included) - perhaps we shouldn''t even assume RVW is a cert departure.

[quote user="portman_king"][quote user="TCCANARY"][quote user="portman_king"][quote user="Jimmy Smith"][quote user="portman_king"][quote user="TCCANARY"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote] It may well go tits up, as it did at £8.5m but he''s decent value at £3m. Of the top 5 scorers, McCormack looks like going to Newcastle for £6m, Rhodes and Deeney are quoted at £7m+ and Martin is off to the premiership. Money does offer a better chance of success though or else why would teams bother spend it?[/quote]

Not many teams - if any - that spunk cash in the Championship are instantly successful with it. Leicester took 4 seasons to get it right, Cardiff took just as many seasons if not more (Yes, you could say we did and didn''t get ANY success!).

You only have to look at the likes of Burnley, Crystal Palace and Stoke (and even your side when you went up last time) to see that it''s not and never has been about individuals in this division.
[/quote]

[/quote]

QPR and Newcastle came down with Premier League squads and barely needed to spend a penny.

[/quote]

Yes, they spent their cash on maintaining their squads.

You''ll just have to face up to the facts, we''re in the shop buying sweeties, you''re outside drooling on the window, get used to it.

Totally agree, Hooper, Becchio and Grabban plus Loza sounds good to go!

[quote user="ReadingCanary"]Hooper Becchio and Grabban sound great to me.

Sell Wolfswinkel and get a few million back + get him off the wage bill.[/quote]

Really?

Personally I''d like to see RvW stay, get played properly and come good.

Seen nothing in either Becchio or Hooper that seems to indicate anything "amazing".

[quote user="TCCANARY"][quote user="portman_king"][quote user="TCCANARY"][quote user="portman_king"][quote user="Jimmy Smith"][quote user="portman_king"][quote user="TCCANARY"]

[/quote]

[/quote] It may well go tits up, as it did at £8.5m but he''s decent value at £3m. Of the top 5 scorers, McCormack looks like going to Newcastle for £6m, Rhodes and Deeney are quoted at £7m+ and Martin is off to the premiership. Money does offer a better chance of success though or else why would teams bother spend it?[/quote]Not many teams - if any - that spunk cash in the Championship are instantly successful with it. Leicester took 4 seasons to get it right, Cardiff took just as many seasons if not more (Yes, you could say we did and didn''t get ANY success!). You only have to look at the likes of Burnley, Crystal Palace and Stoke (and even your side when you went up last time) to see that it''s not and never has been about individuals in this division.[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Yes, they spent their cash on maintaining their squads.

You''ll just have to face up to the facts, we''re in the shop buying sweeties, you''re outside drooling on the window, get used to it.

[/quote]LOL!The term delusions of grandeur doesn''t even come close...

You can''t afford to have any delusion, your skint, now get back from the window you making a mess.

Perhaps £2.5m for mcgoldrick is our next signing should one of existing three depart...

[quote user="BigFish"][quote user="ReadingCanary"]Hooper Becchio and Grabban sound great to me.

Sell Wolfswinkel and get a few million back + get him off the wage bill.[/quote]

Really?

We know Becchio can score in the Championship

I believe Hooper has the physical strength for the Champ.

Just not sure RVW is the right kind of build for this league.

And we have Loza aswell

Personally I''d like to see RvW stay, get played properly and come good.

Seen nothing in either Becchio or Hooper that seems to indicate anything "amazing".[/quote]