Sign in to follow this  
Tetteys Jig

Compared to our thoughts at the start of the season, that "Tough Run In" isn't as tough as it was made out

We''ve done Liverpool, the ones doing better than expected. Now we have Chelsea, Man U and Arsenal.

Without discussing our virtues, look at them.

Chelsea we expected to be fighting for the title as they are, what we didn''t expect, Cech and Terry injured, none of their strikers doing well and recently giving away their home record. Not to mention the fact they might throw the title away before we play them and therefore not really have much to play for.

Man U - team we expected to drop maybe a bit after they won the title and SAF left, but not this much and notably not at home either. While this weekends events might give the players a kick up the bum they need, it might just have the opposite effect like Man City last year and they start thinking about getting their towels on loungers early in Brazil.

Arsenal - We expected them to build on consistent seasons in the top 4 after they spent £40m on Ozil. The fact is they haven''t, hopefully they can sort their race for 4th either way by then and they will then be focussed on the FA cup as they don''t want that trophyless streak to go any longer.

I know we still have to beat them and it''s a big ask given our current form etc but perhaps we''re overestimating the task ahead of us?

Now I am definately a "half full" person, but...." perhaps we''re overestimating the task ahead of us? "......definately not.

Let''s face it, when that final whistle blew at Fulham, we all thought that''s it though. I''d certainly not entertained the idea of getting anything from these last four games. I just wonder how invincible these sides are. The bookies still certainly think we''ll likely lose both the next two at least anyway (8''s and 12''s being offered!). If we show up from the start like we did second half versus Liverpool with the likes of Luiz and Smalling vulnerable, we could sneak something. No doubting the midfield talent of Chelsea and the Man U strikers, but everyone has quiet days if nobody can get the ball to them. I guess we''ll see how much the players want it still.

We definitely blew our best chances against WBA and Fulham, but there is ALWAYS a chance of beating one of the top teams . Football isn''t played on paper and anything can happen on the day.

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]We''ve done Liverpool, the ones doing better than expected. Now we have Chelsea, Man U and Arsenal.

Without discussing our virtues, look at them.

Chelsea we expected to be fighting for the title as they are, what we didn''t expect, Cech and Terry injured, none of their strikers doing well and recently giving away their home record. Not to mention the fact they might throw the title away before we play them and therefore not really have much to play for.

Man U - team we expected to drop maybe a bit after they won the title and SAF left, but not this much and notably not at home either. While this weekends events might give the players a kick up the bum they need, it might just have the opposite effect like Man City last year and they start thinking about getting their towels on loungers early in Brazil.

Arsenal - We expected them to build on consistent seasons in the top 4 after they spent £40m on Ozil. The fact is they haven''t, hopefully they can sort their race for 4th either way by then and they will then be focussed on the FA cup as they don''t want that trophyless streak to go any longer.

I know we still have to beat them and it''s a big ask given our current form etc but perhaps we''re overestimating the task ahead of us?[/quote]

Adding to this Chelsea may well have one eye on a European final by the time we play them so will be resting key players and not wanting injuries either.

Man Utd will be fresh from losing Moyes and how effective will Giggs actually be? Sure he''ll have the backing of the players but his first game in change won''t be easy.

The fat lady hasn''t sung yet. It''s going to be very tough to remain in the Premiership I agree but i''m not writing us off completely yet. I''m more confident that I would be had we Hughton still in charge.