Sign in to follow this  
Tetteys Jig

"Top 4" Clause in Moyes' contract

I see it''s been thought that there was a clause in Moyes contract stating that he could be sacked if Man U fail to reach the top 4 in any of his seasons.

It got me thinking, I touched on this a while ago and got shot down. Perhaps there was a clause in Hughtons contract stating that if we get into the bottom three, he could be sacked for less/ no compo?

It''d shed some llight on why we stuck around with him for so long and also suggests that we were indeed a bit unfortunate to beat West Ham a few months ago and keep us out of the bottom three where he could have been sacked easily.

Yeah I''m pretty sure thats true from who I know mutually through the club. If we''d have sacked Hughton if we got in the bottom 3, we would have to pay him peanuts compared to what we did apparently. However, you can never fully trust these people working within the club

Just shows how annoying that run in is. We''re in a very false 17th position at the moment. We would feel like we were in a very different position if we had say Crystal Palace, Hull and Newcastle left.

I doubt compensation was a decisive factor.  Relative to staying in the Premier League and the income it provides, it''s a small amount.For whatever reason, the board were unable to appoint a suitable replacement during the season, while we still had a chance. 

Pretty boring excuse really, just like the one for not signing a number 10 in January.

I know it''s not Football Manager, but surely we should have had our fingers in more pies than that one collapsed deal. Even a "panic buy" would have been better than nothing. This years Kei Kamara, who might well prove he was the marginal difference we needed last season. He perked some of the misfiring strikers up, Holt included and contributed a bit himself. Even if he''s shown this season he is not the long term answer (4 championship goals) he was a very good short term answer.

We gambled doing nothing and look likely to lose.

I see a lot of similarities between the Moyes and Hughton sackings - both were underperforming but doing just enough to avoid being sacked.  With Moyes Man U were at an unacceptably low level, for them, but he got extra leeway because they didn''t want to sack a manager quickly I think. 

Hughton kept us at a just-about-ok level of a point per game until we lost at Villa.  I think in hindsight it was defeat there, at a team with an appalling home record, where we crumbled after taking a rare early lead, that dented confidence in the team, and started a slump where we had 6 games with just one win (home vs a very poor Sunderland) one draw and four defeats, all from "winnable" games.  The board at that point decided enough was enough, and that our chances of survival were better with a stopgap appointment like Adams than with Hughton who seemed to be going downhill.

For Moyes it was going out of the CL which did for him; again enough was enough.  I''m sure the contract clause has made a difference, reducing the payout to £5m rather than the £25m it would have cost them for the 5 years left on his contract.  But I think the basic problem was that they felt the manager was, like Hughton, going backwards not forwards, and it was better to cut their losses and bring in a stopgap for the rest of the season, rather than see things get worse. 

Also never mind Kei Kamara last year - I think if we''d had him this year, it would have been a help !  I certainly think he would have contributed more on the pitch than RVW or Elmander (who knows about Becchio).  The sort of player who makes things happen - which we''ve really been missing this year.