Sign in to follow this  
Stangerz

Malky MacKay looking for house in Norfolk!!!

[quote user="Branston Pickle"]...perhaps it might have even better to start in a way that didn''t stand off them and gift them a 2-0 lead in the first place?[/quote]

Indeed, the crowd are strangely tolerant of such things now.

I think they are tolerant of it because there is an expectation now that when we go behind we will still fight and try to get back into the game, and we might actually do it!

Yes Adams got his tactics wrong, yes he got punished for it, but he didn''t roll over and do nothing, he changed it up, instilled some belief, and we came but one bad pass away from coming from 2 goals down against the league leaders to get a point.

How often did we look like getting something from a game, especially against top 6 opposition, when we went behind under Hughton? How often did we?

I really don''t understand why some people are continuing to beat the Hughton drum, he''s gone...why wouldn''t the crowd give a new manager some slack? especially against the free scoring league leaders we''ve shipped 5 goals to in each of our previous 3 games.

[quote user="lake district canary"]Just had a look at his history, and found this - "Following the success of his first season in Wales, Mackay was reportedly one of the candidates to replace Paul Lambert at Norwich City,

however on 4 June 2012, Mackay turned down the offer to return to his

former club
and said he was fully committed to Cardiff City". A bit surprised at this - is this common knowledge or has someone put two and two together and made five?

[/quote]

I have heard from a pretty good source that he has spoken to Norwich since leaving Cardiff, but apparently wanted to keep his options open to see what other vacancies would be available over the summer. Specifically he was holding out for the Villa job should Lambert get the elbow.

[quote user="Herman "]

[quote user="Bury Yellow"]Bury Yellow wrote: I just hope this is wrong. Malky was a great player for us but if we do replace Adams I don''t want an ex player. If this is the boards thinking than it has the hands of our majority shareholders on the recruitment tiller and do I not like that!! Bowkett and McNally have both said they''re the best owners in the business but what do they know? Huh? [:^)] Well I could say ''they would say that wouldn''t they''? but I won''t. I appreciate they are great supporters of our club but I much prefer it when they let Bowkett and McNally run the show. This they obviously did but not sure now. Just my opinion. We are all supporters and allowed our points of view. [/quote]

I don''t get this. When things are going well Bowkett and McNally are running the show. When the poo hits the fan Delia and Michael are. I know it''s just your opinion, but........

[/quote]Herman, the explanation is that a very few posters have a virulent anti-Smith and Jones agenda that means they can be allowed the credit for nothing and the blame for everything. Now opinions are fine if they are based on facts, but this particular opinion needs various inconvenient facts to be ignored or changed.So, for example, it is generally agreed McNally was a good choice as chief executive. But Smith and Jones cannot possibly be given credit for that, even though all the evidence is that he was their choice, based on Roy Hodgson''s advice. Instead, somehow, Alan Bowkett picked McNally, even though he had been working at Carrow Road as CEO for a whole month before Bowkett agreed to be chairman!And the period of success with Worthington provides a real dilemma. That cannot be attributed to Smith and Jones, so it has to have been down to the chief executive, right? But that was Neil Doncaster, who was a total idiot, acording to this extremist fringe. He must have been, by definition, because he was Smith and Jones'' choice. And they cannot get anything right. So who to give the credit to? My money is on the tea lady...Anyway, as to Mackay, if the argument, such as it is, is that he would be another sentimental Smith and Jones choice, then that doesn''t hold up. Appointing Gunn was such a choice. As was his reappointment. Both bad decisions. But Mackay is a tough and experienced manager with a good track record, who would be picked on that, and not because he used to play for us.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]Gunn, Adams, malky....

I think the board should stop now.....[/quote]

The 1-7 was a killer blow, but the facts were that Gunn struggled with a team that were on their way down - a team full of loanees and low in confidence.  Put together a new squad for the following season and it got caught like rabbits in headlights at the Colchester game.   The decision to keep him on into that season was imo a pragmatic one - he had the experience of ex-manager Deehan with him and a coach we all thought was excellent in Ian Crook - and he had to rebuild a squad from scratch.    So I do not blame the board for that.  The 1-7 was historic watershed and it was no surprise he was sacked after that, but if we had played a lesser team that day and scraped a 1-1 or something, we might have built on that and history may have been different.  It might have worked given time, but in a way that 1-7 was a club changing match, in every sense of the word. Adams has more about him - and he has the success of the youth team on his cv - so that decision holds up.  If they appoint Malky, well he wouldn''t be my choice, but you would have to give him time to see what he would do before saying the board have got it wrong.   Appointing from within a club is preferable than appointing from outside - if you can make it work.   History shows our most successful time was built on twenty odd years of  continuity from Bond through to Walker.

Malky will be manger next season if we get relegated.

I have it on good authority.

[quote user="Hughtons Anti Football"]Give it to Adams ![/quote]

Huzzah! [Y]

[quote user="Hairy Canary"]We switched from a diamond to 4-5-1 against Liverpool Paul. Rogers mentioned that it was a good tactical switch which caused them problems. Just because you didn''t spot it and wrote "no plan B" in capitals doesn''t mean it didn''t happen.[/quote]

Spot on Hairy - it was a good tactical decision.

But  does that make the original plan to repeat the diamond experiment a poor one? 

The diamond was clearly a mistake as you say Zipper. Matching Liverpool''s formation and trying to go head to head with them was naive IMO. I was just trying to counter Paul Ferry''s point that Adams had no plan B, which he clearly did.

As to your point on substitutions Paul, no I don''t agree. We ended up with Murphey, Redmond, Snodgrass and a forward pushing Howson at the games end. There is no way on earth that Hughton would have gone for broke like that and I think the crown understood that we gave it our best shot.

[quote user="Hairy Canary"]The diamond was clearly a mistake as you say Zipper. Matching Liverpool''s formation and trying to go head to head with them was naive IMO. I was just trying to counter Paul Ferry''s point that Adams had no plan B, which he clearly did. As to your point on substitutions Paul, no I don''t agree. We ended up with Murphey, Redmond, Snodgrass and a forward pushing Howson at the games end. There is no way on earth that Hughton would have gone for broke like that and I think the crown understood that we gave it our best shot.[/quote]

Looks like you''re a perfect exponent Hairy.

Interesting how interpretations are positive now.

If we do get Malky as manager next season could it also bring the return of Peter ''The Pointer'' Grant as 1st team coach? I can''t see McCleish getting a managers job in the near future so maybe Grant will decide to try being assistant to someone else?

I find it difficult to blame Adams tactics for the Liverpool loss. Just in the same way as I can''t blame Hughton 100% for our poor form.

Certain players seem to let us down and at crucial moments.

Yes, Liverpool have a habit of scoring early and it should have been important to try and stop them doing that but when Whittaker and Fer are ball watching instead of marking then you are asking for trouble.

Adams then has to work out whether to stick with his system or change it immediately.

He stuck with it and Johnson, Martin and Whittaker all followed Sterling and left Turner (who simply isn''t good enough) to be embarrassed by Suarez. 2-0.

All credit to Adams for changing it and quite frankly leave Liverpool hanging on by the end of the game.

Hughton wasn''t to blame for players making mistakes but he was responsible for the lack of change and challenge when things went wrong for him.

[quote user="Pauls Ferry"]

[quote user="Hairy Canary"]The diamond was clearly a mistake as you say Zipper. Matching Liverpool''s formation and trying to go head to head with them was naive IMO. I was just trying to counter Paul Ferry''s point that Adams had no plan B, which he clearly did. As to your point on substitutions Paul, no I don''t agree. We ended up with Murphey, Redmond, Snodgrass and a forward pushing Howson at the games end. There is no way on earth that Hughton would have gone for broke like that and I think the crown understood that we gave it our best shot.[/quote]

Looks like you''re a perfect exponent Hairy.

Interesting how interpretations are positive now.

[/quote]

You''re absolutely spot on. The difference was we liked it better. The game wasn''t even "crying out for Wes"....

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Herman "]

[quote user="Bury Yellow"]Bury Yellow wrote: I just hope this is wrong. Malky was a great player for us but if we do replace Adams I don''t want an ex player. If this is the boards thinking than it has the hands of our majority shareholders on the recruitment tiller and do I not like that!! Bowkett and McNally have both said they''re the best owners in the business but what do they know? Huh? [:^)] Well I could say ''they would say that wouldn''t they''? but I won''t. I appreciate they are great supporters of our club but I much prefer it when they let Bowkett and McNally run the show. This they obviously did but not sure now. Just my opinion. We are all supporters and allowed our points of view. [/quote]

I don''t get this. When things are going well Bowkett and McNally are running the show. When the poo hits the fan Delia and Michael are. I know it''s just your opinion, but........

[/quote]Herman, the explanation is that a very few posters have a virulent anti-Smith and Jones agenda that means they can be allowed the credit for nothing and the blame for everything. Now opinions are fine if they are based on facts, but this particular opinion needs various inconvenient facts to be ignored or changed.So, for example, it is generally agreed McNally was a good choice as chief executive. But Smith and Jones cannot possibly be given credit for that, even though all the evidence is that he was their choice, based on Roy Hodgson''s advice. Instead, somehow, Alan Bowkett picked McNally, even though he had been working at Carrow Road as CEO for a whole month before Bowkett agreed to be chairman!And the period of success with Worthington provides a real dilemma. That cannot be attributed to Smith and Jones, so it has to have been down to the chief executive, right? But that was Neil Doncaster, who was a total idiot, acording to this extremist fringe. He must have been, by definition, because he was Smith and Jones'' choice. And they cannot get anything right. So who to give the credit to? My money is on the tea lady...Anyway, as to Mackay, if the argument, such as it is, is that he would be another sentimental Smith and Jones choice, then that doesn''t hold up. Appointing Gunn was such a choice. As was his reappointment. Both bad decisions. But Mackay is a tough and experienced manager with a good track record, who would be picked on that, and not because he used to play for us.[/quote]

Pretty much the way it is Purple. Although some would have you believe that the banks appointed Bowkett[:O]

Think there was a phonecall along these lines....

Tommy Tanker the Banker : Is that Delia? We''re a bit worried about all the money you owe now you''re in Division Three Old Money! Are you still good for a few million quid?

Delia : I thought you''d be after me so I''m afraid I''ve given all my worldly goods to Sister Wendy up at the monastry.

Tommy Tanker the Banker: So how do we get in touch with her?

Delia: I think the phone number''s in the book but they''re a silent order so good luck with that....

Tommy Tanker the Banker: Best you appoint Bowkett then.

Oh and Purple... You must remember to include the Catholic factor when you do your wonderful research[;)]

I don''t know who this Wendy is or if there really is a silent order but it sounds like Bury Yelllow would like Delia to adopt its practices in the boardroom at least. But would that be wise.....

McNally: What are we going to do about this managerial situation? The fans are throwing folded paper onto the pitch.

MWJ: It''s time for a change, I''ve wanted Houghton out ever since I saw that Capital Canaries chap at an unrelated event, ask him....

McNally: Delia?

Delia:

McNally: Delia? Any suggestions?

Delia:

McNally: That''s that decided for another week then folks, Delia still isn''t willing to put anyone forward, clearly a sign she still backs Houghton.

MWJ: She''s the boss.

Bowkett: (Under his breath) Not when we were in League One she wasn''t....

McNally: I''ll order some more clappers....

See how Houghton lasted so long? Perhaps Bury Yellow is right, but how do you solve a problem like Delia?