Sign in to follow this  
#

Give Adams the first 10 games next season.......

[quote user="splutcho"]Liverpool scored early because Adams got the formation totally wrong, let''s not try and sweep that under the carpet.[/quote]

You think they wouldn''t have scored past us faced with Hughton stupid zonal, stand off in numbers approach to defending? They''ve battered most sides in the first 15 minutes this season, maybe the formation was wrong, but we didn''t go 2 down because of it.

It was also help a lot of Fer could be bothered to track his man...

I didn''t say that Hughton would have done better. Where did I mention him? I said Adams got it wrong at the start which resulted in conceding two goals, which he did, which he proved by changing it after the first ten minutes.

Are you suggesting that Liverpool attack for the first 10 minutes and then go, that''s enough lads, we''ll let them play now?

The comparisons with Stringer and Walker are rather spurious: Walker had managed before and was reserve manager, Stringer managed the youths and then the reserves: both a far cry from just coaching u-18s, in what was a completely different footballing era. I like Adams, but his experience feels as close to that of Gunn as to either of the others.

For me, there is no way we should do anything half-way - either Adams gets the gig or he doesn''t. I would personally welcome Malky should we go down - he has the club in him, and a successful promotion winning stint as manager. It is quite frankly rather pathetic that the guy is being slated already on the off-chance that he might fill a vacancy tat doesn''t currently exist.

As for our last two matches, the why''s and wherefore''s are largely irrelevant: we lost both games. We were really rather poor in the first 15 against Liverpool when we should have been right in their faces - IMO that was naive and presumably down to the manager....it certainly would have been had CH still been in charge.

[quote user="splutcho"]I didn''t say that Hughton would have done better. Where did I mention him? I said Adams got it wrong at the start which resulted in conceding two goals, which he did, which he proved by changing it after the first ten minutes.

Are you suggesting that Liverpool attack for the first 10 minutes and then go, that''s enough lads, we''ll let them play now?[/quote]

I was saying that even with a safety first approach they would have most likely breached us at least once. They''ve got form for it and our defenders have always struggled against quick, technical attackers like they have. Adams'' diamond didn''t work for sure, I was just saying that wasn''t the reason they scored twice so early.

And no, but part of their gameplan is to start at 100mph every game as if it''s the 89th minute and their losing then they after a while they settle the game down and try to control possession. In my opinion with their form no matter what we tried they''ve had got the early goals and I give massive credit to Adams and the team for switching tactics and getting the better of them once they settled into their rhythm

What Adams has in his favour more than anything is the absolutely abysmal performances we''ve had to sit through for the majority of the season, with very little tactical change in a game and subs about as inspiring as my left nut.

So, understandably, fans get a little ahead of themselves when they see a performance like the one against a Liverpool - where a manager didn''t get it quite right at the start but quickly adjusted mid game and gave us all a performance to be proud of against the best team in the league. We''ve barely scored 2 goals all season yet we do it against the league leaders - it says a lot.

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="Wiz"]Especially if we go down, the players respond well to him and it was always a huge ask to save our skins after the Hughton/Board mistakes.  

He deserve''s at least a fair crack at it imo.[/quote]

Whatever league we''re playing in you can''t start the season with an "on trial" manager Wiz,  it wouldn''t make sense. What you''re suggesting is that Adams will decide on the players bought in the summer but if results don''t go our way after ten games, a new manager would come in having to work with the players Adams bought.

Nope, whoever is given the job has to be appointed before the transfer window is open and given a realistic contract. Anything else would make us a laughing stock.

[/quote]No, no more than Hughton did the last two summers.The scouts identify players based on the boards requirements - players are then selected by the board with the manager''s input. Criteria includes currrent wages, possible clauses, and very much their aptitude and attitude. McNally is then tasked to seal the deal, where possible.The idea that Adams will now be starting afresh with possible transfer targets, and that being dependant upon which division we are in next season is absurd and shows a very naive understanding of how things work. If the mananger was solely responsible for players joning the club then please explain Becchio being frozen out.likewise it is also absurd to imagine that you could appoint a manager on the basis of a trial period ... 10 months at that. Adams is either here, or not. I expect the club have allowed him to take over rather than trying to approach another manager with so little time left, and again not knowing which division we could be in next season.As to whether he should remain as manager then fans should not be clouded by the team looking better than they were under Hughton ... they could not have looked worse (likewise the atmosphere at Colney). Also comparisons with Gunn are well wide of the mark. Gunn had had no managerial experience and very limited coaching experience either - he had merely stayed, with the club finding him various roles, the last being manager.He was removed when McNally identified that he had no knowledge of what was required, just as Hughton went when it was obvious he had nothing left to try. Adams is different and has come through the coaching side and has the FA Cup winning side to his credit - assuming it was down to him. So far I have seen not much that would suggest he doesn''t know how to manage  - both off the field (coaching) and on the field (managing the game) - both areas of which Hughton seemed clearly out of his depth in.For my part I would think Adams is here for the long(er) term, as I doubt he would have left the youth set up without some sort of guarantee of being given enough time to prove himself. Certainly on motivation he appears to have got the ''old spirit'' back, and tactically he also seems to be up on things, if only on how to change the ''game plan'' as the game goes.Finally as to the idea of giving him 10 games, that''s about twice the number of games I give wiz before he is starts attacking Adams and calling for his removal.

[quote user="splutcho"]I didn''t say that Hughton would have done better. Where did I mention him? I said Adams got it wrong at the start which resulted in conceding two goals, which he did, which he proved by changing it after the first ten minutes.

Are you suggesting that Liverpool attack for the first 10 minutes and then go, that''s enough lads, we''ll let them play now?[/quote]Liverpool did actually do that, though it was more get a comfortable 2-0 lead then let them play.

Just my opinion but I don''t think prior experience in management automatically makes you a good manager, nor should a lack of experience rule you out. You''re either born with the qualities to do it or not. Neil''s got his badges, and my initial thoughts are he''s ticking all the boxes. Only time will tell, as it will with any managerial appointment, but I''m greatly encouraged by what I''ve seen so far - changing the tactics against Liverpool early on showed to me this guy has got something about himself.

I wasn''t aware we were now setting the premiership alight under Adams? I''ve seen 2 more defeats albeit with slightly improved performances but 2 defeats all the same. I like Adams but don''t think he''s ready for the job permanently yet although I suspect he already been given it.

It''s interesting that Wes fell out with the club. Hughton kept faith with him to the end but since Adams took over he appears to have been frozen out. And interestingly nobody seems to care...

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

It''s interesting that Wes fell out with the club. Hughton kept faith with him to the end but since Adams took over he appears to have been frozen out. And interestingly nobody seems to care...

[/quote]People only care about such things when it suits[Y]

Neil Adams is clearly settled in Norfolk and wants to live here and be involved with Norwich City.

Neil Adams clearly likes coaching and has had the opportunity of coaching youth players which is a pretty risk free role.

Neil Adams does the media well through local opportunities and is well liked and respected.

So, Hughton is sacked. It is a no brainier for Neil Adams to step in as he has and I truly believe he is motivated by more than personal interest. The only way he could lose would be to produce flat performances or make us a laughing stock in front of the camera. So far he has done the opposite.

Bryan Gunn was also part of the furniture and motivated to take the same role for similar reasons. It tarnished his legend. If Adams has any interest in maintaining his place in Club and County he will see his job as to the end of the season and, whatever the outcome, will hand it back before returning to his old role.

The money and status might turn his head but if that was the case he would have looked elsewhere before now.

But, as with Bond and Walker the temptation to chance their arm can override everything else and on a few occasions it''s right but, on balance Neil should do his best then hand the job back.

If he doesn''t I''ll back him and hope he doesn''t end up an object of derision if it goes wrong.

Our Board though were ultimately unkind to Hughton in allowing him too much time, possibly from a re-surfacing of the kind of weak sentiment McNally was surely brought in to eradicate, and ended up sacking him ludicrously late and with his reputation tarnished. They need to do the right thing with Adams and be looking for his successor now having made it plain that was the plan when they gave him the job with reassurances his and his coaches futures here were guaranteed.

[quote user="RUDOLPH HUCKER"]Neil Adams is clearly settled in Norfolk and wants to live here and be involved with Norwich City.

Neil Adams clearly likes coaching and has had the opportunity of coaching youth players which is a pretty risk free role.

Neil Adams does the media well through local opportunities and is well liked and respected.

So, Hughton is sacked. It is a no brainier for Neil Adams to step in as he has and I truly believe he is motivated by more than personal interest. The only way he could lose would be to produce flat performances or make us a laughing stock in front of the camera. So far he has done the opposite.

Bryan Gunn was also part of the furniture and motivated to take the same role for similar reasons. It tarnished his legend. If Adams has any interest in maintaining his place in Club and County he will see his job as to the end of the season and, whatever the outcome, will hand it back before returning to his old role.

The money and status might turn his head but if that was the case he would have looked elsewhere before now.

But, as with Bond and Walker the temptation to chance their arm can override everything else and on a few occasions it''s right but, on balance Neil should do his best then hand the job back.

If he doesn''t I''ll back him and hope he doesn''t end up an object of derision if it goes wrong.

Our Board though were ultimately unkind to Hughton in allowing him too much time, possibly from a re-surfacing of the kind of weak sentiment McNally was surely brought in to eradicate, and ended up sacking him ludicrously late and with his reputation tarnished. They need to do the right thing with Adams and be looking for his successor now having made it plain that was the plan when they gave him the job with reassurances his and his coaches futures here were guaranteed.[/quote]To be fair to McNally though, sacking Gunn must have been pretty easy (given the rumours about what went on) sacking Hughton and gambling with 80 million of Premiership money isn''t quite as easy a decision.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]perhaps you could remind us of how many games Hoolahan started this season

[quote user="Gingerpele"]No way...

If you need to give a guy 10 games, then he isn''t the right man. You can''t just go around plannig on sacking your manager after a few games if results aren''t right. You get rid of a manager when the results have already gone wrong. It''s why they took so lo to get rid of Hughton because they wanted him to be long term and were giving him chance after chance, same with Moyes at Man,U and many many other clubs.[/quote]Spot on.Appoint the next manager in June/July and stick with it unless it''s REALLY bad in December.Then reassess at the end of the season.I really wish there was a manager and coaching transfer window just like player windows. June and December would be good- any other changes can be outgoing only replaced from within the club only.

I think Wes not playing is more to do with moving Snodgrass into Wes'' best position.

I''m a big Wes fan but Snodgrass is now the better player and a player we need to play only not wide as he lacks pace.

I wonder whether Wes has insinuated he wants to leave in the summer regardless of the fact Hughton has left and thats why he''s been left out as he''s considered not up for the fight?

I''m surprised otherwise, I''ve heard Adams rave about him in his media role so you''d think he would be at least in the squad unless there''s an underlying reason.

Maybe it wasn''t just Hughton that pissed off Wes, Mcnally seems another likely person and maybe Adams doesn''t think his heart is in it....

Would love to know what''s actually going on with a few of these players Pilkington, Bassong and Wes being the obvious ones.

[quote user="RUDOLPH HUCKER"]What rumours were they?[/quote]Can''t say, and am pretty sure threads were pulled over them back in the day.They are pretty libelous!

[quote user="Monty13"]I wonder whether Wes has insinuated he wants to leave in the summer regardless of the fact Hughton has left and thats why he''s been left out as he''s considered not up for the fight?

I''m surprised otherwise, I''ve heard Adams rave about him in his media role so you''d think he would be at least in the squad unless there''s an underlying reason.

Maybe it wasn''t just Hughton that pissed off Wes, Mcnally seems another likely person and maybe Adams doesn''t think his heart is in it....

Would love to know what''s actually going on with a few of these players Pilkington, Bassong and Wes being the obvious ones.[/quote]If I''m honest, its pretty obvious.Of course Adams will big people up, its all part of the job.Even when a player leaves, and everyone knows why, its rare that another manager or player will do him down.

[quote user="RUDOLPH HUCKER"]You tease![/quote]Its not rocket science, how well do you think Gunn prepared the squad for the coming season, given that we lost 7-1 on the opening day?

[quote user="City1st"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]perhaps you could remind us of how many games Hoolahan started this season

[/quote]

Only if you remind us how many he wasn''t in the 18.

Like with the late subs. We like it better.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="RUDOLPH HUCKER"]You tease![/quote]Its not rocket science, how well do you think Gunn prepared the squad for the coming season, given that we lost 7-1 on the opening day?[/quote]

Or Hughton for the 5 - 0 at Fulham.

Okay, scrap my idea of giving him 10 games...........give him an entire season and two transfer windows to sort Hughton''s mess out.

At this point Adams has had 2 games - lost them both - results wise no better from Hughton.

He''s inspired the players to attack with more freedom, the players are responding - but this may be due to having a new manager & the need to impress.

His tactics have not been correct & therefore have not worked. Needed to have started with a 5 man midfield in both games. Both Fulham & Liverpool were desperate & those games against us were "must wins" for them. We needed to draw them forward & then "pick them off". AKA Man United last season.

The reason why we are in this predicament is because: (1) Our strikers have not scored enough goals'' (2) our defenders have always made individual errors that costed us points and (3) Hoolahan has not been picked in the team.

Adams hasn''t changed anything. There are no tactics - just a cavalier approach of trying to go 10 rounds with a super heavy-weight when we are a middleweight - look at the calibre of the opposition. So what''s changed - none of the 3 main problem points have been addressed so why should the results be different ?

Playing a diamond without Hoolahan - the diamond was invented for Hoolahan at this club.

Yes Snodgrass has played well but he''s been our best player for the last couple of months and has carried our attack on his own. He''d shine through in any position at the moment.

We know Hoolahan appears aloof but so''s Pink Floyd. With his quality, I''m confident we''d get the results we need, so rather have him in the team than out of it. There''s a fine line between success & failure. Adams has fired "blanks" up to this point.

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="City1st"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

Only if you remind us how many he wasn''t in the 18.

Like with the late subs. We like it better.

[/quote]about the same as Becchio ?