Sign in to follow this  
#

Give Adams the first 10 games next season.......

Especially if we go down, the players respond well to him and it was always a huge ask to save our skins after the Hughton/Board mistakes.  

He deserve''s at least a fair crack at it imo.

No, if we lose and go down, I don''t think so. We need someone like Mackay who will attract some of his own names in and galvanise our team. He was onto a good thing at Cardiff before they cruelly disposed of him.

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]No, if we lose and go down, I don''t think so. We need someone like Mackay who will attract some of his own names in and galvanise our team. He was onto a good thing at Cardiff before they cruelly disposed of him.[/quote]

Malky would be Hughton MkII...............defensive and boring.

It seemed to be common opinion that if we were not safe by the time we hit the last four games of the season we would more than likely go down. Under CH we would probably have gone out with a whimper and some embarrassing thumpings. If Adams can get three more good performances out of the team and we still go down I can''t see why he should not retain his managership. He talks the talk, seems to be tactically aware, makes reasonable substitutions, has got the players he thinks make an effort on his side and has frozen out the wasters.

As long as it is only 10 games to prove himself, not 30 like Clueless Chris was given this season.  I personally believe he''d be ideal in the Championship next season, no one knows the talent from the development squads as well as Adams.

No way...

If you need to give a guy 10 games, then he isn''t the right man. You can''t just go around plannig on sacking your manager after a few games if results aren''t right. You get rid of a manager when the results have already gone wrong. It''s why they took so lo to get rid of Hughton because they wanted him to be long term and were giving him chance after chance, same with Moyes at Man,U and many many other clubs.

I certainly have no problem with Neil Adams and respect your opinion...BUT, right now I must ask...Why?

I am sure Manchester United fans are not, and will not say the same about Ryan Giggs after his few games in charge, so why would Norwich City do that? Have I missed something here? Did we just win our last two games and pull away from the relegation zone??

Surely the club must go for a more experienced Manager than Neil Adams whether we stay up or go down, a manager picked to do a job either to keep us in the EPL for another season and improve our position or, a manager with the right sort of experience and contacts to ensure we have every chance of immediately bouncing back.

Do you really think, hand on heart, that Neil Adams is the right man to do that?

Sure, subject to how he does over the next three games, then I would be disappointed if he wasnt part of any new management team.....but give him the job next season.....I need convincing......now come back after three big wins or when we have stayed up and............................I will still have the same opinion!!!    

Not a chance. Especially if we go down as we''ll need to get off to a good start if we have any designs on coming back up.

If we stay up then it would be a bit tinpot, and doing things on the cheap (again) and there is a huge difference in what Adams is being asked to do right now, compared to a full Premiership campaign. I would maybe consider him if we went down, but would be more likely to choose Malky ( with Neil as assistant) purely based on his experience.

[quote user="Dubai Mark"]

I certainly have no problem with Neil Adams and respect your opinion...BUT, right now I must ask...Why?

I am sure Manchester United fans are not, and will not say the same about Ryan Giggs after his few games in charge, so why would Norwich City do that? Have I missed something here? Did we just win our last two games and pull away from the relegation zone??

Surely the club must go for a more experienced Manager than Neil Adams whether we stay up or go down, a manager picked to do a job either to keep us in the EPL for another season and improve our position or, a manager with the right sort of experience and contacts to ensure we have every chance of immediately bouncing back.

Do you really think, hand on heart, that Neil Adams is the right man to do that?

Sure, subject to how he does over the next three games, then I would be disappointed if he wasnt part of any new management team.....but give him the job next season.....I need convincing......now come back after three big wins or when we have stayed up and............................I will still have the same opinion!!!    

[/quote]

Its a good job you had no say when Stringer and Waker were appointed wasn''t Mark? [^o)]

[quote user="Wiz"][quote user="Dubai Mark"]

[/quote]

Its a good job you had no say when Stringer and Waker were appointed wasn''t Mark? [^o)]

[/quote]

Walker! [:$]

When he gets us the points to stay up, he will deserve to continue next season.

Anything that happens after that whether it be after 5 games, 10 games or 10 seasons will depend on how the team is performing under him.

I agree with Joanna Grey. So far Adams has produced two very good performances, failed only by bad finishing, which a manager can probably do least about.

The Liverpool manager praised Adams''s tactics, and changes in them. Whittaker has come out very positively for Adams. Our temporary manager seems to be a good judge of football, with a keen intelligence, and a refreshing honesty in interviews. Add to this his undoubted commitment to the club over many years, and we have a man admittedly without very much premiership experience, but all premiership managers have to begin without any, and he has begun well.

Unless it all falls apart, and we go back to pre-Adams football in the face of top class opposition, my own feeling is that we ought to go with Adams. We have known about the hard four-match run-in all season, we kept saying that we had to get the necessary points before the last four games. Why now raise the bar now for a man who has just taken over a demoralised squad? Even if we don''t achieve the miracle and get enough points, so long as performance levels are maintained at the recent high levels, then surely he has demonstrated his ability and doesn''t need another probation period.

[quote user="Wiz"]

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]No, if we lose and go down, I don''t think so. We need someone like Mackay who will attract some of his own names in and galvanise our team. He was onto a good thing at Cardiff before they cruelly disposed of him.[/quote]

Malky would be Hughton MkII...............defensive and boring.

[/quote]Agree 100% Wiz.[;)]

[quote user="Wiz"]

Especially if we go down, the players respond well to him and it was always a huge ask to save our skins after the Hughton/Board mistakes.  

He deserve''s at least a fair crack at it imo.

[/quote]

Agreed! We have a long history of successfully promoting from within. Adams has already demonstrated that he has the intelligence and charisma to be successful.

we need someone with a track record of success and promotion should we go down.

If we stay up I feel we need to look aborad. Adams is a short term fix, there is no one else currently I think who would come to us, hungry enough to prove people wrong (Moyes perhaps?).. looking abroad we get a manager with a point to prove, yes they would be unknown to a few fans but with knowledge of the English game ans possibly contacts for under the radar players in their country it could be a shrewd move.

[quote user="Wiz"]Especially if we go down, the players respond well to him and it was always a huge ask to save our skins after the Hughton/Board mistakes.  

He deserve''s at least a fair crack at it imo.[/quote]

Whatever league we''re playing in you can''t start the season with an "on trial" manager Wiz,  it wouldn''t make sense. What you''re suggesting is that Adams will decide on the players bought in the summer but if results don''t go our way after ten games, a new manager would come in having to work with the players Adams bought.

Nope, whoever is given the job has to be appointed before the transfer window is open and given a realistic contract. Anything else would make us a laughing stock.

[quote user="lappinitup"]Whatever league we''re playing in you can''t start the season with an "on trial" manager Wiz,  it wouldn''t make sense. What you''re suggesting is that Adams will decide on the players bought in the summer but if results don''t go our way after ten games, a new manager would come in having to work with the players Adams bought. Nope, whoever is given the job has to be appointed before the transfer window is open and given a realistic contract. Anything else would make us a laughing stock. [/quote]

[;)]

We don''t need an ''on trial'' manager but what we do need is experience.

The ideal experience to go with a younger manager, learning his job, would be a man who has enjoyed success in that role for a long time and who has knowledge of our club and area.

Neil Adams and Mike Phelan ...... the dream team.

But please, please please not another boring defensive manager like Malky!

The statement from the club was that Neil Adams had be made the new Norwich manager,  no mention of it being ''till the end of the season, or 10 games into the next.If he''s going to stay on I don''t think there will be any announcements.

Thats a fair point Wiz, I think Stringer was managing the reserves and Walker the Youth team......BUT, doesnt make me change my view on this, despite me actually quite liking Neil Adams despite the lack of points so far.    

[quote user="Yellow Wall"]We don''t need an ''on trial'' manager but what we do need is experience.

The ideal experience to go with a younger manager, learning his job, would be a man who has enjoyed success in that role for a long time and who has knowledge of our club and area.

Neil Adams and Mike Phelan ...... the dream team.

But please, please please not another boring defensive manager like Malky![/quote]I honestly think the ideal combination (although it''s too late now) would have been if Hughton had sacked his assistants and promoted Adams to first team coach. I don''t think we would be in the predicament we are now.

People need to be reminded of Hughton''s Premiership managerial experience before he came here.

Although he did get Birmingham into the Championship play-offs...

Wow!

Just for the sake of accuracy, just looked it up, Mike Walker did manage Colchester United earlier in his career before coming to City as a coach, and not a bid win ratio either.

If Adams sees out his 5 games playing the kind of football we have already seen, showing adaptability and tactical awareness in games and generally instilling belief and an attacking intent...is this not what we have all wanted to see?

At the start of the season I personally thought we''d be lucky to get a point from these 5 games, did anyone think massively differently? If not, then even if Adams loses every single game if he shows all the right attributes I''d like to see him installed if we go down.

If we stay up....little more tricky, if there is a manager who''s proven all those characteristics but has experience then perhaps we should put Adams back in the box for later.

I don''t want to see any manager "given a go though". All this 10 game trial nonsense, if he gets installed as manager it needs to be as a long term plan with a long term vision and footballing philosophy for the club, with players in mind to fulfil that.

We have a choice, we can only afford proven experience of failure, take a gamble on a foreign coach and hope he installs a sophisticated positive approach tactically, or Adams who already seems to be installing this in the team.

For me I''d keep Adams permanently. The only question mark would be his transfer policy but I seriously doubt he could fail as badly as Hughton did in this department (A few players aside)

For the record I am assuming we stay up which I firmly believe we will now

Also we would have been battered in our last 2 games with Hughton in charge, I''d bet my life on it so you can''t beat him with the 0 points so far stick.

Liverpool were always going to score early against us, they''re too strong in attack, it wouldn''t have mattered how we set up and under Hughton the players would have given up knowing there was no way back.

*See Hughtons away record and record against Fulham

So basically, imo, Adams has done very well so far despite the almost insurmountable task placed in front of him

Liverpool scored early because Adams got the formation totally wrong, let''s not try and sweep that under the carpet.

[quote user="splutcho"]We lost the game because Adams got the formation totally wrong, let''s not try and sweep that under the carpet.[/quote]

two early goals were too much to bear;  plenty of blame on turner, johnson & whittaker for those two goals but the basic formation was wrong and  adams was to blame for that.  we were not going to recover from a two goal deficit to the league leaders.

We have to start better tomorrow.