Sign in to follow this  
Saint Canary

Worthy In or Out but slightly different

I am suggesting we do something slightly different from the normal in/out poll we do.  Instead why don''t we list Worthys positives and negatives as a manager and see what we come up with.  It will be interesting to see if there are more negatives than positives or vice versa and how many points can be countered.  I am going to put just 2 of each just to get the ball rolling. 

Positives:
Good relationship with the board - Has got them to spend money at key points when previous managers would have failed.
Strong Minded - He knows what he wants and he usually gets it, he will not take any rubbish from Prima Donna players.

Negatives:
Good relationship with the board - He appears to be too comfortable with the board and appears to not be accountable due to long contract and friendly relationship with board members.
Strong Minded - Unfortunately he is strong minded to the point of being unreasonable.  He will drop players for non-football reasons to the detriment to the team and keep faith in underperforming players because they work hard.

Right those are my two.

Positives: Brought stability and disipline to the team.  Got Hucks and Dean Ashton

Negatives:  Tactically inept.  Too many favourites.  Unwise signings.  Too many excuses.  Quick to criticise fans.  Too many players out of position.  Too defensive.

good points

past record in the championship: got us out of this league once
before.
good team spirit: still a strong togetherness amongst the squad.

bad points
tactics: shockingly inept at tactics, picks wrong players
in wrong positions often in wrong formation.
coaching: defence is a mess, midfield looks lost and the
strikers aren''t improving, passing is poor, can''t see
any evidence of good coaching.
transfers: spent all that cash and were no better off than
when hamilton took over.
blind loyalty: unwilling to drop players when struggling,
see flem last season and leon and others this.

i could go on with the bad points, but i''ll stop there.

Negatives

Allows personal feelings and grudges to influence team selection to the cost of the team.

Inadequate coaching particularly in defence meaning that we continually concede soft goals. 

Tactically inept meaning that all we are able to do going forward is to give it to Huckerby and hope he''ll do something magical or hoof it up the pitch in the hope that Ashton can flick it on. At the back we continue to defend far too deep allowing opposing teams to take the initiative. 

No idea how to change things when a game is going wrong.

Bewildering substitutions both in terms of players taken off and put on, the positions they are asked to fill in and the timings of substitutions.

Rates effort put in on the training ground and in games as the be all and end all with no regards to quality.

Inadequate homework undertaken on oppostion teams allowing their key players to run amok. Other teams much better at doing their homework on us.

Not prepared to give youth a go unless there are absolutely no other possible alternatives.

Poor pre-season preparation meaning that we start each season with no idea as to our best starting eleven.

More bad transfers in than good particularly during the close season meaning that other teams, of which Sheffield Utd. this season is a good example, hit the ground running, whereas we''re playing catchup.

Unable to accurately assess the positions which need to be filled and obtain quality players to fill those positions. 

Continually plays people out of position, partly because of the deficiency above, meaning that we have to employ stop gaps.

Bad eyesight. After-match comments can only mean that he can''t have seen the game!

Positives:

1) He seems a genuine chap with a commitment to the club

2) He does not rant and rave- but keeps a clear head

3) He has moved this club on further than any of you wish to admit beacuse your angry

4) The only REAL nightmare period has occured since the Fulham game. I still think it is a confidence issue and WILL be turned around. (knee jerk reactions are the last thing we need)

5) He has given the club a long period of consistency

6) He convinced Hucks, Ashton et al to sign and stay at the club, other would not have

7) He has improved players fitness and does not allow for laziness

8) He is an EXCELLENT ambassador for the club and is the last man to bring scandal to our doors

9) He has brought better loan signings than any NCFC manager I can remember - Hucks, Crouch, Cooper, Harper, Marney & Bentley - all brought something to the club

10) He  gave us premiership football- and bar a terrible game- nearly kept us there

11) He has a brain which is rare in footy

All in all I feel that if he went- it would come back to haunt us. We would become midseason for years (ala Ipswich minus Burley) and he would go on to prove his worth else where.

He is a YOUNG manager with BAGS of potential. He needs supports not pressure. We rode the good times. lets cut some lsack for the lean - and allow him to use this patch to grow with the club. we would not find a better replacement in terms of overall package.

There- nuff said.

[quote]Positives: 1) He seems a genuine chap with a commitment to the club 2) He does not rant and rave- but keeps a clear head 3) He has moved this club on further than any of you wish to admit beacuse y...[/quote]

Well done Vicar!