Sign in to follow this  
Dean Coneys boots

Take a DEEP breath.....

Ok. Things are awful. And yes we are depressed.

But let us do a Kipling and keep our heads when all about are losing theirs! There is too much panicky stuff at present. (and yes I do see why)

However the truth is that we DO have the best squad at this club in many a year. And I still belive cream always rises to the top. Patience is needed.

I perceive two problems at present (not including some bad luck):

1) Confidence. A confident Ashton and McKenzie scored for fun at the end of last year. So of COURSE they can do it this year. But fans grumbling isn''t helping them reclaim it. (remember our singing at Fulham is what made Ashton determined to stay- support is needed now more than EVER) If we HELP lift the players - they might just win. And I am convinced ONE good win and we will tear up the league.  

2) The club has had TOO MANY CHANGES in the space of 12 months. Which is why a change of manager would be suicidal- Ipswich knee jerked and kicked Burley out and never recovered. Patience. Let the players gel. We had a woeful preseason with injuries and have not discovered. Let us put August behind us and see if 11 quality players can finally become one quality team! (If we are bottom half in october- ok think again)

But let me finish by stating 2 things:

1) Cream always rises to the top. And we ARE one of the most gifted sides.

2) This division always finishes tight. Which is why Palace went up after being bottom three at Christmas. It aint over yet.....

....so lets just take a deep breath and wait a little longer....

I agree with you on this.

IMO the parallels with when Ipswich sacked Burley are strong. I was glad when that happened and I think our rivals will be glad if we sack Worthington.

Mind you, I am a bit doubtful about what we can realistically achieve this season and I really don''t know if I can cope with another season battling relegation - especially from Championship.

[quote]Ok. Things are awful. And yes we are depressed. But let us do a Kipling and keep our heads when all about are losing theirs! There is too much panicky stuff at present. (and yes I do see why) Howev...[/quote]

Sorry Vicar, I was well prepared to give the team time to "gel" etc but my patience with Worthy is all but gone.  Unfortunately the others teams in this league don''t seem prepared to wait for us to "gel" and Sheff U are 12 points ahead us!  We can''t just put our hand up at say "Can we start the league again please, we weren''t ready!"  You are right Vicar, the season is still young but how long can we go without winning?  Ten games like last year?  Just another point, you are right that Palace were bottom 3 and got promoted but they changed manager!

The low confidence in the squad is down Worthy and here is a couple of examples why.  McKenzie, Worthy has undermined his confidence by bidding for Morrison and the same weekend dropping McKenzie for the Saints game.  It doesn''t take a genius to work out where his confidence has gone.  

A couple of months ago McVeigh was on the transfer list and Worthy had said he could leave for free.  The only reason he came off the list was because of the small squad we have and Worthy actually publicly gave that as the reason!  How to make a player feel wanted by ersonName w:st="on">NigelWorthingtonersonName>.

As a final example the Doc.  He was told to lose weight and get fit, he did, played one game and was promptly dropped.  It must be so hard to sit and watch someone like Fleming consistently playing (averagely at best!) while you have worked so hard but are never given a decent chance. 

For me Worthy having his favourites is the biggest reason for low confidence.  If it had been Brennan sent off instead of Hux last night Worthy would have had a public execution for him.

Worthington has a lot of work to do and not much time to do it in and while it may be true that cream always rises to the top…… sometimes the milk turns sour!

[quote]Ok. Things are awful. And yes we are depressed. But let us do a Kipling and keep our heads when all about are losing theirs! There is too much panicky stuff at present. (and yes I do see why) Howev...[/quote]

Vic, I think the telling match will be the match against Ipswich. To lose in a humiliating fashion to the local rivals could sound the death knell for Mr Worthington.

As it stands he needs to do something to get the ship back on track before he loses the confidence of the players. He''s already losing the confidence of the supporters. If it continues I don''t think it will be long before the players begin to doubt him.

Good post, I agree that sacking Worthy now would be too much of a knee jerk reaction.

In a freaky kind of way this poor start is almost (and I say almost very reluctantly) a good thing as it''s made us realise that it was never going to be a stroll in the park regaining Premiership status and it now means that Worthy has got 2 weeks to try and seriously address the problems that:

a). got us relegated from the Prem

b). have caused us to have such a shocking start to this season

If we''d got off to a brilliant start and were in the top three, yes it''d be great, but the fundamental problems would still exist, i.e. weak midfield and leaky defence. Surely even Worthy can''t deny this now.

If in a months time we''ve still not won a game and have been humbled at Portman Road then I think Worthy''s position will be untenable.

Until then, we give him the chance to sort this mess out.

[quote]Good post, I agree that sacking Worthy now would be too much of a knee jerk reaction. In a freaky kind of way this poor start is almost (and I say almost very reluctantly) a good thing as it''s made u...[/quote]

I agree. Not only does it take a great manager to win games when things are going well, but it takes a great manager to turn things around when things are not going well.

Whether Worthington is a great manager remains to be seen, but sacking him and getting someone else in would be absolutely suicidal.