Sign in to follow this  
morty

Positivity.

Where did it all go?Only a few days ago people were talking about 9 points, and how much better the performances were, what happened?Did reality kick in for some of you?End of the day we were away to the Premiership champions, even a point was going to be a massive ask, I honestly some of you may have set your sights just a little too high.My honest opinion on yesterday? Its pretty much what I expected really, but take away all the hype, and there were positives. We did score (and I didn''t see it that well as it was at the other end, but I''m told the goal was fine) we did create chances, their keeper made a few great saves, and so what if the players looked like they had given up, seriously 4-nil down away from home, even the most positive person in the world is going to let his head drop a bit.If you actually watched the game then the gulf in class was unsurprisingly, and obviously apparent.

I don''t think anyone was actively expecting a result yesterday Morty. I did fancy our chances when Moyes was still in charge but I thought our chance basically evaporated as soon as they fired him. The Man Utd players and supporters were always going to be up for this one and so it proved.

However, what made the game a major disappointment was the manner in which we went about our business particularly after such an encouraging showing against Liverpool. The limit of our ambition appeared to trying to keep Man Utd at bay. We never really countered attacked with any real conviction or belief.

Teams that have done that to Man Utd this season like West Brom have enjoyed real success and hurt Man Utd a lot. If you don''t pose questions going the other way the law of averages does eventually dictate that if the ball is lobbed into your penalty area enough times something weird will happen (and the penalty incident was very curious on so many levels!).

While you cant expect Neil Adams to wave a magic wand and make everything ok again it was effectively the same personnel and mindset that we saw all to often under CH away from home. After two encouraging displays I think that is what disappointed people.

But while there are games we still have hope. I would be furious if the players gave up so I wont be giving up either.

I was with the Manchester fans in the Alex Ferguson stand yesterday (sadly). Many of them commented on how the second half was some of the best football they''ve played all season.

Man United at their best is better than us at our best. That''s a fact. The only times clubs like us win against the big boys is when they get a little egotistical and complacent and we take advantage - winning 50/50s etc.

Unfortunately with it being Giggs first game in charge there was really no chance for that.

Two huge defensive mistakes in particular for the first two goals. Individual errors etc. I let that slide with Hughton saying it''s not his fault - so I''ll of course offer Adams the same courtesy.

We stood, and obviously stand, more chance of getting something at the Bridge than we did at Old Trafford yesterday - in my opinion.

[quote user="hogesar"]I was with the Manchester fans in the Alex Ferguson stand yesterday (sadly). Many of them commented on how the second half was some of the best football they''ve played all season.

Man United at their best is better than us at our best. That''s a fact. The only times clubs like us win against the big boys is when they get a little egotistical and complacent and we take advantage - winning 50/50s etc.

Unfortunately with it being Giggs first game in charge there was really no chance for that.

Two huge defensive mistakes in particular for the first two goals. Individual errors etc. I let that slide with Hughton saying it''s not his fault - so I''ll of course offer Adams the same courtesy.

We stood, and obviously stand, more chance of getting something at the Bridge than we did at Old Trafford yesterday - in my opinion.[/quote][Y]

There is the odd positive......

There is no doubt that our midfielders ''amble'' with far more aplomb and frequency than those in any other PL side.

Their inability to track runners attacking our penalty area is almost faultless. I''m not sure whether it''s a fitness issue, laziness, or just basic unawareness of their responsibilities.

I guess Fer''s excuse is that he has just come back from injury, because at times, he ''ambles'' majestically.

[quote user="unique"]There is the odd positive......

There is no doubt that our midfielders ''amble'' with far more aplomb and frequency than those in any other PL side.

Their inability to track runners attacking our penalty area is almost faultless. I''m not sure whether it''s a fitness issue, laziness, or just basic unawareness of their responsibilities.

I guess Fer''s excuse is that he has just come back from injury, because at times, he ''ambles'' majestically.[/quote]I like Fer, and I think that he''s a marmite player for a lot of people. We were never buying a complete and finished article, and people can be a bit quick to make him the whipping boy.

I don''t wish to be singling out Fer.

It has been a trait with whoever has been playing in the midfield this season, runners are not being picked up.

ManU May we''ll have eased off somewhat, but the introduction of Tettey and Elmander yesterday gave some uplifting energy to the side.

Elmander was way more productive than RVW, and room must be made for Tettey in the starting line-up for the last two games.

[quote user="unique"]I don''t wish to be singling out Fer.

It has been a trait with whoever has been playing in the midfield this season, runners are not being picked up.

ManU May we''ll have eased off somewhat, but the introduction of Tettey and Elmander yesterday gave some uplifting energy to the side.

Elmander was way more productive than RVW, and room must be made for Tettey in the starting line-up for the last two games.[/quote]I thought Elmander was very good yesterday[Y]

It was the hope that we may actually give someone a game. After getting rid of Hughton I hoped there would be a different mindset amongst the players and manager. But yesterday we got exactly the same rubbish we''ve had away for months.

I wasn''t expecting a win after Moyes went but at least a feeling of pride in the team, that they fought hard and gave United a scare. Just felt anger after another capitulation.

It''s the hope that kills you.

I was there with my two sons Waveny. However my oldest son is 6 foot 2, so could be described as a gentleman lol.

Unfortunately I feel there was an expectancy that, with Hughton''s departure, the tigers would be unleashed. Not many tigers in evidence yesterday.

Manu were not good yesterday but still scored 4 - without some chronic defending for the two game turning goals around half time. Both completely preventable and without that Manu would have continued to be poor and we could have held out for a point instead our heads dropped.

But the turning points happened well before the 2 goals - probably in the changing room. We defended stoutly for 40 mins but it was an uncohesive display, with the back 4 regularly out of shape due to ill discipline but most worryingly a real palpable nervousness on the ball, rushed ill advised passing, hoofing it clear, no care taken with it (bradleys early attempt to disembowel Fer from 5 yards summed it up and counted as a completed pass!)

What eroded my positivity beyond the players heads going down and the widespread player incompetence was the clear blame culture and lack of ownership on the pitch.

A couple of examples, Snodgrass - 90th minute, Olsson hits the bar with a deflected and he rips a strip off the full back moaning he wasnt played in; another snodgrass one was early in the second half when ruddy cleared it long to the right side of the picth, closer to snoddy, when the ball was one again by a manu cb snoddy spends too long shouting at rvw for not competing for the header; despite rvw being positioned middle left. My final example happened after the 3rd goal; Rooney fires in shot no 4 similar to the second goal no effort to retreive it and it ends up with mata putting it in; ruddy rightly erupts post goal only for martin to turn his back on the keeper and dismissively and disrespectfully shake his hand at him; a complete repeat of the bassong rvw incident at swansea

We have a discordent squad with the poor quality players purporting to have passion and costing us points. Its a sorry state of affairs.

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]Manu were not good yesterday but still scored 4 - without some chronic defending for the two game turning goals around half time. Both completely preventable and without that Manu would have continued to be poor and we could have held out for a point instead our heads dropped. But the turning points happened well before the 2 goals - probably in the changing room. We defended stoutly for 40 mins but it was an uncohesive display, with the back 4 regularly out of shape due to ill discipline but most worryingly a real palpable nervousness on the ball, rushed ill advised passing, hoofing it clear, no care taken with it (bradleys early attempt to disembowel Fer from 5 yards summed it up and counted as a completed pass!) What eroded my positivity beyond the players heads going down and the widespread player incompetence was the clear blame culture and lack of ownership on the pitch. A couple of examples, Snodgrass - 90th minute, Olsson hits the bar with a deflected and he rips a strip off the full back moaning he wasnt played in; another snodgrass one was early in the second half when ruddy cleared it long to the right side of the picth, closer to snoddy, when the ball was one again by a manu cb snoddy spends too long shouting at rvw for not competing for the header; despite rvw being positioned middle left. My final example happened after the 3rd goal; Rooney fires in shot no 4 similar to the second goal no effort to retreive it and it ends up with mata putting it in; ruddy rightly erupts post goal only for martin to turn his back on the keeper and dismissively and disrespectfully shake his hand at him; a complete repeat of the bassong rvw incident at swansea We have a discordent squad with the poor quality players purporting to have passion and costing us points. Its a sorry state of affairs.[/quote]

Sums up what I have thought for most of the season. We''ve not been playing as a team the whole time. Football is a team game and until we are a team on and off the pitch it will be difficult to succeed.

[quote user="morty"]I was there with my two sons Waveny. However my oldest son is 6 foot 2, so could be described as a gentleman lol.[/quote]

I thought it might be you. Will come and chat about the Messiah next time I see you! I bet u are looking forward to that!

[quote user="Waveney Canary"][quote user="morty"]I was there with my two sons Waveny. However my oldest son is 6 foot 2, so could be described as a gentleman lol.[/quote]

I thought it might be you. Will come and chat about the Messiah next time I see you! I bet u are looking forward to that![/quote][Y]