Sign in to follow this  
Canary Boy

***VOTE NOW - WORTHINGTON IN OR OUT? VOTE NOW***

Six games is far too early to sack the manager. Doesn''t Worthy''s previous record count for anything? Remember that when he took over we were staring relegation to the third flight in the face?

I agree he has made mistakes and am as disgusted as anyone at what happened at Stoke but I do feel we need to give him at least another month before we press the panic button.

IN. when you recruit someone you look at their CV. This guy won the league the year befire last. Whats the alternative? Graham Souness - straightformthe premiership and a side that havent yet scored a single goal this season? or some completely unknown quantity at this level?

I think the problem is with worthys halo surronding him and that clouds the boards vision.  Norwich has and should be a premiership team.  I look at all the great players and managers we''ve had, if O''neil hadnt left thanks to a certain mr chase then it might all be different, but worthy''s choice in players and a donation from a lovely mrs delia smith got us into that premiership. Anyone remember the monotonus mid league positions before???

It wasnt too long ago when Norwich were winning matches left, right and centre, Worthy was getting manager of the month and he did this without ashton, and for a part without hucks although he really helped us to turn it around.  

Norwichs'' bad form is not all down to Worthy, after last year when most of our games were lost i didnt any cries of worthy out because it was expected.  Im not saying this current form is acceptable though.  But as other people have mentioned who is there as a replacement??What happens when people have shifted all the blame, a new manager comes in and nothing happens??

Basically give Worthy a chance maybe 2-4 games, if nothing happens then get him out, I for one do not want us to be taken down at Portman Road.  I fear however that whatever happens that the derby game wont be a memorable one. 

[quote]I think the problem is with worthys halo surronding him and that clouds the boards vision. Norwich has and should be a premiership team. I look at all the great players and managers we''ve had, if O''...[/quote]

Great first post Mark. Agree with it all. Theres also the fact that Dean and Leon have been missing chances, when they get back to full form then we should start winning games!

[quote]Great first post Mark. Agree with it all. Theres also the fact that Dean and Leon have been missing chances, when they get back to full form then we should start winning games![/quote]

But how/when will they get back to form? Morale at the club must surely be rock bottom, i don''t care what Delia might ramble on about good team spirits and so on, this is getting to the players and it''s showing in their performances. I just don''t see how it could possibly be turned around? We are now playing catch up - that in itself brings massive pressure.

Neil Adams was saying tonight, "It''s got to turn hasn''t it?" - but why has it? What evidence is there that it''s ''got to turn''?

To sack him immediately would be a knee-jerk reaction but I''m in total agreement that the board must be planning for such an event as from now. Another 5 or 6 games without any noticeable improvement and he should go.

The players can''t escape either - abysmal!

I really hope I don''t read any ''we worked hard/passed the ball well/football''s a funny old game'' crap in the EDP tomorrow.

Blimey they''re all popping out of the woodwork tonight - ruddy school holidays.

"OUT! We can''t keep defending him on past achievement."
But you want to sack him because of the last six resulkts which are - past achievements

"He''s lost the dressing room and can''t motivate the team anymore."
Whose says he''s lost the dressing room other than your over exited imagination ?

".. if O''neil hadnt left thanks to a certain mr chase then it might all be different, but worthy''s choice in players and a donation from a lovely mrs delia smith got us into that premiership. "

I think you''ll find it was a certain mr chase who appointed him in the first place, O''Neill was off and needed an excuse to justify his behaviour. He done the same to Leicester. Check his behaviour that weekend when we were two up at Leicester.

" but worthy''s choice in players and a donation from a lovely mrs delia smith got us into that premiership. "

Might have had much more to do with the land acquired by a certain mr chase that was sold.

Once again we prove that our impoverished neighbours don''t have a monoploy on headless chickens for fans.

OUT!!!

Sorry Mr Worthington but you''ve taken us as far as you can.  As far as a replacement goes, thats a tough one.  My no:1 choice would be Martin O''neil, whom I have admired as a player and manager.  Alas he quit Celtic to look after his wife, and probably wouldn''t take up management again for some time....

How about Venables (where is he now?) or gullit (wheres he too?), Simon Cowell??!! (at least he would tell the players whats what).

Anyhow, I think NW has lost all credability and faith from the fans (well the majority) and his squad...  It doesn''t take a genius to know we need at least 2 defenders (fleming is past it, and we need a good partner for Shacks), and at least 1 midfielder (a box to box playmaker).  More importance too would be a manager with a new outlook and fresh ideas, and the b***s to make big decisions.  To leave it any longer than another month, and we will struggle to comeback...

Come on City!!!!

The Blackpool board had the right idea and got rid of him before he got them relegated.  I hope our own board are as brave. You can give him as many games as you like, but it is not a motivated City team we are seeing taking to the field at present.  Any manager worth his salt should at least be able to motivate his players.

Worthy and his coaching staff pick the team and determine the way they play.  So far it has been very poor, and despite the comments about getting it sorted out on the training ground, there has been no evidence of it on the pitch.  Most supporters can see that we don''t even look like a team who have confidence in the way they are being asked to play.

It may cost us a small fortune to get rid of him as he and the coaching staff are on improved contracts, but the price we will have to pay will be even higher if he stays.  No top or decent players are going to want to come here when they look at our league position.

According to Worthy he has added better players to the squad since last year, yet we find ourselves one from bottom after six.  If he doesn''t resign then the board should give him a helping hand.  Replace him and the coaching staff now before the gap becomes too big to bridge, or face the prospect of losing players like Ashton, Green, Safri who will almost certainly not want to stay around for another season at this level.

A definite OUT for me.

We all know that on paper we have a fantastic side, but would a new manager make them winners rather than loser''s? The players don''t have worthy over their shoulder contolling their every move, A wasted chance is not Worthy''s fault. Granted tactic''s, etc, are his department and he cannot be doing the right job there. But he''s no idiot. He has done it for us in the past and I feel can do in the future. I say IN. For a while anyway..

Sacking NW now would be a slap in the face for a man who acheived so much for us when he joined the club , he got a very average Norwich team into the playoffs and then with some educated loan signings got us into the premiership by winning the division at a cantor.

I think Darren Huckerby''s sending off tonight added insult to injury but reguarding the Norwich city legend , from what I''ve seen LIVE this season , he is still causing havoc amongst defenders but has lost the kind of impact he had two seasons ago, when he was single handedly driving the Norwich attacking line , the loss of Damien Francis is a major blow and I think some of us took for granted how good he had been for us since he joined from Wimbledon.

The fact that NW wants a striker as opposed to a genuine box to box midfield powerhouse or a decent centre back of good age is head banging against the wall basil fawlty style annoying but having said that Leon Mckenzie has been poor this season and Peter Thorne has hardly made an impact (although injuries and late substituted apperances must be granted) .

As a club we''ve never been very good at being dubbed "favourites" or "big boys" and much prefer the under dog role which is very difficult to assume when teams like Leeds and Crystal Palace are putting eleven men behind the ball against us and I think that has been a snag for us also.

I don''t think the fans (including myself) have completley backed the team in the way we have the last two seasons (but who can blame us ?) even the opening game against Coventry was a very quiet affair and it hasn''t taken long for the fans to start booing and calling for the managers head, even after the palace game I recall hearing one or two boos at the final whistle .

Another problem has been that we have faced Crystal Palace, Southampton and Leeds already this season (that doesn''t excuse losing 3-1 to stoke) and so you could argue that weve played 3 of our toughest fixtures. If we had started our championship winning season against West Ham home (1-1) West Brom away ( 0-1) and Crystal Palace away ( 1-2 ?) then the doom merchants would have been circling round old worthers .

The above are reasons are why things have gone wrong but Worthers job is to solve these problems and I think before we call for his head we should asess how likely these problems will be solved and how soon should we wait before we decide to get someone else to solve them , what WONT help is booing the team against Plymouth or getting on there backs early on at least wait until the end of the game .

I think that worthers should be giving breathing space until christmas but the board must not allow themselves to be bullied by him ( as they have in the past) or be too soft (i.e Bryan Hamilton) and must be very careful about spending over a million on getting another striker. It''s a very delicate matter because the phrase "better the devil you know" springs to mind and who would be an ideal replacement ?

I''ve always sat on the fence where the managerial skills of Worthy are concerned. He seems to bring the best out of the players when everyone else has written us off e.g. last seasons oh so nearly, and the play-off final season. I still believe we only won the First Division Championship because everyone else threw it away.

Last season everyone expected us to go down, but we did it in a nice way.

This season, there can be no excuse for failure. We have the best fans, and the best boardroom in the country (Chealski excluded).

The fact is, we''ve made some sub-rate signings, and the players who''ve joined us post-Hucks (including Hucks) don''t know what a discontented Norwich crowd sounds like, and have never been booed off the pitch by them.

I listened to the Radio Norfolk commentary tonight with dismay, mainly because our defence couldn''t deal with an attacker who was rejected by Gillingham. Let''s hope Iwan doesn''t sign for Plymouth before our next game! Joking apart, playing against teams with big burly attackers seems to be our achilles heel; unfortunately for us every team in the Championship (IPSPOO excepted) have one.

Unless Worthy can learn how to counter the physical nature of the league we''re in, we''re doomed. If he can''t, we must move on with someone else at the helm.

I personally hope he can pull us out of this self inflicted mire (the two week break will benefit us), but if he decides the job is too big, then why not give George Burley, sorry did I say Burley?!, meant George Graham, a shout?!

Maybe Martin O''Neil''s wife would benefit from some bracing Norfolk air, while she''s getting some, Martin could be doing a little sideline for us!

In or Out? Defeat at Ipswich would be the nail in the coffin, especially after what Preston did there today (the only silver lining!!)

Irrespective of Worthys past success, there can''t be many managers who have gotten their team relagated from the Premiership who have successfully led the team back the following season.

I know Bolton yo-yoed for a while and Curbishley managed it at Charlton. It seems to be stacked against Worthy to lead us back to the premiership.

Worthy seems to have lost the ability to motivate the players. Last night was different as we were down to 10 and already losing but there are matches we should have won.

I would only advocate a change if the new manager was an improvement - a name we recognise with proven ability at getting teams out of the Championship - not another backroom boy who was shining the boots until he got the job.

Oh yes...................................OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!.

After last night i NW should have the courage to say i have done all i can here it''s time for me to leave,before he puts us into div 1 as we are sitting second from bottom at the min!!!!!!.

When he does go he should take all his no good flunkies with him and i include hucks in them,last night he let himself done,the team and worst of all he let the fans down!!!!!!!!!.

NW should come out in public and say that his team is rubbish and that he is sorry for making them rubbish!!!!!.

I am still so p###ed off with them from last night that this is the last time i will post on this board till NW is gone,or he admits thinks are bad and he does something about it!!!!!!.

Don''t get me wrong as a member i want the team to do well but at the min it''s too painful to watch let alone talk about it,so i will say ON THE BALL CITY!!!!!!& GOODBYE.

Only 6 games into the new season, ok things are not going to plan, however Worthy has got us out of trouble before (we were bottom of the 1st Divison when he took over) and he will do it again. Overall other than the Stoke game, we have been unlucky not to have won games, the only reason we haven''t is down to players missing clear chances.

Give the manager 15 games, and then lets see where we are!

WORTHY IN!

I''ve supported City for nearly forty years and feel it would be a big mistake to sack the manager so early into the season.  I''ve been to most of the games this season (only missed the Crewe game and last nights game). As many people have said the main problems have been the misfiring forwards, even though Ashton has scored in every other game, and a lot of bad luck and bad refereeing decisions (which to his credit Worthy refuses to condemn) have made a heavy contribution so far.

It''s mainly a confidence thing in my opinion and changing the manager will not change that necessarily. Patience and confidence in the players and not panicking is the way out. Look at the mess Newcastle are now in after sacking Robson and the clearout that has caused so many problems there. As most people recognise, we have a good squad. A new manager will want to stamp his authority and possibly cause a lot of unrest with no improvement in results. I still feel that Worthington has the respect of his squad. If he hasn''t then of course he should go. 

We are now almost bottom but personally I feel that''s a false position based on the performances that I''ve seen and I''ve watched a lot of football over the years.

I read on the board that Shackell did not play too well last night. In his defence though, wasn''t he playing with a broken nose after Saturday or if not then at the least very severe bruising?

I agree with a previous poster that Worthington and the players must be given at least 15 games to turn things around and I believe that they will. 

Worthy IN!!

[quote]cheers malakite but you dont watch us week in week out and see that were really bad. it always seems from the outside he has done well, but if you know the club you know the bad buys, the poor tactics...[/quote]

Thanks mate. Hope you don''t think im trying to tell you what you should or should not know about Worthy of course. Just from an ''outside'' point of view, you have always been a very hard team to beat and break down. All I can think is that like us (losing to Luton then Wolves!) you need to adjust to the crappy Fizzy Pop league once again, and once you find your feet you will be fine. I fully expect palace, Norwich and SOuthampton to be there or thereabouts come the end of teh season...I cannot believe how well Southampton have started the season to be honest, especially after losing their entire strikeforce before the season kicked off!...

The Palace Vs Norwich games are becoming a right old fixture now....good battling on the pitch and great banter between the fans..I loved the "No diving" signs made for AJ and out Diving gestures to you lot every time Huckerby went over and Vice Versa when AJ went over..really good fun and a fantastic advert for Football, the play on the pitch was top notch too, end to end and either team could have won it for me...

I love your new stand..I visit Carrow Road quite a bit as my family now live in Norwich so i always look out for your results!

Before the season started I felt we had to wait until after the first ten games before we would be in a position to judge if a change was necessary. However in my wildest imagination I didn''t expect the position to look as grim as this at the end of August. The confidence of the fans has all but gone and you wonder how dressing room morale stands. I question how Worthy can lift the players and give them that winning feeling when he failed so dramatically to do so for the Fulham game. Sadly sometimes only a change of management and a fresh start will do it. Therefore he needs to go and hopefully he will resign to save us a few pounds. The interesting question now is will the board back him and if they do will they let him spend any more cash in the next couple of days.

It pains me to say it but I''m afraid Worthy your time is up, thanks for everything you have achieved with us, we won''t forget it and wish you well for the future.

[quote]Blimey they''re all popping out of the woodwork tonight - ruddy school holidays. "OUT! We can''t keep defending him on past achievement." But you want to sack him because of the last six resulkts whic...[/quote]

Sense amongst the lemmings, good to see.  Call me strange, but I for one will get behind my club.

In for me; but time is running out if performances continue like this.   

Defensive structure and midfield personnel changes are needed along with a far more cohesive tactical offensive approach is needed but Worthy can delive that IF he recognises where the problems lie.  It is NOT bad luck that we are sitting below poor teams like Brighton, plymouth, stoke or coventry who have far inferior squads to own own despite its midfield limitations.   

Having an opinion that does not agree with your own does not make anyone a lemming.

OTBC

In- for now but I am not going to bury my head in the sand and hope that things sort themselves out.  Worthy has got a lot of work to do on the evidence that I have seen.