Sign in to follow this  
Sooty57

How many points required?

A lot of the optimism on this board seems to be based on the premise that we will be playing teams who have nothing to play for. Surely the same applies to the teams around us e.g. Sunderland''s last game is against Swansea (already safe), Cardiff have Chelsea and Newcastle, Villa have Man City and Spurs.

I think it is quite possible that 2 of the bottom 5 could be on at least 36 points. Our awful goal difference means that we would need at least 37 points. The only way to achieve more than 36 points wis with 2 wins. I hope I''m wrong, but I just can''t see that happening.

I really hope I''m wrong but I think the most likely scenario is that we will finish rock bottom.

I think today has probably knocked the stuffing out of us.

The most frustrating thing is that we haven''t been in the bottom three all season until the time that we really don''t want to be.

I can''t see any team going down with 36 points from this position. I think 35 points keeps you up if you have an acceptable goal difference. Unfortunately Norwich do not so even a win against Arsenal may not actually be enough.

Stranger things have happened. Remember Carlos Tevez scoring the winner at Manure on the last day of the season? They were crowned champions but, WHU won and stayed up. Nobody gave us a chance that day. Never say never maybe? Good luck

Every year there is always one club pulled into it at the end, I''d like to think it will be villa but it will be us-we don''t have a team who deserve to be in the premier league.

I think Villa have done enough already (just about to stay up). If they don''t pick up any further batterings their goal difference should just about save them. However, it doesn''t mask the fact that they are an incredibly poor team who would have been relegated in a stronger Premiership field of previous years.

And therein lies the kick. Not being inside the relegation zone all season meant to some that we were not in danger. All season we''ve heard ''chill out guys, we''re not in the relegation zone, we''re 3 points from 12th'', whilst the football in front of our eyes was telling us we had major problems, the table gave some a false sense of security. 4 hardest games of the season at the end of the fixture list, cant score goals, cant defend. The writing has been on the wall the whol season, yet many were too blind to see it. Wiz was right when he said beating west ham could relegate us. Games like that kept the wool pulled over the eyes of those who counted

We''ve lost 5 in a row. Previously we had only ever lost two consecutive games. This is our worst run of the season and it''s going to kill us.

[quote user="Jimmy Bone - Superstar"]What we have all been fearing for a while Ricardo.

I think this season, league positions haven''t meant that much when you look at points on the board.[/quote]There''s very little between 7 or 8 teams but we have failed against those teams even when being the better side. Cardiff, WHam, WBA, Fulham etc should have at least been draws. The table would look entirely different had we drawn and not lost these games.In a relegation it''s as much about denying your rivals points as anything else. We have singularly failed in that respect.

True. -and what''s really frustrating is that it would have taken very little to get draws from those games. Last season CH made us defensively solid but this season we''ve been losing those vital games while actually being worse up front.

I actually think that if we beat Arsenal (and I think we can given they are likely to have secured the fourth spot and have the FA cup to think about - cue that guitar riff and Chris Rea singing "on the beach") - then that might be enough. It might not be enough but remember the bottom three side are all pretty poor as well. We do need Sunderland and Cardiff to draw today. But players can get sent off, refs give dodgy penalties, keepers have the game of their life...football is a funny old game! If I were a betting man, we are likely to go down but it''s not a certainty just yet.

[quote user="RvWs 4 year contract"][quote user="morty"]A lot depends on the result today.
[/quote]

Agreed. Come on Sunderland and Cardiff!

Hope they both avoid defeat!
[/quote]

I''ll Huzzah that.[Y]

A Cardifff win would be best for us today. After today I cannot see Cardiff picking up any more points. Although playing Newcastle who have been poor recently but Pardew and Remy back they will want to perform at home and Cardiff are poor away.

If Sunderland win a win against WBA will put them on 36 which will relegate us. I can see Swansea turning them over with Bony on form.

Fulham may get 1 more point and will not overtake us.

Chelsea if they lose to Liverpool will beat City as they need the points to finish 3rd. Hope Arsenal are on the beach because if we get stuck into them with FA Cup coming up will not want a battle.

Sunderland still have two very winnable home games left after today , we are gone now , only the i''s remain to be dotted.