Sign in to follow this  
hurricane

would we have been one point better off if we had kept hoots?

Could we of ground out a 0-0 with Fulham with some of hoots negative football or maybe even a draw at home with Liverpool?

NO. we''d have been tonked by the scousers and beaten by the same margin if not worse today....We''d be in the same mess but with an even worse GD

mrs miggins wrote the following post at 26/04/2014 9:39 PM:

Although of course we don''t know, his record here suggests that we would''ve.

How does his record suggest he would have? In those fixtures last season he lost both games 5-0!!

Mistake we made was keeping Hughton too long and then finally replacing him with the guy from canary call , we have been made to look so stupid , almost as pathetic as the team itself .

JF wrote the following post at 26/04/2014 9:43 PM:

How does his record suggest he would have? In those fixtures last season he lost both games 5-0!!

-----------------------

The most we''ve lost in a row under Hughton this season is 2. Adams has managed to beat this in his first 3 games.

Like I said before, we can only go on what evidence there is, taking personal agendas out. His record SUGGESTS that we would have at least picked up a point. That does not mean that he would''ve got at least a point. It means it suggests that we would''ve got at least a point.

[quote user="mrs miggins"]Although of course we don''t know, his record here suggests that we would''ve.[/quote]

How the hell do you work that out? Remind me what hughtons record away to Fulham was? 5-0 and 3-0 losses. Every time we played Liverpool under Hughton we conceded 5 goals. But no, lets forget Chris'' record, good old Chris would have come good in the end

I think the only game Hughton had a chance to get anything from was the Arsenal game and we don''t know how Adams will fare in that one yet or if it will be too late by then. Fulham have some hoodoo over us and I see no reason to suggest that would have changed, ditto Liverpool. Man U away is hardly a game where we should be expecting to target points which leaves the daunting task of Chelsea away to come. Hughton never had to face a run of games like this. It was well documented that we needed to be safe before them.

Interesting question this one. I genuinely don''t think we would have got anything out of the away games against Fulham and Man Utd under CH. We had already suffered heavy reverses at both Man Utd and Fulham this season in the cup and had lost 5 away matches in succession. I do not see how anyone can rationally believe we would have got anything from either as a result.

As for the Liverpool game - it would have required us to have kept a clean sheet under CH to get any kind of positive result. Given how we had been defending under CH and given Liverpool''s attacking prowess again I don''t see how that would have happened.

Ultimately, it was worth a try sacking CH in the hope that Adams could do something to lift the players and pinch a result. It doesn''t seem as if it will work but ultimately the blame lies with the board for not making the change after the 7-0 loss at Man City in November. It wasn''t lost by sacking CH after the West Brom when the writing was basically on the wall already.

[quote user="mrs miggins"]JF wrote the following post at 26/04/2014 9:43 PM:

-----------------------

The most we''ve lost in a row under Hughton this season is 2. Adams has managed to beat this in his first 3 games.

Like I said before, we can only go on what evidence there is, taking personal agendas out. His record SUGGESTS that we would have at least picked up a point. That does not mean that he would''ve got at least a point. It means it suggests that we would''ve got at least a point.[/quote]Errr.... no. As JF pointed out, Hootun''s record SUGGESTS (I don''t know why I''m shouting [8-)]) we''d have lost both games by a heavier scoreline.I know both you and Waveney are struggling with the fact that your faves have gone, but they''re not coming back, it''s time to move on dear.

I think we might have...he hadn''t lost the dressing room and seemed to have a knack of pulling it out the bag when needed...

jas the barclay king wrote the following post at 26/04/2014 10:18 PM:

I think we might have...

he hadn''t lost the dressing room and seemed to have a knack of pulling it out the bag when needed...

Like he did against West Brom...

Well, one thing for sure is that we couldn''t have had fewer points than we have now - it will have cost a lot to bin CH and his team and I''m certainly not sure it can (yet) be seen as a success. We may be playing with more freedom under Adams, but may well have been better keeping things tight given our situation.

Hughton might well have ground out something against Fulham and had a chance against Liverpool when you bear in mind how well we played against the bigger sides at home under him, but we''ll never know, we are where we are.

[quote user="JF"]jas the barclay king wrote the following post at 26/04/2014 10:18 PM:

I think we might have...

he hadn''t lost the dressing room and seemed to have a knack of pulling it out the bag when needed...

Like he did against West Brom...[/quote]and like he did Vs Hull.. and Westham.. and Man T!itty...

I was coming round to the idea of having Adams (oo err) after initially thinking ''wtf have you done sacking Hughton now.'' I won''t be complaining about the replacement of Hughton unless we lose every game under Adams as Chris really can''t do any worse than that.

I think instead of looking against previous games played against that team which you only play twice a year, I would think when looking at what kind of result you will get, is based on consistency. How likely you manage to pick up points within a run of 5 games say, how the manager picks up the players, or doesn''t. How many times does your team get any point(s) at home, how many do they get away.

Houghton should have gone ages ago but when it got this late on, he should have stayed until the end of the season.

He had a decent record against the top sides (overall whilst here, this season not so much admittedly), and he usually scraped out a result when we needed one. He couldn''t have got any less points than Adams has done and his tactics have been right against top sides once or twice. He''d have been the better option.

For me, should have gone late December time (after Man City to be honest), and replaced by a proper manager. But swapping him for Adams with 5 games left was stupid.

Fact - we aren''t and we didn''tOpinion - we wouldn''t have anyway but if we''d have gotten rid of him sooner, we might now be more than 1 point better off

It''s possible and IMHO very likely.

So, Yes. Daft tin pot decision to sack CH with 5 games left. Even more tin pot to appoint a youth coach. If I was a player it would erk me to be managed by someone with no experience at men''s Footie!b

I think the idea was that Adams was a quick solution, someone who could come into the job and hit the ground running - already knows the club and the players and how in his opinion things needed changing. Appointing someone external is a change you make in the summer. After initially making the decision to change the manager at this stage, the board could hardly have appointed anyone else. Any new manager would have needed time to familiarise himself with the club and assess the players. When you sack a manager with 5 games left, time is something you dont have.

I think the decision to sack was all about the Fulham game. Last 4 have bean earmarked as defeats from day 1 so board probably thought the Fulham game was our last chance to pick up points and decided that the best chance of this happening was with the bounce effect of a new manager. It didnt work sadly, but dont think it was much of a gamble as im convinced we''d have lost that game under hughton, and the final 4 as well. We may still do this, but we had to try something

The timing of results couldn''t have been much worse than they have been this season.

Every time Hughton seemed to have sunk without trace, he kept us a win away from mid-table. Until recently it was ridiculously close from about 10th to 16th, with those below looking to be cut adrift. Then, at precisely the wrong moment, Hughton''s survival streak deserts him & the bottom clubs start getting freak results.

Even if nobody else thinks it, I think the board acted completely rationally. The pattern of results - up to that crucial moment - made it look like Chris would scrape the necessary points. But then we flatlined. At this point everything becomes a desperate gamble, & he''s not capable of gambling. The only hope is that by shaking everything up something unexpected can happen - good or bad. The bad was looking inevitable anyway (the team looked beat & Hughton wasn''t going to revive them), so they just prayed the unexpected turned up good.

I think a lot depended on the Fulham result. The chances of anything good after that were remote, & are now rapidly diminishing.

The game he really needed to pull it out of the bag, we lost to West Brom.  Had we won that, we would have been 4 points clear of Fulham, two points clear of West Brom and level on points with Aston Villa.

Lots of short memories on this thread.Absolutely no chance. Under Hughton we''d have had 3 dismal performances instead of just the one.

Guess we''ll never know.Changing our manager has hardly had the impact some people were perhaps expecting though.