Sign in to follow this  
Keith Burts Chin

Why did McNally play fast and loose with the club's future?

After Hughton''s first season he should have been on probation this. The transfer business last summer gave him the tools for the job. All the ''must win'' games where we pulled a result, did the board never look at the bigger picture? You don''t get to ''must win'' games unless your form has been poor.

Given how ruthless McNally was with Bryan Gunn and how he strained every sinew to keep Lambert where has he been this season? That stupid ''he''s only failing when we''re in the bottom three'' business. Have we had such idiocy from our board since Robert Chase?!

This Norwich team should not be going down and we wouldn''t be going down had adams been in charge ten games earlier. By the time of West Brom it seemed that it was only the board and Mick Dennis who thought Hughton should have been anywhere near the place.

If any of us had shown such rank incompetence in our jobs we''d be our on our ear.

McNally answers to the Board, its not just down to him.[:|]

"McNally answers to the Board, its not just down to him"

I don''t buy that, can''t imagine it was Delia''s bidding that kicked Gunn out. I think the board would back McNally''s judgement.

You live and die by your decisions. History will show he got this one wrong.

It''s time to move on.

[quote user="Waveney Canary"]He is first to go in the summer clear out in my opinion. To make way for the return of the Messiah[/quote]

What? Doncaster? [:S]

What you got wrong is Adams in charge ten games earlier

Adams ain''t good enough. End of never will be he''s a radio presenter

They should have sacked him after the 7-0 and got a manager who is a manager

Hughton''s supporters on the Board (whether that includes McNally or not) couldn''t bring themselves to sack him when the league table showed we were out of the drop zone.

The tragedy is that such generosity and willingness to accept low ambitions has cost us in the end ... as many fans predicted when Hughton remained employed after he should have gone by October at the latest.

[quote user="alartz"]What you got wrong is Adams in charge ten games earlier Adams ain''t good enough. End of never will be he''s a radio presenter They should have sacked him after the 7-0 and got a manager who is a manager[/quote]

Remind me who we play in our last 4 games ...........now name me a manager to beat that little lot?

And show some respect you bloody fool.

I will start my post by saying overall McNally as done a fantastic job here and should not get the boot, we are still in a strong financial position and relegation should not cause the same issues it did back in 2005. However, the board and McNally need to admit to their mistakes over the past two seasons and cut their bonuses accordingly with an internal inquest carried out.

I don''t think anyone can blame the board for keeping Hughton on after finishing 11 last season, however i would have hoped the position we finished would be seen for what it was, relatively lucky, if not for two crazy games at the end of the season we would not have been in such a lofty position - i think this ''false'' position resulted in Hughton having more time this season than he should have. Going into this season the board should have told Hughton that after a £30m outlay on players performances had to improve, it shouldn''t have been enough to flirt just outside the bottom 3. Unfortunately, almost every fan could see they wern''t improving and we were once again in a ''false'' position in the league due to our final run-in, which has proved as problematic as any sane person could have predicted.

Ultimately, it appears as if the board were lulled into another false sense of security this season, as they had been with the previous seasons final position.

The refusal by the board to spend any money last January was a big gamble, but ultimately we got lucky and it paid off. To then throw your chips in again and not spend any money when our position seemed even more precarious this January has been catastrophic. There were two choices in Jan; trust in Hughton and give him some money, or don''t trust him with any more money and bring in a replacement. Instead the board did neither and we see the result of that today.

[quote user="alartz"]What you got wrong is Adams in charge ten games earlier Adams ain''t good enough. End of never will be he''s a radio presenter They should have sacked him after the 7-0 and got a manager who is a manager[/quote]

Not saying he''s definetely the right choice long term, he was the easiest, cheapest option but I feel the upturn in performances albeit marginal over the long haul would have given us the one or two more wins we needed. Then judge it in the summer. If he''d been given 15 games then we could have seen what progress, if any, he was making and that would have allowed the board to make the judgement call in the summer. 

I don''t buy this thing about it needs to be seasoned campaigner with years of experience. A lot is about chemistry, who thought Hughton wasn''t right when he was appointed? he ticked every box but it just never happened. He might go somewhere else and succeed. This is also known as ''The Cureton Curse''! Most groaned when Lambert was appointed, here goes little Norwich again, going cheap but it all clicked. Point is, we won''t know on these few games if Adams could have been appointed permanently but we would have done with a longer run.

[quote user="priceyrice"] However, the board and McNally need to admit to their mistakes over the past two seasons and cut their bonuses accordingly with an internal inquest carried out.

There were two choices in Jan; trust in Hughton and give him some money, or don''t trust him with any more money and bring in a replacement. Instead the board did neither and we see the result of that today.[/quote]

Agree with what you have said especially the parts above

I wonder if there was a misguided attempt to cut back on the compensation fees we have been forced to spend over the last umpteen years. Money that could have been spent on buying some decent players.

I''m sick of heating this "he only answers to the board" nonsense - as chief exec he will have the most influence. He willl come out with this excuse when things go bad but when things are good (which seems like a long time ago) he parades himself as a messiah. He has got us in this mess make no mistake and I wish he would just say "sorry" but he won''t because he is a politician - and not a very good one at that.

The Adams gamble should of been taken after the Swansea game, that would of given him a home game to get the 3 points and with that a target to get 1 more point and 36 in total would of just about seen us limp over the line. Giving Adams basically 1 winnable game was absolute madness and showed the board well and truly messed up. Ultimately they should of sacked Hughton last autumn and bought in an experienced pro who could of then had a transfer budget in January to play with. I am afraid all paths of failure return back to McNally and the board of directors. They screwed up and McNally will step down, but won''t be sacked.

Adams thought he could keep us up - it was a tough ask, but he had to get a result at Fulham. He didn''t and nor have we looked likely since.

If he takes us down, you can''t reward failure.

McNally wanted hughton out about 2 months before he fired him also the must win games were also after the board questioned hughtons tactics and put huge pressure on him to change them

this is the exact words from a associate director I know they also said that it was not a easy as just sacking a manager i don''t know if they meant money or other things like attracting a new manager ? but this person is in the know and very straight talking i do think myself that McNally wanted him gone when he done the interview saying it was a result business and worse than death

Whats "fast and loose" about paying off our debts and establishing a top class youth academy?

McN has to listen to the Board, and there were suggestions earlier that there was resistance to sacking the nice man Mr.Hughton. He also has to accept players which the manager wishes to sign, if within the budget, as the manager has the last word on signings and disposals.

It was apparently Hughton''s persistence that led to the signing of Hooper, and probably also of RvW. McN''s input was to conduct negotiations over signings and to do the administration He put considerable effort in one or two cases, - even flying to Italy.

The only possible criticism of McN is that he was too late in sacking Hughton, but bearing in mind the financial ramifications of sacking a manager, I don''t think that this was entirely in his power acting on his own, and on several occasions Hughton delivered a good result which suggested things were improving. McN and the Board have to bear a collective responsibility.

Morty as per usual hits the nail on the head.

Right now many on here a what I would call in a mourning situation, and with that come the need to blame someone. The bottom line is that our club was very very close to going out of business not so long ago and had many other issues too, and that despite this step backwards is actually in an excellent position financially and also as a business, as a football club right now than before McNally came along.

Sure this season hasnt worked out, but it has been clear throughout that he and the board were trying to play the situation as best as they could, with the underlying desire for continuity at the club whilst also knowing it would be a huge gamble changing manager at almost any time this season. Why? well because we actually did have a very qualified manager at the helm already, whether some like that statement or not, its true......I am not saying he didnt make mistakes or whether he should or shouldnt have been sacked, but thats the facts and the dilema isnt it.........oh so easy for us all to sit at our keyboards and be the experts, particularly with hindsight.

So, did Mcnally "play fast and loose with the club''s future".........of course he didnt, he/they made a decision/s this season that havnt worked out......but we are still as a club much much fitter than we have been for years and have every chance of bouncing back.....with McNally at the helm....and a manager of real quality........ perhaps with NA as part of a quality coaching team........reward for taking on what is a poison challice...   

Can I just point out to more than one poster on this thread that McNally is a director of NCFC not just Chief exec.

Do people really think the answer is for all-but everyone to be sacked/resign? What on earth sort of good would that sort of bloodletting do, other than to appease some of the fans? We should be concentrating all efforts on nailing down our next manager, clearing out/getting in the players needed and setting ourselves up for August, imo the last thing we need is a new Board as well.

The close season this year is going to be harder than usual with the World Cup taking over everything, and we need to hit the ground running as soon as the season finishes