Sign in to follow this  
Making Plans

Most fouled player - interesting stats

RVW & Elmander - each been fouled 16 times each this season (ranked = 178 of all PL players)Hooper - been fouled 12 times this season (ranked 225 of all PL players)Compare that to -Grant Holt (2012/13) - fouled 55 times, ranked 17thGrant Holt (2011/12) - fouled 56 times, ranked 10thorRobert Snodgrass (2011/12) - fouled 87 times, ranked 3rdRobert Snodgrass (2013/14) - fouled 74 times, ranked 2ndI feel sure there''s a theme here somewhere

Players like Holt and Snoddy try and keep possession and hold of the ball drawing fouls. All those who continually berate Snoddy would do well to notice these stats. If it wasn''t for him we''d have even less possession and the defence would be under the cosh even more!

[quote user="nutty nigel"]Players like Holt and Snoddy try and keep possession and hold of the ball drawing fouls. [/quote]Exactly

Spot on NN. Snodgrass is by far our best outfield player and deserves a move to another PL side when we go down. As for the others, I can''t imagine there will be many takers. We have badly missed a forward prepared to get stuck in, he the ball up and take the knocks. I would say RVW would have been far better had he had Holt up top with him.

Hooper''s quite strong so you''d expect him to have drawn more fouls but he also has trouble holding the ball.

We analyse the goals and apportion blame but the truth is that because we can''t ever keep possession of the ball away from our goal, especially away from home, the defence are under constant pressure. And if you''re on the end of wave after wave of attacks from the sort of quality Man U have any defence would be breached.

[quote user="Making Plans"][quote user="nutty nigel"]Players like Holt and Snoddy try and keep possession and hold of the ball drawing fouls. [/quote]Exactly[/quote]They''re also exceptionally good at diving, and do it a lot.In the case of Holt he was a very clever footballer who knew how to play the game and draw a foul when required. I would imagine a very high number of those "fouls" came when we were under pressure and he was the only man in the opponents half with no passing options available.

[quote user="Holtcantshoot"]In the case of Holt he was a very clever footballer who knew how to play the game and draw a foul when required. I would imagine a very high number of those "fouls" came when we were under pressure and he was the only man in the opponents half with no passing options available.[/quote]Isn''t that what you want from a forward

[quote user="Making Plans"][quote user="Holtcantshoot"]In the case of Holt he was a very clever footballer who knew how to play the game and draw a foul when required. I would imagine a very high number of those "fouls" came when we were under pressure and he was the only man in the opponents half with no passing options available.[/quote]Isn''t that what you want from a forward[/quote]

Hucks and Iwan were also good at that. It''s up to the defender to win the ball ny fair means. If he can''t then it''s a free kick. Holt got lambasted for it in his time here. Interestingly by the same people who said he wasn''t good enough for each league as we got there. I reckon they''re just poor judges[;)]

[quote user="Making Plans"][quote user="Holtcantshoot"]In the case of Holt he was a very clever footballer who knew how to play the game and draw a foul when required. I would imagine a very high number of those "fouls" came when we were under pressure and he was the only man in the opponents half with no passing options available.[/quote]Isn''t that what you want from a forward[/quote]Too right, he wasn''t technically gifted but his reading of the game and decision making made him a Premier League quality striker IMO. Much like Huckerby he always got abuse hurled at him from the opposition fans, and that''s really the highest praise you can get in football.